Bonamassa's New Fender Tweed Twin

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by tonybony, Sep 10, 2017.

1. tonybony

tonybony Senior Member

Splattle101 and RAG7890 like this.
  2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:wow: :wow: :wow: :thumbs: :applause: :applause:

Thanks for the link. :)

:cheers2:

3. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

It's fixed bias tweed. It's a Les Paul. It's a cat who can play.

:cool2::dude::jb:

4. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Sounds a good bit like my '58... But, I'll be honest, I'm not sure that cord is long enough to get out of the cone of destruction! LOL

5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I know it sounds like corksniffery but to my ears, even with poor audio capture I can hear that these amps sound like new fender amps and nothing like the old tweeds, I can't put it into words other than the distortion isn't pleasing at all. It's an artifact, some "warbled barf sounding distortion" that they all share, the '68 and '65 Princeton has it, the other tweed reissues by fender have it, frustrating to know that these amps will never replace the real thing, I sure wish they could.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Splattle101 likes this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks for that Werner. Always appreciate your insight.

When I listened to it on my iPhone I thought it sounded pretty good notwithstanding the poor audio & compression.

Obviously mid focussed but as far as I am aware that is a Tweed for you.

I will Email 3 x YT Links I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on so can compare ears, so to speak.

Lastly, unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to hear a Vintage Tweed first hand, but would like to.

I do agree that all those new Fenders sound to, my ears & IMHO, pretty awful.

On the other hand this one is a Vintage Tweed Twin is think??

Cheers, Rudi.

7. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

Judging an amps sound via clips is like asking Stevie wonder to be your lookout.

8. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Fair enough but saying that it sounds awesome based on clips is okay, aye?
    I'm not immune to confirmation bias so I could be wrong, no problem.
    Anyway, I usually don't post based on soundclips but I immediately heard something that I (only my opinion) identify with RI Fenders. Now if it turns out that these are vintage Tweed Twins like Rudi believes then I accept the egg on my face and shut up, but..:beer:

9. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

No, saying its awesome based on clips is the same, inaccurate, and nothing at all like what the amp will sound like in person. In some cases the amp can sound better, but not always.

I have passed judgement on sound clips because the guy playing is not that good, that's not fair to the amp, but its the risk you run when you post clips as a deciding factor in what the amp sounds like.

The variables go beyond anything that the best computer setup will demonstrate.

The room, the guitar, the player, we all know this I am preaching to the choir on this one.

I have owned a couple of these tweed twins, and the same amp can sound entirely different if I played it in a different room. You still know its a tweed twin, but the differences are very noticeable. More to yeti's point, new amps do not sound like old amps, even the same new amp sounds a little different. I have been down this road with a ton of Marshall's, new ones never sounded as good as the older ones, nor did any of the clones make me want to sell my originals.

Clips can be a reference point of sorts, but I never understood the attraction, or necessity in posting them. If it solves anything, its the curiousity, of wanting to hear a piece of gear before you can play it in person, or own it. Not a bad thing, but nothing like hearing it for real.

On an unrelated note, I heard that JB was going to buy "all" the fender high powered tweed twins from Fender, not sure that is true, but the source seems pretty reliable, lets wait and see on that one.

My take on the tweed twin, is that amp is a ferocious monster, more Marshall like than any other Fender amp I have come across. Its a great alternative to hauling around a 4-12 cab, tons of power, great cleans, and overdriven sounds, pedals are sounding very good as well.

Splattle101 likes this.
  10. yeti

yeti Senior Member

^^^
    Great post, I agree
    IME some of the most accurate soundclips of what an amp sounds like on youtube are indeed done with "accidental miking techniques", cellphones, cheap cameras, etc. Once you learn to listen past clipped micpres and Data compression artifacts a pretty damn representative image can emerge. The worst soundclips in terms of accuracy are usually done with a 57 shoved in front of the speaker and plugged into a subpar preamp and nothing else, resulting in a lifeless small sound at the mercy of whomever haphazardly placed the mic and even a 1/4 " movement totally changes everything. As far as old vs new, most boutique amps sound new but many have pleasing distortion nonetheless. But nothing sounds like old Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc. Again, I really wish they could crack the code but sofar no cigar.

GearHo and RAG7890 like this.
  11. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

One either likes the tweed tone or one doesn't. Someone told me along time ago, a tweed sounds like a broken Marshall. For the record I like tweeds and Marshalls. Boogies too for that matter.

12. yeti

yeti Senior Member

^^^
    Agreed, someone even says so on the Instagram, preferring Joes' old rig, etc. I love old tweeds, best amps ever. My '59 5F6A is my reference point here.

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Werner, they might even be Victoria's. Joe told me awhile back that these were worth looking if I didn't want to shell out a load of money on the real McKoy.

But in reality I just don't know what they are or for that matter what the Speakers are & while I know a fair amount about several Amps I am not an expert on Tweeds.

I do like this one though............made by Mike Moody at Magic Amps. But I have no idea how close it is to the real deal.

It is probably worth mentioning that a close friend of mine (who knows what he is doing - our leading Luthier here & a great Guitar player) ended up adding a Friedman JJ Head to his Showroom. I listened to numerous YT Clips of this Head. I told him man all the YT's sound like $hit.............even the one JJ made for Dave Friedman.

He said the Amp sounds NOTHING like any of the YT Clips in the flesh.

My point here is that these mp3 files we hear are often not remotely close to the real thing (stating the obvious I know).

Cheers, Rudi

GearHo likes this.
  14. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Wow, you guys are harshing on the Fender... LOL

I'll just say that I doubt this will be a big seller for Fender... Too expensive, too heavy and too loud for most jokers. But, I am looking forward to trying one, just the same.

15. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I've never had the pleasure of a vintage tweed Fender, but I've played and owned vintage blackface Fender and Marshall amps. (Vintage tweed Fenders just don't show up for sale very often in Oz, and when they do the prices are extortionate.)

In relation to the vintage amps I've played, I don't hear the magic. They're either good amps or bad (some of them have drifted in ways I don't like), but I haven't heard anything that can't be done with a really good clone.

I'd love to hear a 'real' tweed and try to hear what it is that you're talking about. I recently built a 5F4 Super clone, and made it as close to the original as I reasonably could with new parts, and I'd love to compare it to a vintage 5F4 for reference. I know that I prefer my home made Super to the Fender RI Bassman I used to have, and I attribute a large part of that to the transformers, which are putting the right voltages on everything (instead of being 20-30 V too high).

But I would love to do the experiment.

RAG7890 and yeti like this.
  16. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I really am only responding to what I hear in that clip, I'm neither an expert on tweed tone, having played (for more than a few minutes in a noisy exhibit hall) only 4 Tweed Bassmans, a narrow panel Super, a V-front Super and a Bandmaster as well a couple of deluxes and champs, nor am I really that anal about authenticity, I just like good sounding amps. I'm sure great music can be made with new Fenders, tweeds included. I do think the fender Blues Deluxe and Blues jr are a good value and can sound really good, the Bassman RI is a classic by now and a great value as well. But these new custom amps won't be cheap so a little criticism must be allowed IMO.
    I've been interested in tweeds since the "shootout at the 4-ten coral" article (David Grissom, Derek O'Brian, Danny Thorpe and a friend of mine who supplied the original amp) came out in GP in 1990, comparing a real Bassman to a RI, a Kendrick and a THD. Back then the RI was rated the closest to the real deal and more useable on stage with the Kendrick and THD being seen as replicas in looks only. Having played the RI and comparing it to the original amp used in that shootout I found the RI a great platform for pedals but utterly lacking in the distortion department. Then Victorias came along, I bought a Bassman clone for a friend (he still has it), that amp didn't sound like a tweed either, a decent amp, unfortunately riddled with mechanical problems, as were all the Victorias I've seen over the years, otherwise I would have bought a double deluxe, by far the coolest new tweed amp I've ever seen.
    Anyway I lost interest in reissues/ clones at that point, playing an occasional example at a variety of shops or at friends' houses, including the Fender RI Twin, EC models and deluxe, as well as one Lazy-J, no sparks at all.
    In the meantime I was lucky enough to buy a real one for reasonable money back in 1994, it cost me about 30% more than a brand-new RI and it's been my main gigging amp ever since. I use JJ tubes, so it's not the glass that makes much difference, IMO.
    I believe it's the old transformers, speaker magnets and cabinets that set the old ones apart.
    Having said that I have heard new boutique amps that aren't tweeds that can rival the best of the old ones easily without being copies. If mine was lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy another vintage one but I also wouldn't buy a clone/ RI, instead I'd get a cool new amp that sounds great in his own right.

GearHo, Splattle101 and RAG7890 like this.
  17. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

If amps don't sound good in clips but do live then they're great for gigging but good luck making a record!