Blue Boosters! OC44 Rangemaster Clones. Mullard Gold Saucers!

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by Alligatorbling, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

*10-21-2017 EDIT* I have two Blue Boosters in stock, PM me to purchase.*

I plan to start production of a new batch of OC44 Rangemaster clones soon. This pedal is a recreation of the original circuit and utilizes a genuine Mullard Gold Saucer OC44 germanium transistor.

The price for one of these is $89.99 plus $4.99 shipping and handling. This is considerably less than what most genuine OC44 rangemaster clones go for. Most of these boxes cost $200 and up some as high as $300... Its my mission to bring boutique boxes to the masses that all can afford!

Listed shipping and handling prices are to the lower 48 USA only, I will ship anywhere in the world but the price is $14.99

I am currently not offering swirl paint jobs. I may start these again next summer, and then again I might not. Its to be decided.

All Rangemaster clones will come in a professionally powder coated blue box (thus the name "Blue Booster")

I do not have an exact time frame when I will have these up for sale, but wanted to let MLP know that they are in the works, and if you like, you can PM me and reserve a place in line for one (i do not take payment until I have a 100% finished pedal ready to ship to you. Another reason I do not take payment until the pedal is ready is lead time... this is not my main gig and do these when I have the time.)

SO.... I am very EXCITED to be bringing the Blue Booster to the table here at MLP.

Here is a shot of the last one I sold, along with a picture of two boxes I got in the mail today that I will soon drill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pedals are built with heavy duty reliable parts. These boxes are built to withstand a lifetime of use.

Thank you for your interest, PM me with any questions you might have!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    jonesy, RAG7890, ant_riv and 3 others like this.
  2. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Put me down for one. Thanks :thumb:

Who, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My swirlie is my equal favorite pedal with my Maestro Fuzz. Vintage tones off the charts! :thumb:

The OC44 is sublime.

ant_riv, Who and Alligatorbling like this.
  4. Alligatorbling

thanks guys. I just finished up ordering some parts, so these will materialize in the future for sure.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Who likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Any Colorsound fuzzes in stock?

Who and Alligatorbling like this.
  6. Alligatorbling

No color sounds but I'll probably build a couple of those when I build the rangemasters.

Who and mdubya like this.
  7. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Put me down for a rangemaster. Sending pm

Who, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  8. Alligatorbling

getting a little bit done this evening. im also going to drill the two enclosures i have on hand tonight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    RAG7890, Who, cooljuk and 1 other person like this.
  9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

That photo makes me feel all tingly inside. :eek2:

Alligatorbling likes this.
  10. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

It makes me miss the days when I could focus on something that small.

Alligatorbling and cooljuk like this.
  11. Alligatorbling

dot studio, your pedal is ready! uncle remus I will keep you posted on the progress of yours. Im awaiting another OC44 in the mail to begin production of yours. mdubya i will also keep you posted on colorsound clones.

here ya go dot!

[​IMG]

12. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Fantastic, can't wait! :applause:

13. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

I think that is terrific that you aren't using Chips to try to replicate the sound that discrete components in a circuit make. Companies like BOSS and DOD and other try to pull this update off and sorry but it DON'T WORK! I have a first edition RAT that I'd love to see someone recreate for reissue. that later ones that started using IC's and Chips were just not the same. Just like my collection (I still use) of Tube Screamers, the later reissues are just not the same as the original one (far left) I've owned and used since new.

If you make a bunch of money with your OC44, maybe consider making a legit RAT reissue? I'm pretty sure there's no one left to sue you for the copy, call it a RATT or something.

The Rat orig vintage top.jpg The Rat open.jpg Ibenez Pedals.jpg

Alligatorbling and Who like this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

'Bling has built a secret classic with these TB clones. I am so glad I have one.

15. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

It's funny as in 1997 I finally got an original Rangemaster from my mate Rob in U.K., I decided to start making them. I'd known about them for 30 years but had never found one until then. Nobody here in the States even had a clue what it did or even what it was until mine came along. I built them on a tag strip like the originals as with this simple circuit I think it makes a sonic difference the way the components are laid out. Parts are also a huge factor. You have to use a cap like the old Phillips/Iskra caps(Sozo NexGen) as that will give it a smoother sound, however the originals used a .005 ceramic disc cap as well but the .01 was a poly/mylar type. So I think one type balances out the other type. Carbon Comp resistors are must as is the use of a Carbon battery(no expensive alkaline crap. Those didn't even exist until the `70's). The tag strip serves two purposes; a common ground for the circuit/strip and a ground for the signal. Parts are simple: 2-25uf/25v electrolytic caps, 470k, 68k and a 4.7k CC resistors, .01 & .005 cap, 10k audio taper pot, 1 switching jack and one regular jack & a 3PDT switch. I upgraded from the original type switch to the 3PDT so you can add an LED and have it out of the signal path. The originals were not True Bypass and sat on top of your amp with a cable coming out the back to plug into your amp.
    The OC44's were readily available in the Sixties. Not so much now.. I actually like the NTK275's as they sound slightly better or even use an OC75. Really any germanium transistor will work as long as it has a gain between 70hfe-80hfe. Higher than that and the gain of the pedal is a bit much, lower you won't have a good boost. Normally they should put out when maxed about 2.5-3volts a.c.. I use an input signal of 190Mv to simulate a pickups output. The other biggie is finding transistors that are not noisy. I probably have 75-80 NOS transistors that are useless because of the amount of noise they generate. I built hundreds & hundreds of them but stopped in 2009 as it was just becoming too much of a pain to build them as I was working in a traveling band (for 15 years solid) and keep up with work in my shop repairing vintage amps and upgrading reissue's to what they should be coming from Marshall, Vox & Fender. I had to give up building pedals because out of all I was doing, it was the one thing I least enjoyed(not that building them wasn't fun, just not as fun as the other stuff). It's hard to top walking out infront of between 1,500-30,000 and playing a two hour show.. or fixing a vintage Marshall or Vox AC30.
    So anyway, all you guys who are building or have built a Rangemaster, you have me to blame...
    Don Butler/Toneman, Inc.

RAG7890, Alligatorbling and mdubya like this.
  16. Alligatorbling

yes indeed the carbon battery does play a part. every one of my rangemasters come shipped with a brand new carbon 9V installed.

Who and mdubya like this.
  17. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Junior Member

Wow, Don...humble as ever.

18. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

I had no idea that Electrons knew the difference between Carbon and Alkaline .... (and neither did they). What dribble.

19. Alligatorbling

20. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

Oh everything in that non-scientific "paper" is true except the very last bullet point: "Can you hear the difference? ABSOLUTELY." And again, I say with an Electronics Engineering background, "What Dribble". Unless you mean a weakly powered Pedal won't sound the same as a full specification powered one, that would be true. But we're not talking "tone" then. Electrons know not of their origin chemical production medium .... period. Please dispute that with any physicist or chemist and be prepared to be laughed out of the room. And I want to be there too, so I can have a good laugh also.

So, then you are not talking about HOW it was produced (Carbon vs Alkaline) but that stability of the voltage and current. In which case, the ultimate power source is a AC to DC power supply, which BTW has plenty of "Carbon" in it's Copper Windings and Lead traces on the circuit boards and the best part, a continuously stable +/- 100th of a percent voltage and current supply. Any guitar musician that takes to the stage of any size without a AC/DC power supply powered "pedal board" (ie just batteries) is either a rank amateur or a fool.

Carbon batteries "sound better" than Alkaline, I'll be laughing at that for the next month. Thanks, better than a Polish joke.