Blue chip picks

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Nilitara, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Nilitara

Nilitara Senior Member

Hi all

Hearing really good reviews of these...unfortunately not available here in the UK, just wondering is anyone using them? I understand they are quite pricey!! Do they warrant the price tag?

Nige

2. gbroadhurst

gbroadhurst Premium Member

Yes a TD 40. Does not bend, in fact it would more than likely snap before bending. Had one for about 3yrs now. Bought it when I picked up a Martin D42 Peter Frampton. Now use it playing a Lester.
    Overall wearing well, never feels like it is slipping out of my fingers, seems to make strings ring brighter.
    I do also believe they go kinda weird if you get them wet, according to Guthrie Govan

1 person likes this.
  3. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Never tried 'em but a pick is a cheap way to get a noticeable difference in tone.

That said, these aren't cheap for picks, lol.

4. Nilitara

Nilitara Senior Member

Thanks for your reply, it was the TD 40 I was looking at. They are 1.00mm aren't they? Currently using a 1.00mm JD

5. gbroadhurst

gbroadhurst Premium Member

Yes they are 1mm. I really do like it and would buy again.

6. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Blue Chip picker here. I have two TAD 50s and three TAD 40s. Started using BC on my Martins ~2 years ago. Very little pick/string noise. They glide off of the strings with little perceived friction. Maybe I'm just telling myself that for the $40 a pop. The tone is outstanding.

The TAD 50 is perfect on the .013" - .056" strings on the HD-28 and the TAD 40s for my D12-28 and LP (both .010s). The 3 pointed TADs will probably last forever. I've conditioned myself not to loose them - so far, so good.

Pricey, but they do not wear out. You literally need a microscope to see any signs of significant wear. Made of Area 51 stuff or something.

7. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter

.....and I thought V-Picks were pricey......wow

8. NorlinBlackBeauty

They are seriously worth the $, assuming you can keep from losing them.

9. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

I have been using for many years with my acoustics, playing bluegrass they are all the rage along with Elliot capos in the bluegrass circles excellent tone, feel, and snap off of the strings, cost versus value is always hard to quantify, but I have always enjoyed mine, I have 3 a 40, 50, 60, but then I have a fair amount off money in real shell picks, since playing electric again all the usual bulk suspects, current fav Herco 75

10. tonemonster58

tonemonster58 Senior Member

Don't really think they are that good. They are marginally better than most offerings but do not remotely compare to tortoise. Real Hawksbill are available for the same price on ebay out of Japan. They are repurposed from antiques combs etc. Seller ID annkolove2014 got multiples from them. A+++++

11. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

I got one a few years back.
    [​IMG]
    I like it a lot....but not as much as the Wegen Bluegrass 1.2 picks.
    The Blue Chips are awesome for me as far as flatpicking goes. but I don't like them as well for strumming.
    I've got some V-Picks, Gravity picks, Tusq, John Pearse, and a bunch of others as well.
    I'm always trying new ones out to see what they have to offer.

12. NorlinBlackBeauty

I'd not trust the Japanese to solely use repurposed. They have a history of misusing resources from the sea. Old or new, I could never use (or even try) Hawksbill. Just wrong ihmo.

13. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I use the TD40s, too. The feel and performance are just right for me. Whether they're worth it or not really depends, I think, on whether you lose picks or not. I've had mine for 4 years, so the cost over that period of time is trivial. If I had to keep replacing them, I'd probably shift to Ultex, which is broadly similar, excellent, and inexpensive. PS: It's easy to custom-shape Blue Chips if you know what you're doing.