Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by bilbarstow, Oct 6, 2017.

1. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

and Pocahantas....

more proof Avatar was anything BUT original storywise....

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

But for those who have seen BR 2049....just a general question, is it an actual sequel or is it a clever reboot coached in a sequel, what I like to call 'requels'?

no spoilers please, will try to see it this weekend.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Do they have to wait on those children to grow up a little before they make the sequels ? :laugh2:

Ridley was very involved in the pre-production and the script sessions, but this one was written by Hampton Fancher, who was the ORIGINAL screenwriter of Blade Runner (not the "doctor" that they brought in David Peoples). The only possible fall-down may be that there was simply nothing new from Philip K. Dick to work from. But Those guys are fiercely protective of the legacy of the original story and movie, so I have high hopes (and have heard good feedback from people that have already seen the new movie.)

4. bilbarstow

Strat,

I understand that it is a "True" sequel. A deft continuation of the story line 35 years later. That's how Ford can actually fit in - he is old in the movie as he is in real life.

There's a semi-authorized japanimation "intermediate" story here :
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/blade-runner-black-out-2022/blade-runner-black-out-2022-blade-runner-black-out-2022-748417?id=748417&utm_source==lifecycle_cr&utm_medium=broadcast&utm_campaign==blade_runner_2022

Gives some preparation for the new movie

algs911 likes this.
  5. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

Avatar 2 is a kid movie about kids?

well....that's disappointing. :laugh2:

bilbarstow likes this.
  6. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

I didn't think the new Aliens were all that bad. Not as ground breaking as the first, but there is no way it could have been.

7. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I hate squeals. Especially ones done 35 yrs later. WTF. Nothing original anymore. Hollywood has run out of original ideas.

Sorry guys. It's just how I see it.

8. Malikon

you hate squeals?

man I bet Dimebag Darrell and Zakk Wylde just piss you right the fck off!!

9. bilbarstow

Nothing wrong with feeling that way. I can usually agree, but with this one, I wanted a sequel immediately on walking out of the theater the first time. And I've been hoping that they would do a worthy / good one for 35 years. It's been on my "Most Wanted" radar since they announced that they were doing it.

electric head likes this.
  10. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Possible spoiler alerts or are they?..........

- Tesla logos on all the vehicles

- Pan Am is still operating in 2049

- Sigourney Weavers character makes a cameo

Ooooohhh the suspense!

11. bilbarstow

You know that there is a Spoiler input type for this board, right ?

Click the + in the input pane and select the spoiler option.

Malikon and northernguitarguy like this.
  12. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Thanks, Bill. I did not know that!:thumbs:

bilbarstow likes this.
  13. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

I’ll see it eventually. I loved the original. It’s one of my favorite sci-fi movies. I remember the critics trashing it when it came out. What do they know. There’s a director’s cut now and all.

14. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I could never understand what was so good about the first one.

It was just another movie with "style" that we were all supposed to love. Like The Matrix. Or 2001.

It was fine. Just another VHS movie of the time.

The Last Action Hero was better. Yeah, I said it.

Benjammin and northernguitarguy like this.
  15. northernguitarguy

[​IMG]

16. Malikon

some people just don't get it.

that movie is a lot more than "style".

It's asking big questions like, "What is Life?" "What is the definition of Life?" "What does it mean to be Alive?" "Does artificial life have rights?" "How do you define what is and isn't life and artificial life?" "What if you found out you weren't what you previously defined as life but were something else?" "What if you woke up tomorrow and found out you weren't what someone else defines as 'real', and that person has control over you"?

Byron999, electric head, KTM and 6 others like this.
  17. northernguitarguy

Even the soundtrack is a trip.

18. bilbarstow

I'm tempted to just push the like button about a thousand times on this post. Unfortunately, that won't get my point across, because it is a binary function. But yeah, THIS guy gets it.

F. F. F ck! Wife decided we needed company tonight for dinner and didn't tell me. Means I have to go see it tomorrow morning. So much for weekend chores !

19. bilbarstow

OK, I finally got to see it. O M G !

I'd LIKE to give it a totally unqualified 10/10. Really, I would. On some levels, it was an 11.

For Tone, atmosphere, and style, definite 11. The story itself was a hard 10, simply for how it fit as a REAL follow-up to the original movie. The writing - well the dialog was great and fit well, but there were a few things that should have been twists or "big reveals", but they were telegraphed (to me, at least). Fan service was a 10 for sure, as they managed to work in many call-backs to the original. And cinematography was also a VERY strong 10, it is a BEAUTIFUL movie (I'll buy a big 4K TV and player when it comes out, JUST for this movie !).

The negatives : The villain(s) were not compelling enough. But how could they ever live up to Roy Batty ? The Length (Editing) - at 2 hours and 43 minutes, it was easily too long by at least 20 minutes of cinematography that was in LOVE with itself, dwelling on the striking scenery that they presented in the image of post-apocalypse.

Other thoughts : Casting : Ryan Gosling ? In some ways, his casting was perfect, as his usual lack of affect sort of fit for the part, but in other ways he just BUGGED me. Loved Dave Bautista. Also really enjoyed seeing Lenny James - he was great in his few minutes. Having Olmos in it was also a very nice bit of fan service, although his performance didn't quite recapture his characterization from the first movie. Jared Leto was very good in his (underwritten, under-utilized) part. Robin Wright was also excellent, and sort of a bold choice.

I was not aware that they "got" Sean Young for this (although I'm not sure her performance wasn't just hollywood magic.) Ford's response / reaction to her appearance was perfect, though.

Differences between the original and the 2049 version : Much brighter, way more daylight in the future (because they were able to use hollywood trickery this time, instead of having to cover up limitations by shrouding them in darkness). I was expecting technology to have made a bigger leap in the 30 years that were supposed to have transpired, but it actually was probably pretty realistic. The Spinners were the biggest sign-post here, as they seemingly had not made 30 years improvements in their Transportation.

The setting in Las Vegas / show room with Holographic Marilyn M / Elvis / Frank Sinatra ? Really points a finger at the recent story about Zappa Family Trust planning to trot out a holographic Frank Zappa. I found this pretty funny, and yet a VERY likely eventuality for how that technology will eventually be realized. They did it well in the movie, and it added to the immersion factor for this movie. Oh, and the Sony product placements ? Suck it Sony !

Another thing that I found false was the ending. Leaving us with the question of whether there could be ANOTHER follow-up movie ? Just No. This should have been the definitive end of the saga. I hope that it isn't another cash-grab to produce a 3-quel.

So, as a mega-fan, I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED !!! I actually think my mild dissatisfactions expressed above still were far better than I had a right to expect, and for me, this movie was a Home Run. I'm going to have to go to it again, and again. Then wait for the 4K Blu-ray.

electric head, <gator> and Malikon like this.
  20. <gator>

<gator> Premium Member

I saw it last night too. I am also a mega fan of the original and I thought it was awesome - way better than even my highest expectations.

bilbarstow likes this.