Bigsby... Style vs Functionality

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Wyatt Earp, Jan 12, 2019.

1. cjpeck

cjpeck Senior Member

hahahahahahahaha.

Dude, smoke a bowl. You reallllllllly need to relax some.

ed. to add:
    You probably want to lay off the political stuff. It never ends well here. You're pretty new here, so you may not have seen how throwing around words like "libtard" and "Repugnican" end up. It's not pretty and tends to get folks sent to band camp.

Wyatt Earp likes this.
  2. Wyatt Earp

Wyatt Earp Member

It didn't go over well on TGP, that's for sure. :slash:

3. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason Silver Supporter

So you decided to do it here.

Yeah, that's an intelligent move.

4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason Silver Supporter

Well, to be fair he is complaining about a device not being able to do things it was NEVER intended to do.

Frogfur likes this.
  5. Wyatt Earp

Wyatt Earp Member

Here is my OP:
    Except for mild to medium vibrato, you can't do much with them. Dive bombs are pretty much out, but then dive bombs are out. It adds unnecessary weight, and consistent intonation is questionable. Okay, I can see where a rockabilly player would dig them for that sound... For rock players, a Kahler Pro or Floyd is more advanced in every aspect. I'm just sayin... If it's an image thing, okay, but that's not my style. I require functionality and performance. Gary Moore didn't use one, nor did Edward Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Vivian Campbell, John Sykes, Gary Rossington, Ed King, the list goes on... I'll admit, they do add style, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

I was making a comparison; as do millions on a minute-by-minute basis. i.e. Gear reviews. What you don't like, is that I've stated an opinion that you don't agree with.

6. MSB

MSB Senior Member

Old enough, and based on your track record, I do mind.

7. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Bye!

ehb, LtDave32 and Who like this.
  8. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Awwwwww..... he was going to come around. He just needs some steering. :)

S. Rock likes this.
  9. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

I just steered him right into the corner.

ehb, smk506, Who and 3 others like this.
  10. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

[​IMG]

Who and LtDave32 like this.
  11. LtDave32

LtDave32 Desert Star Guitars Super Mod Premium Member MLP Vendor

*Mod Note*

One moderator already handled it, so I'll add this;

When you come back, read this sticky:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/political-posting-amended.312752/

Use that sort of terminology again, go political in any way, reference your politics or anybody else's politics again, and you are going away for a long, long time.

Capice, "Wyatt"?

lol...

Frogfur and Who like this.
  12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I believe you to be mistaken about the intonation issue. Here again if you look at the design and function of a typical Bigsby unit aside from wear, the only thing that checks the string tension and therefore the return to pitch, and that would be the spring and the the spring's tension.
    Even though one can purchase a few different lengths and softer springs, they were designed to produce the resistance to the string pressure in order for the unit to return to pitch. As they get older over the years they can potentially produce less upward resistance creating a slightly out of tune effect. If yours has the nylon cup inside its a good idea to leave it there. If you install softer springs they probably work for some time but will eventually soften up and produce a out of tune battle.

As a former Gunsmith, I've built allot of springs in my day. Some good some not so good. And I'm in the camp that feel string tension on an average guitar neck is around 200lbs. So, if the Bigsby spring is worn, the wrong tension and numbr of coils it might, or might not cause issues giving birth to BS tails about Bigsbys being junk. They're not junk by any means but simply old technology.

There are a few minimal things that can help the typical Bigsby unit. One is a little lubrication please. A tiny drip of lube with a needle oiler on the outside ends of the pitch bar where it pivots in the frame. A tiny drop on the C clamp the retains the pitch bar assembly helps.
    Also when doing a string change, after all the strings are removed it is obvious one can flip the entire Bigsby pitch handle assembly over to the rear exposing the spring itself. If you have a factory mounted unit you can vary the height of the pitch bar handle a little to make it feel a little more useable.
    To so that flip the handle assembly back over on tip of the spring as it would be before starting to restring. With the tips of your fingers, rotate the spring itself and watch the handle move yp and down ever so slightly. Perhaps an eighth of an inch. Maybe a little more. It doesn't sound like much but makes a difference being just a little higher off the guitar body and a bit more comfortable to use.

There are a few other little tid bits but those steps can help some of you a little. For me, without question a roller bridge helps with some installations. The less resistance along the string path the better when it comes to these in my experience. That leaves the nut. If that is squared away then you generally gave a good impression of Bigsbys.

Lastly you guys, can they Wham ..i mean ..really ?
    You Damn Straights they can if you know How ! ..just ask Lonnie Mack and take a listen to Memphis.
    OH ..Yeah ..they can Wham in the right hands.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    BlankinLoud likes this.
  13. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

All I know is that anyone trying to dive bomb a Bigsby needs to have their nads caved in.

You deserve a beheading. They’re not made for that.

“How come I can’t beat a Dodge Challenger in a drag race using a dump truck?” or “How come I can’t move enough gravel with my Dodge Challenger?”

Yes. It’s really that stupid.

Who, Frogfur and S. Rock like this.
  14. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

Ahh, Bigsby. The comic sans of guitar tailpieces/bridges.

Who likes this.
  15. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Or The New York Knickabockers, or the NY Metropolitans.

16. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Not sure why anybody needs more than behind the nut bends, turning the tuners or just pushing or pulling the neck. It’s how God intended us to play.

Who likes this.
  17. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

Okay, now it's your turn:
    [​IMG]

18. Sledge

Sledge Senior Member

Never owned a Bigsby, I'm more of a Floyd guy. Just my opinion, but while a Bigsby looks cool on something like a Gretsch, on a smaller body, like most solids, they look about as elegant as an orthopedic leg brace. Not that Floyds are gorgeous.

Who likes this.
  19. hecube

hecube Senior Member

[​IMG]

Who likes this.
  20. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I seem to remember one of the Chet Atkins guitars had a "wire" handle instead of the flat bar. But, you'd probably have to buy a whole new unit. Not sure.

Derp, someone else already answered this.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019