Bluesbuckers vs PAF's

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by FumbleFingers63, Jun 9, 2009.

1. FumbleFingers63

FumbleFingers63 Junior Member

Looking to get a more bluesy sound with my neck pickup. Does anyone have any experience with either DiMarzio Bluesbucker or PAF pick ups? I normally play 70's/80's rock and have a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position. But lately I have been messing around with some SRV and Ten Years After material. I know I can't get a true Strat sound out of my Epi LP, but just in search of a more bluesy tone from the neck position. I'm not playing in a band so the sound is pretty much for myself. I was going to get a Marshall mini stack for my 70's satisfaction. How much will that effect the chance of getting the new bluesy tone that's in my head?
    Getting a Strat is pretty much out. Had one and couldn't play it worth a darn. It just didn't feel right. One reason I have a LP. :)
    Thanks

2. Sony Oengui

Sony Oengui Senior Member

I installed a push pull pot to "split the coils" on both humbuckers on both my electric guitars.

I really liked the sound coming out of them. Great "bluesy" tone.

You may want to give that a try. Less expensive than a new pickup.

3. FumbleFingers63

FumbleFingers63 Junior Member

I have heard of doing that. I may try that first before ordering a new PU. Thanks for the suggestion. Had someone else suggest to disconnect the tone wire from my current neck PU.

4. arcpro

arcpro Junior Member

you might consider a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell or the PAF 36th Anniversary. also, the DiMarzio website has a cool tool, the pickup picker, you could try that & see what options you get.