Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups? Some specs?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by richedie, Jul 19, 2011.

1. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Hi all!

I have the Bill Lawrence circuit board p'ups in two of my Gibsons. I really like them, they are very creamy and very balanced, a true Gibson tone to my ears. Question though, does anyone know about the wind or the magnet? Even or staggered wind? alnico V magnet?

Thanks!!!

2. richedie

richedie Senior Member

anyone

3. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Well they are this big by that wide and read around 14k that is what I know.

4. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I think all you need to know 'bout the p'ups you've got it right here...

As they're encapsulated, it's difficult to find somebody that BUTCHERED some valuable (to some) p'up just to have a look inside.

I haven't heard from any dead coil in these p'ups, so I can't help with specs.

HTH,

5. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

You can go to Home Page and find contact info to Bill there, Becky is most likely to answer. But then you'll hear it from the guy who designed them:)

6. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

You problably only get Henries and magnet info. If you're looking to recreate them i'm sure that some of Bills L500 series will do:)

7. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Be ware if you get Bill he is a stoggy old coot that knows his shit, and if you peak nhis interest with something he will chat for a while.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Member

From my little black book...

Gibson HB-R (Alnico5) measured extremes between 7.0 - 9.1KΩ
    Gibson HB-L (Alnico5) measured extremes between 13.4 - 15.3KΩ

As far as I can tell it's an even wind, and surprisingly thin on the wax, that is to say when one of my bobbins broke I couldn't detect any on the coilwire...

9. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Thanks Rich!!! How did you get that info?

10. fretonme

fretonme Senior Member

hey everyone,I just got a 1989 les paul custom that is a factory 3 pick-up guitar..it is alpine white and looks really cool...it has 3 bill lawrence pick-ups in it..wonder what the middle pick-ups ohms are..I love the sound of it..very good sounding guitar..I love it..

11. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Well, since YOU've got the guitar, the most appropriate thing to do is that YOU take the readings and YOU tell US what they are!

We're all ears...

12. fretonme

fretonme Senior Member

thank you.just was told how to do that..will do when I find my meter...but I hear it might show a little lower if done with the jack cable..

13. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Yeah, but it'll be compensated if the room temperature is higher than 20°C/68°F.

Anyway we only need a ballpark reading, so we're waiting for you to deliver and don't forget to measure ALL THREE PICKUPS! ;) :cool: :lol:

14. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Do you all think these Bill Lawrence Gibson pciksups are brighter than Gisbon Burstbucker Pros?

15. shaun

shaun Banned

I have an 89 Standard that came with these. When i was trying to take the cover of the bridge, i unscrewed the bobbin screws by mistake ( yes i knew nothing of pup design at the time) and ended up with a lap full if copper wire. I had it rewound and put it in an Explorer and it sounds great to me.
    In the Standard i put in a 57 classic, and at the time my initial response was it sounded alot better than the circuit board. The 57 was clearer with more output.

16. richedie

richedie Senior Member

The Bill Lawrence should have more output than the 57. Maybe there was something wrong with the BL after the rewind or maybe the Standard is a hotter guitar.

17. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

They are very smooth and full sounding pickups that have been over looked by collectors who are only looking for shaw's and t-tops at the high prices they command, better get some now, because when the secret gets out they will also go up in value

18. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Nowadays, with the excellent p'ups made by either reputed companies like Duncan, Bare Knuckles, even Di Marzio (I'm NOT including Gibson as they don't rate "excellent" in my book), and the number of "boutique" winders, I just don't get why people would want to get those old, most probably tempered with, Gibson p'ups made with the cheapest materials they could get away with, never meeting the specs as required by their designers (Tom Holmes, Tim Shaw, Bill Laurence and others I can't come up by the top of my head). Why they still pay top dollar for them goes beyond my comprehension.

I think P.T. Barnum was right all along... :dunno:

19. richedie

richedie Senior Member

The Bill Lawrence Gibsons as you say are very full, rich, smooth and creamy. Good clarity too even with 300k pots!

I have had WCR, Wolftone, Guitar Force and the Bill Lawrence pickups are right there with the others! I won't waste money on boutique pickups anyway any longer. Although I would like some Lollar Imperials....used if course. :)

20. johnny q

johnny q Senior Member

Email Gibson's tech support. I did this a few years back and they emailed me a PDF showing all the specs for the circuit board pickups. I would send it to ya, but I lost all my saved emails when a naughty virus took out my PC.

I had these in my 1988 LP Custom. I have tapes and videos of me playing the guitar back in the day and they sounded really nice! That axe has since gone through (no joke) like 20 pickup swaps and I really wonder if the guitar ever sounded as good as it did in stock form.

JQ