Boost Pedal For Effects Loop

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Jack S., Aug 23, 2017.

1. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

Can anyone recommend a clean boost pedal for the effects loop of a Boogie Mark IIC+ to make my guitar louder for solos? So far I've tried a Keeley 2 knob compressor, Boss SD1 overdrive, JHS Angry Charlie pedal, and Klon KTR pedal all set for a 100% clean boost. They all removed bass and/or high end a good amount and made the amp sound really midrangey. Obviously they aren't designed for this purpose. Are there any full-frequencied clean boosts for this? I'm considering the MESA graphic EQ pedal but it's expensive and pretty broke from buying the amp.....might have to wait on that for now at least. Let me know if you guys have recommendations. Thanks in advance,

-Jack

2. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

The two that I use are the Ethos Clean Boost and the Buffalo FX Power Booster.

Unfortunately they are both kind of expensive. But for me it was money well spent.

3. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I have had very good luck with the TC spark mini boost. Seriously, it's a nice clean boost and inexpensive

Rhust, Tommy0303xxx and geddy like this.
  4. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

Ok I'll check those out:)

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

I am using the ElectroHarmonix LPB ( Linear Power Boost).
    Check it out. Comes from a lineage way back in the day.
    Prolly won't cost you 40 bucks depending on where you are.

6. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

^^^ what he said. Hands down the best bang for buck "linear" boost.

Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

+2. Turn it up, you get some sweet overdrive.

8. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

The LPB certainly fulfills the cheap requirement:) I'll see if I can get my hands on one. Anyone tried the MXR Micro Amp? From its description it might work too. I'm looking for the flattest boost I can. I love the sound of this amp, I just want it LOUDER for solos:)

Rhust likes this.
  9. chipper

chipper Senior Member

I just use a volume pedal in the loop. Use it to mix myself with the band and step on it for solos

freak likes this.
  10. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

I have an LPB-1, but i'm seriously jonesin for an EHX Soul Food. Every video i've seen of it sounded awesome, and it appears to be much more versatile (clean to dirty) than the LPB-1. Then again, the LPB-1 is half the price new or used. The LPB-1 is still a nice little booster, just not as varied in sound. I think it's one of those standards that just does what it does very well for a great price, like a Boss DS-1.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

The most 'flat' boost you will get is going to be an EQ pedal. You can set all the EQs flat and just boost the overall level. It will also serve the purpose of allowing you to fine tune the amp sound too, which can be useful in certain situations.

The MXR Boost is nice, although it isn't totally flat - it actually adds a subtle sweetness. Same for most boost pedals really. They all have their own subtle flavours, mostly good. Josh from RHCP uses and EP boost in the loop.

Remember also that it wont overdrive much in the loop, it needs to be BEFORE the preamp for that. It might push the power amp a bit more, depending on how loud you have it set, but if you are pushing the amp that much, you are probably hitting the volume limit anyway!

Personally, i think the Boss EQ would suit you fine, its not expensive and incredibly useful to have.

jaycoyoyo and Mockbel like this.
  12. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Also, with an EQ, you could just boost certain frequencies for solos (hint - MIDS). So you don't need to get too loud, just the bits that will cut through and get you noticed in a band mix

13. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I've read (years ago!) that certain pros used an MXR Micro amp.
    FWIW my Fender Twin Amp has loop send and return vol (?) controls which can be set to a level to boost when loop foot switch is engaged. I take it the Boogie doesn't have that capability.

14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

you want the micro amp then... the LBP1 is great, I loved it, but it's got a 'hump' in there... if you want a 'make go louder' button, the micro amp is tough to beat, and cheap... but still built like a tank... its a great pedal... and can be used as an 'always-on' tone sweetener or as a volume jump button... very transparent... if it adds anything, it's a little bit of clarity and maybe a smidge of highs....

15. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I love the Exotic EP booster pedal. Sounds great, but I'd put it in front of the amp...

Rhust likes this.
  16. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I believe an EQ is the right answer... even if you will use another boost pedal, you will still need an EQ after it to eliminate undesired ups and downs in the tone coming from the boost

Rhust likes this.
  17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

the right EQ in the loop, like the 10 band MXR, and you have the boost covered too... can take some tweaking, but works great...

when I had the DSL40C I used the EQ to shape the tone of the clean channel... since they shared the common EQ between the green and red channels, if you set the amp up clean, it would be too bassy on the hot channel, and if you set it up on the hot, it was brittle when clean... I liked the EQ on the clean channel to sculpt that into a warm blackface sort of clean

Mockbel likes this.
  18. BanditPanda

The Soul Food is an O/D pedal. The LPB is a clean boost.
    Apples & oranges.

19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Gain on 0, the soul food is as clean as the lpb-1

20. BanditPanda

Still apples & oranges. :h5: