Boss DS-1... like it/hate it/DIY mods/ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by quentin, Apr 11, 2010.

1. quentin

quentin Member

Ok, I just traded in my Digitech DF-7 (the "distortion factory") for an original Boss DS-1. This may sound foolish as the Digitech (new) is worth two times as much, but I grew to hate it. Every setting was harsh and, well, the sound just wasn't that good. From what I've read about the DS-1 people seem to have mixed feelings about it, some wishing every shipment of them will sink to the bottom of the ocean and others who praise them to the point of obsession.

If there's one thing I've learned from this experience, it's that there is no "DO-IT-ALL" pedal, and yes, I am an amateur.

Thanks

2. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

For me the DS-1 was always the "Standard" of the Distortion pedals. Since I have a Marshall DSL401 in my basement I only used it to replace the Overdrive of my MG practice amp, and that sounded pretty good. Of course, nothing compared to tube distortion, but that's not what it's supposed to do.

I've since then replaced the DS-1 with the OS-2 to have some more versatility in the sounds I can produce, and that pedal sounds even better...
    Love it how it really gives my DSL401 a kick in it's butt at higher volumes.

As for the trade, I'd say it was a good one. Less is sometimes better.

3. quentin

quentin Member

Thanks a lot, yeah I mainly use it for distortion when it's not really practical to crank my tube amp (Fender Pro Jr. has balls:thumb:) or when I need more than just the tube overdrive. For now I have no problems with it, but I heard the Keeley mod is a good thing

4. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I never liked my stock DS-1 I had, but the Keeley modded one I owned was incredible. Very harmonically rich and had no "can of bees" sound any more.

TKOjams likes this.
  5. onedaycloser

onedaycloser Senior Member

I couldn't get along with the DS-1 I had, ended up trading it. Figured I was better off to trade it for something else that works, than to mod it myself and kill it, lol.

6. california1967

california1967 Senior Member

I hated it, didn't want to take the time to mod and sold it for what I bought it for. I hope you enjoy yours though!

7. chipper

chipper Senior Member

I go through stages with the DS-1 as my taste changes. First I hated it, then I liked it, now I'm not too sure.

I used it a couple of times at rehearsal to see if it would work out and it wasn't bad. The only criticism I had of it (for my taste) was the lack of bottom end made it sound a bit thin.

8. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

this is a mod that Teledog had posted elsewhere, I did it to my ds1 and I love it, very smooth, natural sounding gain. Less over all gain than before, but more useable

"Open the pedal, more or less in the center of the board there are two little things made out of some sort of glass... They're marked D4 and D5. Clip one leg of each (to break the connection to the board on one side of each)...

Close the pedal, give it a try. Whole new thing. WAY more open, more output, a little less distortion but more natural overdrive Marshall JMP style!"

9. quentin

quentin Member

Excuse my possible (and probable) stupidity, but this won't break it will it? I have no idea what goes on inside those things...

10. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

I've had a 12 year on again, off again relationship with the DS-1. It was, like many others, my first pedal. I think it sounds best through an already lightly overdriven tube amp. JMHO.

11. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

no it doesnt break the pedal, if you disconnect them neatly enough, they can be soldered back, no problem. i didnt/dont know about pedals either, I trusted Teledog when he said it would be easy to do and fine for the pedal, and so far I have no complaints :thumb:

12. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

That was my experience as well, although I still didn't keep the Keeley. I guess I'm just not a "distortion" pedal guy. I still much prefer the Analogman Boss SD-1, but that's a different animal...

13. Trea

Trea Senior Member

Someone just gave me one and so far I haven't learned to love it yet. They also gave me a mega distortion and that one sounds pretty good driving my old vtm when it's just on the edge of breakup.

I'm currently using the DS-1 in front of an Epi Valve Jr. into a 212 Bassman cab as my bedroom practice rig and it works ok for quite practice. Maybe I should look into having it modded as it was free.

14. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

I had a DS-1 but returned it a week after I bought it. As I got into playing death metal, the DS-1 wasn't heavy or tight enough. To me, it sounds more like an overdrive pedal compared to my MXR Fullbore Metal pedal.

15. kungpow!

kungpow! Senior Member

stock, I just wanna wrap dynamite around it, but lotsa people swear by the mods (keeley, AM, etc), but I have no exp with them.

16. J076

J076 Senior Member

Hate it!

Too much treble, too much gain.

17. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I owned one for years back in the 80's when I was playing in hair bands so it wasn't the worst thing in the world to use but anything besides grainy heavy metal was out of the question. While the DS-1 is very inexpensive, there are so many other dirt pedals out available today that sound so much better that I can't understand why anyone would buy a DS-1 outside of maybe using it as a lead boost. By the time you get done spending $130 for a Keeley modded DS-1, you might as well have paid a little extra for an OCD or something else. If the sound of a DS-1 (modded or not) is what you like, by all means, go for it but I'll never understand it myself.

18. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Any sound samples? DS-1s are pretty cheap, and I might be inclined to try this out if the sound is right, even at risk of wrecking it.

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Are you running that on top of an overdrive amp, or do you have the amp set clean with the pedal?

20. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

its a dirty dark distortion, but its good for what it is, the tube mod i put in helped with gain and tone range. truth is, i hardly use it anymore, though i do use it when its called for.