Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups? Some specs?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by richedie, Jul 19, 2011.

1. raunch

raunch Senior Member

Had to dig this thread up again, because I've fallen in love with the sound of my new Les Paul Custom '89 with Bill Lawrence pickups. I measured the resistance, and my multi-meter also spat out the following:

Bridge: 13.4k ohms
    Neck: 7.4k ohms

I'd been looking for a decent Les Paul for a while (maybe two years) and I finally settled on getting either an R6, an R8 or a Les Paul Custom. Since I couldn't find a decent new LPC, I focused on the used market.

Long story short, I found a 1989 LPC, tried it out and realised it had all the things I was looking for. It's relatively light, and has a nice transparent bright tone (unplugged). I like classic rock tones, chewy Marshall tones, in your face crunch, so I was hoping that these qualities would transfer to its amp'ed sound.

I buy the LP and come home, plug it in and....wow. Actually, it was more like a "HOLY F**K". Something harmonizes with my Marshall clone (it's a Metro 68 12000 clone, same ingredients as Dave Friedman's recollection of Eddie's amp). It sounds so darn good to my ears. Very raw without that stale sounding modern metal tone. Very bright without being annoying, yet it's a very balanced sound, alive. And chewy...woody...classic.

I've gone from GASing for an entire LP collection to just loving this guitar with almost 14k circuit board pups (!!!). Who'd have thought.

Won't be replacing these any time soon. If you're into woody-chewy, give them a go. Highly recommended.

2 people like this.
  2. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Senior Member

I have one that has a HBL+ label and measures 15k DC resistance. I remember it as a good sounding pickup but have not used it for years in any guitar.

Cheers Stephan

3. oldschoolblues

oldschoolblues Junior Member

Hi Stephan, do you stil have this pickup, would you sell it? Cheers

bulletproof likes this.
  4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

PM sent...:yesway:

5. oldschoolblues

oldschoolblues Junior Member

Hi, does that mean you have one? :)

bulletproof likes this.