Boss DS-1... like it/hate it/DIY mods/ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by quentin, Apr 11, 2010.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

For years, I was a hater of the DS-1, but it SO much just depends on what your setup is and what you plan on doing with it. When I started, I was playing cheap single coil pickups through small 15W amps by Crate or Marshall. It sounded thin and annoying as hell, so I think I sold it.

But then I repurchased it because they're $40 or less and so many people swear by them. Now that I finally a nicer tube amp and a Les Paul, it actually sounds "good" again, except I'm not really sure what to do with it. For a pedal that "everybody owns", I think it's a surprisingly weird distortion. There's a bit of nastiness to it, but it can still be shrill and harsh, and it doesn't "sing" for soloing like many others do. But I'm keeping it this time!

2. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Senior Member

Do the teledog mod and you'll love it. Otherwise you'll end up using it as a paperweight in a bit! Just sayin' bro'....

Wade

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

Update here...

Picked up the Keeley DS-1 Ultra Mod on a whim, and my first impression with it was terrific! I had dismissed it for awhile because of my dislike for the DS-1 itself, but the Keeley mod on that pedal really is an entirely different beast. CRAZY high output level, which is the exact opposite of the DS-1.

I see some people who think the Ultra Mod is the best thing ever, and other people trash it as if it's the same as the original DS-1. I think the DS-1, as a whole is misunderstood. Given the name, age, and simplicity of it, people pull it out of the box expecting a "classic rock" pedal, but really, it's more of a heavy metal, harsh sound. I think thousands of players now in their 30's and 40's (myself included) listened to 80's rock or grunge, and bought that pedal because it was a BOSS and it was $40 new. But it really isn't meant to do that at all. It's too bright and completely missing the midranges, and a lot of the guitar work I was trying to do needed a fuller, even "muddier" sound.

If you have a Strat or other single coil guitar, even the mod may be unusable. But with humbuckers or a Les Paul, I think you can really kick out some nice tone with that thing.

4. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I think the Keeley DS1 plays pretty well with single coils. :)

5. zontar

zontar Senior Member

I have used an unmodded DS-1 for years--and I love it.

So I won't do the mod myself.

Every modded one I've heard doesn't do it for me like the unmodded DS-1

But then I also have an Empress Effects Distortion & a DOD FX 53 so I can get a variety of distortion tones for the song, amp and guitar I am playing at that time.
    I sometimes use 2 or 3 a the same time so i can use the strong points of each.
    And i have a DF-2, which is basically the same as a DS-1, but with a feedback feature.

I have no plans to mod any of those pedals.
    I love them as they are.

Not a paper weight in the bunch.

6. icantbuyafender

icantbuyafender Senior Member

Not gonna lie.

I got one given to me by a friend who never used it and found it.

I was using a solid state amp and the sound was enough to convince me there was a cat trapped inside it trying to get out.

But years later once i discovered tube amps....the ds-1 is my go-to distortion

You NEED a good warm tube amp to really appreciate it, IMHO.

Had i not plugged it in when drunk about a year ago, I'd still be on the anti-ds-1 bandwagon. Literally almost a decade after being disgusted by it, it has redeemed itself.

7. Thecasualtourist

Thecasualtourist Junior Member

I just did the Ds-1 d4/d5 diode mod(Teledog mod). It's pretty good, and quite easy to do. I running a Black Heart Little Giant with the ds-1, it's getting a nice crunch very AC/DC thing going on. Thanks for the mod!:dude:

8. Sixstring63

Sixstring63 Senior Member

A DS-1 is a very good pedal to mod. I have done many mods to this cheap pedal over the years with some great results. The only mod I tried on it and did not like was the Keeley mod. I know people rave over it but it was just too saturated and muddy for my taste. Some of the stuff I have done made it much more open and smooth sounding, more of a good overdrive than a straight up distortion. Here's a sample. Camera mic did not give the best audio but close enough to hear the difference.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9PkNpGzaE]Boss DS-1 stock to mod comparison - YouTube[/ame]

9. blues_man_zep

blues_man_zep Senior Member

Im hearing mixed feelings about the keely mod, thinking about sending it but I dont know if im gonna yet.

10. Sustainamaniac

Sustainamaniac Senior Member

Sorry for the necropost, but has anyone tried using a boost into a Ds-1 with this mod? It sounds like a good idea but I would miss the higher gain tones I can get from it now. If I was to do the mod and then cascade my Soul Food into it, would it get a similar fuzz-type distortion without the bad EQ of the normal pedal?

11. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Senior Member

There is one key change that all pedal modders miss , and this makes the DS1 come ALIVE !! The DS1 can be a pretty darn good Dist. with the right stuff done inside .... Stock DS1's imo were horrible !