BOTB-Brockburst!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by LPCollector, Dec 22, 2008.

1. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

Here is Josh's new beauty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

*drools*

3. brockburst

brockburst Banned

I think this was worth selling the crazy blue quilt Yamano LP for this? Agree?

LOL :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

4. LPCollector

Without a doubt.........a true Blue Chip guitar that I would love to own. :thumb:

5. brockburst

brockburst Banned

Any way to check for sure if its a Brazilian Board?

6. brockburst

brockburst Banned

I checked the flick o flash brazilian checker and I dont think my number falls in any range...i suppose i could just call gibson

7. LPCollector

Josh,
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news........but the BOTB's weren't verified Brazilians.

Do contact Gibson.....I'd be curious to their response.

8. brockburst

brockburst Banned

Oh I don't care really, its a pretty board anyway. Was just curious, I will let you know what they say.

9. brockburst

brockburst Banned

I contacted gibson, they told me to email because the guy I talked to knew nothing on the phone....we will see what they dig up. Also asked about the history and everything else. Id like to know how these even were acquired originally and what they sold for.

10. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Josh, congratulations, and welcome to the BOTB club! That's a rare beauty, and one that I'd be honored to have in my "little" collection!

Frank

11. brockburst

brockburst Banned

So far this is what I have from the original owner...anyone know anything else of the history, etc. etc.

When I was approached to first buy her back in 03', I paid cash for her, sight unseen. The day she arrived I get a phone call from the original owner, and he offered me $3K over what I paid for it, stating " I have made a mistake". As the story goes, he was a "superuser" with Gibson. I will keep his name confidential, as he is funny like that, this collector from Houston is. Anyway, when TM was searching for the wood to start the BOTB collection, mr. collector was first in line. In fact, he was there before TM even sprayed her. Brians guitar was actually at Gibson when TM picked the Rockhard top for this guitar, and the rest is history. While the BOTB collection has multiple clones of many of the guitars in the book, out of courtesy and respect to "mr. collect", only one 9 0913 was made, and I have no reason to believe this is not 100% true.

12. delawaregold

delawaregold _______Artie_______ Super Mod

It's a nice story.

13. pinefd

Just a couple of corrections to the information that was stated here...first of all, there was more than just one of the Brockburst BOTB guitars made, and secondly, TM did not paint any of these BOTB guitars. They were all painted in-house (at the Custom Shop), and Murphy applied the ageing only.

Frank

14. brockburst

brockburst Banned

He wasn't saying that he had the only BOTB Brockburst recreation, he was just saying my BOTB is the only one with the 9 0913 Serial number. I know that you have a BOTB Brockburst, what serial number does yours have? I love #12 in that 20 burst collage you have on the other thread, and love your BOTB Brock which I believe is the first one.

He is forwarding me an email that he has directly from Brian Brock and Tom Murphy where Tom did pick out the wood and paint this guitar. We will see what that says, Gibson so far has not been helpful as the phone representative claimed this guitar's replica number does not fall in any other run that he can find. So I had to send an email and am waiting for a response.

Josh

15. pinefd

Josh, that would be very cool if Tom painted it too! It's possible that Tom did it. I just know that the rest of the BOTB series was painted in-house, and just aged by Tom.

Regarding the serial number, all the BOTB Brockbursts (all 2 or 3 of them) had that same serial number. Just as all the Stanleybursts had the same 9 1876 serial number on the back of the headstock. But in the pickup cavity (or control cavity...I can't remember), you'll find the actual serial number of the guitar. So, as an example, my BOTB Stanleyburst has the 9 1876 serial number on the headstock, and its real # 9 31302 is tucked away in the pickup (or control) cavity.

With regard to Gibson's lack of response to the serial number, you need to ask them about the real #, and not the Brockburst #. Both numbers are on the BOTB certificate.

And I do not have one of the BOTB Brockbursts (I wish I did). What I have is the guitar named Brock 2. It was a '94 R9 that Murphy re-painted in late '94/early '95, at the request of Ed A., to look just like the original Brockburst. And you're right, that is the first guitar shown in my collage...#12 may be for sale, in case you're interested. :cool:

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more info about your Brock! :)

Frank

16. delawaregold

The guitar's Serial Number is located in the control cavity.

[​IMG]

17. pinefd

Thanks for the clarification, Artie. I remember looking at mine when I first got it, but didn't remember where it was.

18. brockburst

brockburst Banned

Well I have the email from Brian Brock, that is pretty interesting. According to him directly, there are only 2 of these in existance, both made for him directly, he chose the one he wanted and the other went to the gibson superuser and then the studio owner who I got it from.

Gibson not proving to be helpful as it turns out they have eliminated all record of ANY BOTB recreations because apparently they did not get the go ahead from some owners to make replicas to begin with. Brian wanted a replica made because "he regretted selling it in 1983" so that's the story behind this one. Gibson will not "confirm or deny" the year, brazilian (brock says its brazilian), or really any other information about it. So I appear to be at a complete standstill...anyone know how to get ahold of tom murphy...:) haha

19. delawaregold

Guitar Preservation ~ 800 S. Virginia Ave. Marion, IL 62959 ~ 618.997.9067

20. delawaregold

Josh ~
    Have you had any luck contacting Mr. Murphy?
    In any event, I would really like to see more pictures of your guitar.
    Maybe a cavity shot or two, and a close up of the Fretboard.