Bossman's kit build

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by bossman302, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Alright guys. Finally done with the removal of the binding.

The heat gun is the difference maker. What I was doing wrong with the gun was aiming the gun on the binding, then MOVING it away. I just left it on the binding while continually scraping and moving along slowly. Removal was a snap!

Here is the pic of how it looks with the wood chisel. I used the flat one, about the width of from the bottom of the channel up to the top.

[​IMG]

Now, there are a few "rough" spots around the horn and near the toggle.

Here is the horn...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, that little chip near front, near the pocket just was stuck on the binding.
    I just hope that when I put the new binding on, that I can somehow fill in the "rough" spots somehow. Any idea's guys?

Here is the other "spot" around the toggle..

[​IMG]

See it? When I was using the "blade" method before I finally figured out the heat trick, that little piece of wood, fell off as well, lol..But hey, I'm trying..

Here are the rest of the pix. Let me know if the channel is clean enough...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Looks good Sonny! If you still have the peices of wood that came off you can try just gluing them back on

3. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Made some great progress today. I was able to get the bridge the tail piece installed and I didn’t use a drill press.

First thing I did was put down some blue tape. Next I measured the scale length measuring from the nut to the 12th fret. I then doubled the measurement to get 24 ¾. Made a couple of marks and drew a straight line to get an idea where the bridge goes. I then used that line to figure out where to put the tail piece. I then rigged up the tail piece using a clamp and both E strings. This allowed me to get the strings in alignment. It was a little tricky this was but it worked.

[​IMG]

Once everything was lined up I used a brad point drill bit to make the center location.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So as I said above I don’t have a drill press so I just used my hand drill. I used a speed square to help make sure I kept the drill as square as possible. I used tape so I would know how far to drill.

[​IMG]

For the bridge I just used the method where you shim the bridge, intonate the strings and then mark the holes. Didn’t really document this part since there are a few how to on this already.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Rob, you suck, lol. I'm playing catch up so to speak. So hopefully, the glueing will go fine in a bit and then tomorrow, I'm going to try and get the neck pocket right, then glue the neck.

I still have NO clue how I'll get the holes drilled, I'm nervous if i do it myself..

Oh, and thanks man!!!

5. Sea Ranch

Sea Ranch Senior Member

Rob, this is very creative; certainly I never thought of using a clamp to hold the tailpiece in place (for all those wondering, standard practice is to attach ball end of strings to an old trapeze tailpiece, attached on the rim at the site of the future strap button). Egg-cellent. :thumb:

You must be very happy to have things in place.

I take it you didn't mock up the humbuckers to finetune alignment of strings over polepieces (obviously Gibson doesn't either!). Just wondering; you probably ran pencil lines down from both sides of the neck to find the centerline for the bridge/tailpiece . . . ?

I'm envious; still waiting on time for mine :fingersx:

6. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Thanks Randy. The clamp did the trick but I will admit that I was sensitive to any kind of movement. In the end it worked well.

I did not align the strings to the polepieces on the pickups because I'm using EMG's. Since they don't have poles that are visible I wanted to make sure the strings aligned down the fret board.

Very happy with the way things have turned out so far.

7. Sea Ranch

Sea Ranch Senior Member

Right. I remember you saying EMGs earlier!

So excellent, bro! Keep enjoying yourself!!

8. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Started applying the finish today. Won’t go in to much detail since you can find info on this already.
    Most of my guitars are blue or black and I really wanted a red one. Really liking the way the color has turned out.

Here it is with a coat of black dye to highlight the flame. I didn’t realize just how much figure there was in the top till I applied the dye.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Here I sand back the black dye.
    [​IMG]

And here it is with the red dye applied.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to grain filling.

9. longan

longan Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxFeS47OZ8]YouTube - Chris de Burgh - Lady in Red 1996[/ame]

10. abfackeln

abfackeln Member

bossman, that's looking pretty awesome!

11. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Alright! Way to go! Lookin' great!

Frank

12. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Thanks guys!!! Was able to get the grain filler done. Now I need to figure out how I want to finish the back.

13. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

Is the spacing of the e-strings off or is that just an optical illusion in the pics? It probably is because of the different string gauges.

Looks nice. So this will be the first finished "he-who-shall-not-be-named" kit?

14. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Its just an illusion

I don't think I will be the first one. I belive abfackeln has one and his has been cleared.

15. rebel yell

rebel yell Junior Member

thanks for the tail piece install pics..i have a question though. after commin up with your scale of 24 3/4 how did you figure out where to set the tail piecw off that measurement? im assuming the bridge went at the 24 3/4 line and whats the measurement to the tailpiece from that? hope thats not awefull dumb sounding.

16. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

1 1/2 inches is what I went with.

17. rebel yell

rebel yell Junior Member

a big thanks for the much needed info..kudos for your helpin us newbies..
    so you went from the 243/4 measurement and measured down 1 1/2 and made the tail piece straight across at the measurement?

again..a huge thanks..ive been studying and just couldnt put the idea together until the pics came.

i think im gonna go ahead and buy a bulldog bodies kit unless ive missed something and another kit is out now with good quality and a good price.

1 more question? what size bit did you use for your stud holes?

18. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

Correct.

For the tail peice bushings I used a 7/16 bit. I don't remember what size is used for the bridge bushings

19. rebel yell

rebel yell Junior Member

10-4.....you made my brain stop hurting..:)

im sure there will be many more questions comming your way..what kit did you use? bulldog bodies?

20. bossman302

bossman302 Senior Member

This is a George M kit.