Boss DS-1... like it/hate it/DIY mods/ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by quentin, Apr 11, 2010.

1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

You mean, 80% of players have crappy tastes.

zontar likes this.
  2. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

It's not a pedal I keep on my board and does nothing for me, but there are a lot of big name rockstars that have sworn by it. Chavelle, Nirvana, Satch and Vai to name a few.

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

for the record, the modded DS1 sounds great as a bass OD/distortion :dude:

4. PurpleFlanger

PurpleFlanger Member

I wish it retained mids, then I'd use it more.

5. theruns

theruns Senior Member

would anybody happen to know how to get rid of the horrible trebley-ness of this pedal? like what things do i need to change? i did the teledog mod on it and i love the sound! it just still has that shrillness though.

6. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

where do you have the tone control set usually? I find myself setting it lower now after the mod than I used to before

7. PurpleFlanger

PurpleFlanger Member

Damn, never thought of that!

8. ddevil

ddevil Senior Member

Im sorry...can you explain this a little more? The sound you are getting is pretty sweet in the video...do you have a diagram or visual? Thanks!

Cheers,
    DD

9. theruns

theruns Senior Member

generally it is between 9 and 11. anywhere after that it gets pretty shrill (to my ears anyway). i have noticed a nice bass boost from the pedal when you crank the gain. just sayin.

10. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

Hmm, I run mine around 7-9. Then i roll up the tone on my guitar or amp. Not really all that shrill anymore for me.

11. theruns

theruns Senior Member

yeah i can tame it, but i would like the tone control to be a little bit less dramatic. do you kinda understand what i mean? im kind of a wierdo when it comes to certain things:)

12. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

If i'm understanding you right, I think thats just the way it is. I dont mind it too much because I generally use it as a lead boost and for that it works wel i think. If I'm using the pedal alot, like for rhythm it can be too bright

13. MrNed

MrNed Junior Member

Hey Guys... I stumbled across this forum and thread, and I found all this to be very interesting. I bought my DS-1 when I was a kid. Somewhere about 25 years ago. Back then I liked the buzzy, thin sound, but for the last 20 years, the pedal has been sitting gathering dust because as i got to understand what *good* tone was, this pedal simply didn't cut it anymore. The tone I have forever been chasing since is the legendary "brown sound" of EVH.

Anyhow, since I thought I had nothing to lose, I thought I'd give this mod a go.

I opened it up, clipped the 2 diodes, closed it back up and put it my signal chain and the first words out of my mouth were: "WTF!!" (non abbreviated version).

As many others have confirmed, this changes the whole characteristic of the pedal. It is something I can now use again.

For those who doubt or worry about this mod, just try it. It's reversible if you don't like it, and as others have suggested, put a DPDT switch in.

I tried the pedals on 2 setups:

1) Les Paul -> DS-1 -> Marshall 50W Plexi head -> Celestion G12M
    2) Les Paul -> DS-1 -> Marshal JMP-1 -> Intellifex -> Mesa Boogie 50/50 -> Celestion G12M

In both these setups, the pedal sounds totally sweet!
    The tone a lot have already described on this forum is the result. Adjusting the knobs also seems to get you a very wide ranging variance of sound.

If I get some time, I'll record and post some clips.

If your DS-1 is sitting around anyway, just do this mod. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks guys! Cheers!

14. quentin

quentin Member

+1 for the clip mod ^ right you are

15. jokun

jokun Senior Member

The DS-1 was my first pedal and I absolutely hated it!
    In a good tube amp you could get a OK sound of it, but I had a massive drop in volume when I kicked it in due to my high output pickups(Yes, I had the level maxed).

I did the "Teledog-mod" today and WOW, it is finally usable!
    I really just klicked into this thread to rant over how bad this pedal was, but instead I learned how to make it into a really nice pedal!

Thanks a lot!!! :D

16. pickerrr

pickerrr Senior Member

DS-1 is too "sandy" to me, and too compressed.

17. theruns

theruns Senior Member

have you tried the mod? its super simple, reversible, and free!

18. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

holy necro etc etc

but...

i just ressurected this one because i picked up an as new mint ds-1 the other day for 10 euros an having tried it, decided that the diode trick needed doing.

i have put in a three way toggle switch connected to the two diodes so i now have the option of stock/one diode off/two diodes off.

like it!

as you were...

19. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Just did the D4/D5 mod... Makes it into a very lower gain kind of pedal - more booster than anything. Not so good through a clean tube Fender amp like I use. I don't use amp dirt so maybe it's better for boosting a dirty amp. It is a good mod though - I DO like it better than stock. Also love the C6 removal for an SD-1 Super Overdrive. Nothing for the BD-2 that's similar AFAIK.

Generally speaking the DS-1 was my first pedal. I've always played with gain and am more into classic rock and blues based though rather than shred/metal/hard stuff.

But the DS-1 turned me off because I associated it with Nirvana and neoclassical shred players, both of which I don't like at all. But maybe now I could use it as a booster with another dirt in front of it.

20. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Senior Member

Well folks, as with others, I stumbled upon this thread and found the diode mod of real interest. Had a DS-1 long ago and was never a real fan. Traded or sold it ages ago. Got a new one in a trade last month, as it was part of the deal. I thought to myself, ok...now what ya gonna do with it? It sat as others here said, collecting dust....Then.....

Poped it open. Clipped D4 and D5 and put it back together. Plugged it into my board next to the new Joyo Ultimate Overdrive (a great pedal by the way) and did an A/B with the two. Impressed! Tamed it down to use, and the tone and drive is quite good in fact. Now with the Joyo UOD and the DS-1 next to each other, my distortion/OD is 100% complete. The DS-1 doing a great job with a mild OD and the Joyo taking up the stronger drive duties with ease.

Glad to have this pedal back in it's new and improved form. Really makes a difference with these two diodes out of the circuit. Took all of five minutes to get a pedal I hated turned into one that is welcomed to the board!

Thanks!!

Wade

1 person likes this.