Bossman's kit build

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by bossman302, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Boss, hope you don't mind if I steal that glue idea from you, lol.

Should I try it use it on the few gaps in binding that I have to fill up? I'll be doing a tobacco burst, so, if I glue it up, sand it back, that the paints, will cover them up anyway?

2. EagleOnyx

EagleOnyx Senior Member

Hey Bossman, I wanted to thank you for the tip on using the brad point bit to mark the tailpiece and stuff. I was wracking my mind trying to come up with a good way to do it until I read your post here. I did a couple tests on some pine and wasn't able to get the studs at the correct spacing until I read you post here.

I drew lines with a straight edge against the sides of the neck, marked the scale length line and then sorta eyballed a good distance away from where the bridge was going to go. I used a ruler to get both sides roughly equal distance from the pickup rout and eyballed the tail centered with the lines from the neck and marked the holes with your technique. It worked great. Then I did the same for the bridge using a cut up Guitar Center gift card as shims, tuned and intonated the outer strings, marked the holes for the bridge with a brad point and then drilled them by hand. I got the shim tech from a post on here as well.

3. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Awesome! I'm glad I was able to help you out.

I haven't posted in a while but I’m happy to report that this project is done. It plays great for the most part. The frets need work. I have some fret buzz but unfortunately I don't have the tools or the know how to fix it. If anyone local is willing to give hand that would be helpful. I will post pics this week.

4. jordans0nly

Boss, I'm no where near finishing mine. 3rd shift runs my life it seems and the days I'm off, I'm catching up on the things I don't get done during the week.

Plus, I accidentally ran over my Martin 000-16GT Custom the other day so now THAT'S in the shop getting fixed. I'm really scared at how much it will cost to fix.

All that I have left is to glue the neck, drill my bridge and tail piece holes and then sand and stain.

5. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your Martin. I hope it all works out in the end.

6. jordans0nly

Thanks, me too.

7. MBrennan

MBrennan Senior Member

8. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Alright guys, here are some shots of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. njk

njk Senior Member

Holy smoke, thats superb, love the colour and the contrast with the back and the binding. How is it? Please tell me it was worth all the effort.

10. tvr

tvr Senior Member

Looks fantastic Bossman, love the grain on the back! Color is awesome! Hope it plays as well as it looks! My G kit Goldtop has become my main guitar, hopefully yours will as well! Well done, great axe

11. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Its greats. It still needs to have some work done on the frets but otherwise it plays and sounds great. Well worth it.

Thanks man! I love the way it turned out. It wasn't the way I envisioned it but it turned out beautiful. It’s currently my number 2 so time will tell if it will become number one.

12. tvr

tvr Senior Member

# 2? Give it time ;-) Ironically, I am now going to sell my Gibson Custom Black Beauty (shown in the picture with the Kit Goldtop in my Avatar)...not saying the one I built is better than a Custom, but I actually like the way it plays as much, really like the P90's sound and figure the BB needs a home where it will get more play time....I grabbed a used BFG that I am going to refinish to keep a real Gibson in the house as well....I wasn't sure what color it was going to be, but after seeing your kit, I have now decided its going to be red....did you use a dye?

13. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

I used trans tint bright red. It can be mixed with water or alcohol. I mixed with alcohol. This isy first red guitar and I couldn't be happier.

14. tvr

tvr Senior Member

Thanks....will try7 to duplicate the great color you got on the BFG Tks, and congrats again on a great build

15. dschwartz

dschwartz Senior Member

I know this is an old post but..what a coincidence..we had a baby too on my first build..