Boss Katana 2x12 cab coming

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Vortex, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

A 2x12 for the Katana is in the works. I was already having one built when I got the head so I'm already covered. Mine (pic below) measures 29"x18"x12" w/ convertible back.

[​IMG]

AmpedUp likes this.
  2. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

Nice cab!

Your pedal board is equipped exactly the same as mine.

Jimmy

Vortex likes this.
  3. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Yeah that pretty much covers it. Especially now w/ the update. I'm just going to add a vol pedal.

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Does the foot switch come with the 100 watt head? If not how much extra $$$?

How do you like the low volume speaker for quiet practice?

I have been wondering about getting the 100 watt combo for 2 purposes:

1. I need a second amp for jamming when friends and family come by.

2. possibly running the AX8 would sound through the FX loop return, using the Katana as a powered monitor, ala how some use the Mustang III (reportedly sounds very good, too). :hmm:

5. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

The Roland footswitch is extra. It's $100.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...0000000?rNtt=katana footswitch roland&index=1

The speaker works well for practice & working on patches. I've only used it a few times when I first got it though. I've gigged w/ the Katana and used the 50w setting so it's more than adequate for jams. I have some vids on here somewhere.

I wouldn't know about running the AX8. I have a Helix but never ran it through an amp. And since the Katana software update there's enough stuff in there to keep you busy.

mdubya likes this.
  6. Robotechnology

Robotechnology V.I.P. Member

I think you’re better off with the head and pairing it with a 1x12 or 2x12 that you like. I have the head and use a DV Mark 1x12. Using a modeler through the return works quite well—I’ve used it with an Axe FX II and an Amplifire 3. I purchased it because my previous job required weekly hotel stays so instead of paying $300 for say the Yamaha TH5, I got a real amp I could use out live AND an all in one low volume amp solution. Do I love the way the internal speaker sounds... honestly I’d give it a 6 on a 1-10 scale. Not horrible... serviceable but, what can you expect from a 5” speaker right? In a heartbeat, where low volume is a priority, I wouldn’t hesitate to use the head’s onboard speaker. But where it doesn’t have to be whisper quiet, I’d of course use a separate cab.

mdubya likes this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Great feedback. Thank you, guys! :applause::thumb:

*Good thing I am too tired to order one right now. :lol:

8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

FWIW-the AX8 is my travel rig. Now I am considering adding more to my work away from home, home.

5 guitars
    a couple of rigs
    a bunch of pedals
    a bag full of cords and cables and pick and strings

All for my temporary digs.

I don't have a problem.

Really.