BFG Refinish -- Flame top?!

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by djwilbanks, Mar 4, 2009.

1. erk187

erk187 Senior Member

I sanded her a bit smoother, worked the red out, hit it with a bit of tinted shellac. Threw a mini humbucker on the neck and a 70s t - top on the bridge. Very happy with the tone.

2. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

Eric, you beat me to it! I like what you did with it, and I'm glad you're happy with it! :thumb:

Yeah, due to recent circumcisions, I had to sell...

3. erk187

erk187 Senior Member

Circumcisions can really put a damper on things..m

1 person likes this.
  4. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

Very nice, sir. I am saddened to have had to let that one go. The tone was one of my favorite guitars, ever. So much that even after it being gone for so long, it's put me off other Les Pauls. I'll probably not own another one save for another BFG down the road. I'm a different person now than I was when I started this project. Had I had the guitar in factory condition now, it would have stayed that way.

For now, I'm a Kauer man, so we'll see how that goes. But, really, lovely job. :dude:

5. erk187

erk187 Senior Member

I'm going to agree with you that the guitars tone is exceptional. Having been through hundreds of them over the years, there are a few that have good tonal qualities. Of course I probably won't keep it, because I just end up selling and trying other things, with the exception of a few guitars... Maybe this will be one of them? I dunno!

6. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Well, if you ever sell it, keep me in mind! :wave:

7. kman007

kman007 Junior Member

So for what it is worth for bringing the BFG saga full circle...I purchased this guitar off a local Craigslist post earlier this past weekend. Not sure what to do with it but I like the tone...it is still quite rough on the edges but if anyone is interested to see the current status of it let me know. Thanks to all that have documented along the way, never bought a guitar with so much said about it.

8. Guitar Joe

Guitar Joe Senior Member

Blimey I stumbled into this thread to see a cool project and get a bloody soap opera lol and then I realise it's from 2 years ago lol. It would be cool to see how it looks now though

9. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Just so you all know-every time this thread comes up, I still feel lousy , or just seeing his name---DJ is one of the kindest people I have come across in my long years. Things have gone worse with health- I now have very suspicious vertigo and 4 weeks ago was in hospital for my heart. I am banned from my shop by the doctors; my disorientation makes me a walking disaster around power tools. So, while I did not intend to let DJ down, I know I hurt him and there is nothing more I can do about it. After the passage of more years I may be able to even things a bit more value-wise if DJ wants to PM or better, email me. It is not ideal(but it is substantial), however, I will never heal myself-I can only try to ease some of DJ's pain of disappointment.

Frankly, the only thing I have had good in the last 2 years is my grandson's birth and growth. I promised my daughter I would have a uke ( S-Mc tenor kit) built for him by Christmas-some friends are moving one of my Workmates to the kitchen, along with my most useful and necessary handtools and it will get one of the Stew-Mac vises installed on it.It has a 50 pound Record Mechanic's Vise bolted to it right now.

Attached Files:

10. kman007

kman007 Junior Member

Ole' Lefty, I by no means intended to stir up any bad feelings to/from anyone...congratulations on the time you are able to spend with your grandson, pretty special. In my own defense I didn't really read all the posts and focused on those dealing with details of this guitar.

I originally had questioned that it was authentic Gibson, or rather that it was the actual guitar featured in this post. The serial font appears thin and the fretboard markers make the neck set look odd. But the lineage seems to align with the guitar I now have in hand and the other traits can be chalked up to the sanding of the original BFG "carve"after the factory set. Regardless, it is a pretty cool looker and quite a player, not a particular fan of the dyed fretboard. I knew I was getting into something that might not be as marketable as a stock Gibby as far as its resale, but felt like taking a chance. For anyone who is interested, I am posting some pics of the guitar in its current state...but nothing is final ;)

Attached Files:

11. kman007

kman007 Junior Member

Not actively selling the guitar but if anyone is interested I certainly would entertain offers, trades etc. A LP Junior, P-90, the older the better would be cool. Message me.

12. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I emailed you and PM'd you. I just want you to know, I'm not worried about you "evening" things out or worrying about any value lost on this guitar. The guitar left and came back in the same condition, you didn't do anything to it, so you don't have to compensate me for anything.

I really appreciate that you wanted to help me out, and we had some awesome ideas that were really gonna push that guitar over the top. But at the end of the day, it's wood and metal. You're a human being, and I would never value a guitar over your well-being.

Besides, the guitar is up, it's rocking, its destiny fulfilled.

1 person likes this.
  13. kman007

kman007 Junior Member

After I located the private messages section of the forum, it indicated that I do not have the privilege of messaging. So I am not sure if I will receive message(s).

14. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Thank you, DJ. Once again you show why you are a representation of what a forum can be and what friendship will do.

15. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

I don't know who you want to PM in this thread;my contact info outside the forum is in my profile and I believe DJ's may be as well - I think you need 50 posts to have the PM function.

16. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Yeah, gotta have fifty posts to activate PM privileges. I think you can go like a bunch of posts and that counts too.

17. kman007

kman007 Junior Member

Actually got to turn my amp up loud this weekend. Guitar sounded great, and I got a few compliments on it specifically. It is growing on me a bit now and it is so much lighter than my 01 Standard. Bridge pickup has some bite to it...that and a little vintage MXR dynacomp boost made the infamously clean deluxe reverb a delicous grit machine.

18. jp litch

jp litch Senior Member

That pic claps in time with your avatar!

19. kman007

kman007 Junior Member

Who was I kidding...they are all for sale or trade to keep the G.A.S. going!:hmm:

20. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

1 person likes this.