BOSS DS-1 Distortion Pedal - Sounds Crazy GOOD, is it just me!??

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by yamariv, Jul 10, 2017.

1. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

I've had a Waza SD-1, which was cool and definitely an improvement on the stock one, and I've also heard great things about the Waza BD-2, plus they've also recently released a Waza Amp, which is supposed to be a cool piece of gear too, so for the life of me I don't understand why the heck instead of the totally pointless "40th Anniversary Special Edition" which apart from the different colors internally is EXACTLY THE SAME(!) as the stock one, the folks at Boss haven't released a Waza DS-1 yet...?
    I mean, the world is just waiting for that to come out, and when/if it does come out they'll make a proverbial killing...!

yamariv and Kris Ford like this.
  3. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Lol! Yup the anniversary one is just the paint and nothing more and I payed $5 extra for the smokey and the bandit colors....haha

So what does the Keeley mod do to the stock pedal in laymans terms? I'm also not familiar with Waza either.. sorry :S

4. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

the Keely mod tightens up the bass a bit and gives it more balls IMHO. The mod involves several capacitors and diodes. The diode swap smooths out the grit just a bit. Monte Allums used to sell a mod kit too. I have one with his mods as well as another with the Keely mod. I like the improvements personally.

yamariv likes this.
  5. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Decided to screw around with my DS-1 this morning. Ended up with these settings:
    Tone - 11 o'clock
    Distortion - Maxed
    Level - 10 o'clock
    Putting it like that into a clean amp gives me that super chunky, messy, distorted sound I love. Just roll off the volume to take away some of the fizz while still having some distortion for crunchy parts. Just stomp on the box to turn it off and go to crystal cleans.

yamariv likes this.
  6. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

A lil' update.
    I had a session only a couple of days ago, plugged straight into a raunchy Marshall, and even though with a Les Paul it was less noticeable, compared back-to-back the Keeley DS-1 made the Stratocaster sound slightly better (then again, however slightly, "better" is the word that counts!) than a very refined valve pre-amp/OD/booster: tighter, more percussive, dynamic, singing/screaming sustain for days, and pound for pound (or shall we say "degrees of distortion for degrees of distortion"!) with less floor noise.
    Bearing in mind also that the tone needed was very much in that Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Joe Perry, Ted Nugent, Ronnie Montrose, early Van Halen, 70s Rock mould: those cats are/were all different players for sure, nevertheless all in the same "raunch with huge balls + more huge balls" ballpark sound wise
    Whatever works, go for it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Kris Ford and yamariv like this.
  7. Tortuga

Tortuga Junior Member

I used to have one a long time ago, and recently picked up the Boss 40th Ann DS-1 (same price as a regular one, so why not?). It rocks, I f^n love it. I used to have a bunch of cork sniffing boo^teek overdrive and distortion pedals, and sold most them off in favor of the DS-1 and OD-3 I picked up soon after (I kept and still like my Timmy & Xotic SL Drive, though).

rabidhamster and yamariv like this.