Bill Lawrence USA L500 P90 Sized Humbucker... Fingers crossed.

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rocco Crocco, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I just bought one on Ebay for my Double Cut Special. I do like the p90s, but for the band I'm in, I just prefer humbuckers. Here's the link.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=371847057884

[​IMG]

The choices for high output p90 sized humbuckers are a bit limited. DiMarzio Super Distortion, DiMarzio Tone Zone, and this Bill Lawrence pickup were the options I was considering. I went with the Bill Lawrence PU because I have never tried one so I'm interested to see how it sounds in my geeter.

Anyone have any experience with this pickup??

Benjammin likes this.
  2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

very interesting :hmm:

3. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

Yes. One of my buddies had mounted such a thing in a CBS Strat, around 1980 (there was already a P90 sized Bill Lawrence, although it was physically different, if memory serves me right). This thing ruled for palm muting through a stack. According to the words used by my bandmates, it "smoked" a DiMarzio Super Dist in the main axe played by another friend... :)

And I've still here one examplary of the 'Bill Lawrence USA" shown in your pic.

I've tried it only in my experimental test guitar (a kind of superstrat, routed to receive any pickup).

It's far to sound like a P90 IME [EDIT: the P90 sized DiMarzio HB's that I've also here are closer but don't match the real thing either: even their "DLX" fails IME, although it's supposed "to preserve some of the clean and open character of the original soapbar" (to quote DM advertising)... The most P90 sounding HB that I've tried remains the Kinman P90Hx].

IME, the P90 sized BL USA has the big bass range and edgy bright mid scooped upper register that old BL's had, but in an exagerated way (nasal, with a higher "Q factor"). More "ceramic" sounding, so to speak.

Having compared it directly to other L500's that I've here (Wilde model with AlNiCo and vintage iteration), I tend to find the BL USA less musical.

YMMV: it's a certainly a good pickup if you want to cut the mix and anyway, it might sound totally different in your guitar than in mine. Don't hesitate to mount it with 300k or 250k pots if you find it too bright...

Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  4. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

I like their regular size L500XL (I find the Wylde model a bit better though).
    It's chime and brightness that most high output pups lack.
    You can expect very bright response out of this narrower field humbucker.
    Please report back!
    Cheers!