Binding Bleed Question

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Big Daddy B, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Big Daddy B

Big Daddy B Senior Member

So I know what it is, why it happens, etc, etc. My question is I have read online that there was a brief period where Gibson used a non aniline dye on Historics to prevent the bleed. I think it was 2009-2012. Is there any truth to this? Almost every historic I have seen has it but cant recall seeing any from that time period specifically. I can say I do own a 2010 Custom made in the custom shop but it is painted black and my binding has not turned grey yet :rofl:

Attached Files:

2. ESchmidt

ESchmidt Senior Member

I have a 2010 R8. Absolutely no bleeding whatsoever.

3. Big Daddy B

That is good to know. I am not a fan of bleed and am looking at a 2011 Historic. Pics were hard to see the binding so thought I would see what other's experience is.

4. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

My 2014 r9 has the bleed along the neck so far and I love it. It comes from the heat of your hands while playing. So the areas where I play most on the neck have it other areas no so much. You hardly notice it and it's like a badge of honor that says I play the hell out of it frequently. It's all part of the guitars life story. Btw you won't get bleed on your custom. Only happens from stain not paint

Sct13 likes this.
  5. Big Daddy B

Yeah I know I was just joking about the custom. I also agree with everything you say about bleed but still I just cannot get around to liking it. Not sure why it bothers me. I guess I am a guy that doesn't want to see his guitars age and just stay like they are today, even my relics lol. I don't want them getting more reliced. Weird I know.

6. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I don't like a Non bleeder anymore....

I think its because it shows I have been playing it... Weird....

It will fade with time anyway....but a 2011 should not have any binding bleed, 2011's have great fret boards for the most part...

7. Big Daddy B

Hey, to each is own. I heard you can play the bleed out of the binding but alas my rotation is too large that i wouldn't end up playing a guitar that much. But that's a good problem to have IMO.

8. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Both my '11 R9s have great boards and no bleed. My '04 CR6 has a great board too and had a serious bleed issue but it's mostly faded/payed away now. I kinda' wish my '11s would have bled.

Sct13 likes this.
  9. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I have a very late 2012 R9 and it has no bleed what so ever and no fade to the back, my 2014's, both R8s have the bleeding and the back and especially the neck has faded to a lighter cherry (almost yellow).

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  10. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

11. Big Daddy B

Thanks guys. Seems like I should be good with the 2011 R9 I am looking at. I will most likely move forward.

12. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Late 2012 R8, no bleed, Late 2016 R8 - bleeding, late 2013 LPC, - some bleed (there are other strange things about the LPC, SRTB, CBs, Rosewood...) and a 96 SG Standard which has some bleed.. so in summary only the 2012 R8 has none. Hope this helps...

mudface likes this.
  13. Big Daddy B

I went ahead and just purchased this amber R9 from Japan. 2011 with factory bigsby
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Heinz57

Heinz57 Senior Member

Gibson switched dyes on the backs in 2013, without doing the proper R&D first. The dyes were not given enough time to dry properly, and when covered in lacquer, any heat that softens the lacquer will cause the dye to seep into it.

Being a fan of aged guitars, I noticed that the 2013 and 2014 guitars that have lacquer that has been chipped off look different than the chips on 2012 and earlier guitars. It appears to me that the lacquer flakes off more easily on the 2013 and 2014 guitars (bigger flakes).

Also, the 2013 and 2014 aged guitars were much more shiney, as if they didn't get the full VOS "sauce" treatment. My guess is that they did not want to do anything that would heat up or penetrate the lacquer causing bleeding at the factory. The main ingredient in the "sauce" is boiled linseed oil. Having aged a few guitars myself, it only takes a few drops of linseed oil, but a lot of buffing into the finish to get the desired dull result.

Note: When I say boiled linseed oil, I'm not referring to the temperature when applied.

Could be that the True Historics were given more time for the dye to dry, and then thinner coats of lacquer to speed up the curing process and make the lacquer harder, so they could get the full hand buffed "VOS" treatment again. I'm guessing that the Standards were not.

Note: I believe that it is actually illegal to discuss Gibson's proprietary information, such as manufacturing techniques and formulas, so I will leave it here.

Nice score, BTW!

linseedoil.jpg

mrfett, mudface and Sct13 like this.
  15. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

My 2013 R8 has rampant bleeding, but I started playing it when it was close to brand new. I later got a 2014 R8 that had been hanging in a shop for 2 years, and while I've played it a bunch, there is practically no bleeding whatsoever. I think it may be a combination of dye mix and aging with the 2014. It was able to cure uninterrupted for a long time, unlike the 2013.

Also, the 2013 was a VOS, and the 2014 was gloss, so the treatment probably played a role as well. I love 'em both. They both have nearly the same feel, and the necks have the same thick and creamy profile. My fave is the 2013, mostly through familiarity, but the 2014 is just a bit "brighter" sounding.

The bleed is finally starting to fade, but very gradually. Doesn't bother me in the least.

trapland, Sct13 and mudface like this.
  16. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

if it bleeds.....we can kill it....

Sct13 likes this.
  17. Big Daddy B

You can ride the red river, you just can't drink from it.

Leotis and Sct13 like this.
  18. DanD

DanD Senior Member

19. Big Daddy B

I am gonna go all Noah up in this arc. Just picked up a 2011 R0 to go with the 2011 R9...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Nice Score!

But A 1960 Should not have any bleed, because I think they moved to a more colorfast red in late 1960 ...

Nice Fret board!

Enjoy!