Bill Lawrence pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SpinWheelz, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

That's interesting about the humbuckers fitting into soapbar cavities. I did get a reply from Becky after all - told me that they didn't have dogeared P90s and but suggested that I try with Lollar.

However, on second thought, I did break out the Riviera last night and it didn't sound as bad as I remember. Maybe I ought to leave well-enough alone for the time being. Cheers.

2. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

Well, as far as P-90's go, Lollar is sort of a mythic figure. His P-90's sound incredibly good- I actually prefer them over some of the originals.

I'll have to ask Becky next time I talk to her if they no longer make, or have in stock, those P-90 mounting rings to retrofit their L-500 and L-600 series pickups. I'm sure you could make one out of a P-90 cover, (like Gibson did for the LP Deluxe,) but they used to supply them with the pickups.

3 P-90's on a semi-hollow sounds fantastic. Yamaha makes that one guitar like that, and I think it sounds great.

3. Snake

Snake Member

Just wondering, I never saw a Bill Lawerence pickup for a seven-stringed guitar... does he make some and I'm unawere of it or he simply doesn't? :hmm:

I don't have a guitar with those many strings on it LOL, although I do consider the possibility of acquiring one someday. I'm just wondering since i highly regard BL pickups, especially because Nuno Bettencourt might just be one of my biggest aspirations in musical terms :laugh2:

4. agejaded

agejaded Member

[​IMG]

I bought this pickup in 1983 and had it in my Iceman for around 20 years. The reliced finish is genuine :thumb:

5. markanini

markanini Senior Member

6. markanini

markanini Senior Member

Johnny Lang using L500 on a custom tele. Bridge PU throughout.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwWktSpDE0g]YouTube - Give Me Up Again[/ame]

7. Epi 57 classic

Epi 57 classic Senior Member

Here is some information.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/78413-gibson-original-hb-l-hb-r.html

8. OMINOUS SOUL

OMINOUS SOUL Junior Member

can you give me some info about the l-900xl pickups?

9. markanini

markanini Senior Member

For those with fears/opinions about BL PUs being overly bright here's some discussion of a solution using a resistor and capacitor in the wiring chain to emulate PAF responce:
    Modification of L-500L toward L465 sound - Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate - Gear Discussion - Fender Info-Base? (F.I.B.?) - Message Board Yuku
    Just Tried Parallel Capacitor with BL pup - Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate - Gear Discussion - Fender Info-Base? (F.I.B.?) - Message Board Yuku
    Added parallel resistor to a BL Pickup: PeteMK1 - Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate - Gear Discussion - Fender Info-Base? (F.I.B.?) - Message Board Yuku
    L-600s: options and characteristics - Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate - Gear Discussion - Fender Info-Base? (F.I.B.?) - Message Board Yuku

And it makes sense! The BLs are bright due to the fact that they are state of the art modern pickups designs and thus in opposition to copies of classic desings with charming little faults included. You have headroom to tame the treble to your liking or love them for what they are. Think of it as modularity.

After and scouring youtube for clips and trialing a loaner L90 I'm convinced character doesn't come dragging behind. They all have warmth, bite, chime, sizzle and twang in varying degrees depending on which model you choose.
    The signature clarity and low price is just icing on the cake ;)

Note: I'm really hoping not to come through as being affiliated with Bill Lawrence. I'm simply ecstatic that I found the missing piece for getting a professional tone at a student budget with his products.(In my country it's not uncommon to study into your 30s)

10. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

How's the single coil BL? I'm was going order a set of Keystones.

11. markanini

markanini Senior Member

12. markanini

markanini Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jyn3l-0r9U]YouTube - Aerosmith - Last Child Live[/ame]
    Aerosmith live clip from 2004. Joe Perry plays a L90 equiped tele.

13. markanini

markanini Senior Member

Stumbled upon this AxeFX demo on youtube a while back. It's a nice showcase of tones you can get from the L500.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDMmA9tYIF4[/ame]

Still diggin my L90 set BTW. Spent an evening tweaking distance to strings and discovered something really interesting after hitting the sweet spot. You play long notes high up on the neck with lots of vibratio and you get an ungodly resonance where the bass and treble interact in a dynamic way. It's a bit like when rock vocalist split their voice in a howly screech but more subtle. Havent heard this from any other pickup. Will have to post some awesome clips soon...

14. markanini

markanini Senior Member

Anybody here own the L90's? I still get surprised by the range of tones I get out of mine. Recently took the tone caps completely out of my wiring cavity and and ended up I liking the tones. Each position has an interesting flavor. Bridge sounds like a Tele/overwound-PAF hybrid, middle has one part Firebird one part Filtertron characteristics and the neck position gives me a high end that's a lot like a 60's Strat neck pup with that fat PAF bottom.

For anyone that owns L90's here's my short subjective run down of characteristics I heard with standard cap values I've tried earlier:
    .047 - PAF-like, good blues tone with tone control rolled down
    .022 - Good all-rounder, cuts through well, somewhat P90-like

Anyway good fun value from these pups If anything. Not exactly the PAF/P90 hybrid promised but then I read an interview with Lollar where he said the old P90s weren't as honky and ice-picky as you're led to believe so what do you know....

Here's a shot of my L90 equiped axe:
    [​IMG]

:cheers:

15. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I can't speak for Bill's humbuckers, but I have a set of his pickups in my Roadworn 50s RI relic Tele and I love 'em (Keystones). Joe Perry has used them in his Strat and Tele's before. I'd like to get a set of his vintage style Strat pickups (Keystones) sometime, as I love my Tele pickups. I think Bill makes great stuff, highly underrated. I'm a long time Fralin lover of his Strat and Tele pickups, but the Lawrence Keystones being as cheap as they are had me expecting mediocre sound, but I was pleasantly surprised. They are very unflavored, pure, and clean. It's basically a microphone. Great for clean or light TS-style OD. For heavier overdrive, I prefer the Fralin's. I find with Lawrence on my Tele, I can roll back the tone and get a very acoustic-y tone out of my Tele.

16. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

When I lived in Nashville,Willi was working on either Division or Demonbreun street and I took my 1970 LP Deluxe up to the shop and wanted his rails.He routed the cavities put in the pups and Q and L filters and changed the pots.Very clean sound through a Twin.He only charged me for the parts,no labor.Very cool guy and a jazz player.

17. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

Sorry for necroposting but aren't LP90ss(humbucker) and L-220s(SC) the aerosmith pickups?