Bluesbreaker 1962 Reissue

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by bum, Jun 17, 2017.

1. bum

bum Senior Member

Just got this, awesome!
    Thought I would post up a few initial pics and post more as I go, first rehearsal with it will be this week, first gig on Friday so I am super excited!

2016 model, barely used.

Bone stock, if anyone has any top tips lets chat about them. So far I've tried cleans and really like what I hear, beautiful lush overtones and a very pure sound. Not even missed reverb!

So, what pedals have folks had success with, valve changes etc, whatever info you have would be great. There are a few threads here and there but most are pretty old.

Pics...

Attached Files:

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I had one of those around 1997-98?
    They get awfully loud to really get with the program. But once you're there you should have fun.
    Watch your ears..

bulletproof and bum like this.
  3. bum

bum Senior Member

I am sort of prepared for that, I am coming from a Twin and have a couple of pedals to push the pre amp a bit. Attenuator is the last resort on the list

bulletproof and Frogfur like this.
  4. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Awesome!
    Currently having GAS real bad for a BB!
    I put a 30 watt Weber silver bell ceramic in my Peavey C30 to get me by.
    Can't hold out much longer though!!

5. bum

bum Senior Member

Well, I've only played it quiet so far, no pedals or reverb just a 335 straight in.
    If you have GAS now you might want to avoid reading my upcoming posts because I have a strong feeling I may be gushing about this amp later this week :D

bulletproof likes this.
  6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

They have the nicest dry tone I think

7. bum

bum Senior Member

It really does, so far I have been really impressed with the amp not seeming to matter what settings it's on, it just sounds lush

bulletproof likes this.
  8. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

It's ok, I can take it!

That amp has been on my radar for a while, that or a JTM45 head. However I still have to sell few amps before I leap.

I know the BB's are loud so getting them close to the zone at home will be a challenge for me. That and the fact I already have a tweed Bassman HW clone sitting here has probably stalled me from hitting the button. Just a really cool amp to have regardless.

bum and bulletproof like this.
  9. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

A good amp, is an amp that don't need no reverb.

I used to go to a local shop and play a BB every Friday after work. Love these things, congrats.

bum and bulletproof like this.
  10. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

^ Jealous!

11. bum

bum Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    Tonight I will be cranking it for the first time, I am pretty excited! I am running a TC Spark and a Fulldrive 3, any other top tips for pedals to push this bad bay?

bulletproof likes this.
  12. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

I bought one of the original 1962 reissues almost new , it was maybe 1 month old , the fellow that ordered it giged it , I knew him well, he was super rich sold it to me for like 700 less than he paid....claimed it was not loud enough. Oh well....his loss.This was 1994-5 ish , I played it for 20 plus years , three sets of tubes , no breakdowns . I finally sold it couple years ago to find a 1962 HW version. I sold it for 100.00 less than I paid. But yes I stole it. I fiddled around and almost got left out locating the HW version.

bum likes this.
  13. stryker59

stryker59 Senior Member

They are great amps! I have a 98 reissue BB and a JTM45 clone and I run a tungsol 12ax7 in v1 and then JJ ecc83s tubes in v2 and 3. JJ kt66s for power. That's what works for me, ymmv.

14. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

Over the years I have had three BB reissues, currently have a 1989 (first year) model. Do not confuse this bb with a jtm 45 reissue, I feel they are entirely different animals.

My pedal of choice after owning many of the popular models is a Bogner LaGrange. This pedal is Marshall in a box, also has the best clean boost I have ever heard. So much so, that I actually use it, and often.

I have had these amps modded, don't waste your time. Lowering filter cap values closer to original specs, better trannies, wiring mods to make them "better" None of these expensive adventures made the amp sound that much better than the plain old stock amps, they are pretty good on their own.

Now, if your a tweaker, and want to do that, fine. I know that I wouldn't even think of modding my current amp from stock, it sounds great the way it is.

With a clean setting and some reverb and or delay, it rivals great fender cleans, only better. Marshall cleans is not a term you hear thrown around that often, but in my view my best clean amp sound comes from a 69 super lead, not a Fender.

These amps are great out of the box, the best speaker choice for me was greenbacks. 5881 tubes new or NOS, and your favorite flavor pre amp choice. Have fun with it they are some of the coolest production Marshalls ever.

bum, LPPILOT, stryker59 and 1 other person like this.
  15. bum

bum Senior Member

Mine is a 2016 model, only been used for a couple of hours. Smells new still!
    I've gigged it now and it's by far and away the best amp I have ever used. So so simple (you can not make it sound bad) and so effective. The cleans are lusher than my Twin, not as crisp but fuller and warmer.
    The amp breaks up well, I've tried it full volume and it is stunning, too loud for my band but honestly it's 'that' sound, pure valve driven overdrive - wonderful!
    It has the greenbacks and I have no feelings towards any mods, it's great as it is. I really, really love this amp

16. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

A great buy.
    I have an '89 JTM45 which is much the same amp. Played through an old Marshall 4x12 with 20W Celestions or 2x12 with ri Greenbacks or a 2x12 with Eminence Red Fang alnicos it sounds fab. As a straight ahead blues/rock amp wound up or backed off as a pedal friendly base its a superb amp. It's obvious why this design type remains so popular to this day.

Daz

17. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

I had an 89 jtm 45 head, serial number x0401, very cool sounding, still miss that one. You can identify them easily as the radius on the front of the cab opening is rounded instead of squared off like other years.

This amp I mentioned is one of the heads I had modded, mercury output tranny, rewired to vintage specs, filter caps changed to lower values. Didn't make much difference at all in the long run. In fact I still have the output tranny from 89 sitting around somewhere.

These are great amps out of the box, so much so, that I ended up having three combos and two jtm 45 heads over the years. Very cool.

bulletproof, bum and alnico59 like this.
  18. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

Great amps indeed. My longtime preference by far is the Valve Arts KT66.

Daz

19. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

[​IMG]

Congrats and HNMAD! :applause: :rock: :dude: :headbanger:

GeeJay, bulletproof and bum like this.
  20. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Awesome amp - a fine choice, Sir!

I had a 2007 model (5881 tubes) which I absolutely adored but it just got too heavy to lug around to gigs. One day - when funds allow - I shall get another one to use at home. Yeh, 30W 2x12 non-master "home" amp ... I know ...