BFG Refinish -- Flame top?!

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by djwilbanks, Mar 4, 2009.

1. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Welp, I gulped nervously after dismantling my BFG. Taped it all up, and sat down and started going after it.

So let me show you where I started:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the spot that's been sanded down near the cutaway? That was me sanding down a spot where Gibson mills out the top for the neck placement and for some reason, on the BFGs, it leaves a divet.

So this is where I got yesterday when I did a test sand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was expecting just a boring ol' plain top (sorry, plain-jane lovers), but to my surprise there was a very subtle flame.

Today, I tried a little more by hand:

[​IMG]

But I got sick of that really quick (I'm impatient). So I took out the B&D Mouse and started sanding. Now before you say I'm going to wreck the top, I let the sander do most of the work, and to be honest, I'm not going for perfect here, I'm doing this partly for experience and partly because I just can't leave well enough alone. :laugh2: Besides, this is a BFG for goodness sake, its supposed to be kinda beat up, but that being said, I didn't wreck the carve... not enough that you or I would notice.

So here's where I am at the moment, I ran out of time and sandpaper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, aside from right there around the control area the BFG's trademark waves are flat. What you're seeing is a little bit of alcohol I used to clean off the top and the natural wood grain. Most of it had dried up, the flame is much more uniform. The only thing that concerns me is right there on the right side, near the controls and below the tailpiece anchors. See how the wood is slightly discoloured? No doubt why Gibson chose this specific wood for a opaque coloured BFG... hopefully it'll either clean up with naptha or I'll chalk it up to character.

I'll get some naptha when I get more sandpaper and that will help bring the grain out more in future pictures.

(and yes, I have to do my sanding on a trashbag on my recliner... don't ask. :rolleyes:)

2. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

I like the way that's going! It might be a bit discolored, but if you finish that in a burst (I don't know what your plans are) I don't think that would be noticeable! Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

3. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I was just going to go for a trans colour, but I may have to darkburst it if that discolouration doesn't at least soften with the naptha... anything that's there will be amplified when the dye is put on.

4. carydad

carydad Senior Member

Mine was plain. Absolutely no flame, but she is still cool. Sounds way different with just a tung oil finish on it.

5. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

I notice you are doing a good job keeping the contours and edges clean. It should look good. ole'lefty

6. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I don't want it rounded off... I'm still toying with the idea of getting some scrap maple and practicing putting binding on. :eek:

If that goes well... who knows! :hmm:

7. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

I almost bought that guitar and would have done the same exact thing with it. Good job, I think that top is going to be really nice.

8. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Looking good. Keep going. Whatever you do...do not use water to clean it off. Use alcohol or naptha.

9. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

yeah, I've been using alcohol, but I'm going to get some naptha on Friday.

10. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

Cool, I'm glad that there was some flame under there. Cant wait to see the final product.

11. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

i'm GASsing for a bfg!

12. jimmypage14

jimmypage14 Senior Member

Wow who would have thought

13. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I sure didn't.

Everyone told me I should look for these differing streaks along the edge of the cap if it were flamed. I looked, no streaks. I took of the finish and a bunch of pretty flames were staring me in the face.

Now I just need to get some binding. :laugh2:

14. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Just a quick update... I won't be able to do any more work on the guitar until Monday. I have to work tomorrow and the family will be home Saturday and my little ones won't appreciate the infernal scream of the sander. :laugh2:

Update on Monday, hopefully!

15. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

this thing is gonna be straight up pimpin when your done bro. i look froward to watching the progress!

16. gui524

gui524 Senior Member

yo mah gangsta that willz be sam wickud shit when yah done biotch !!
    hahaha, never expected to see a BFG with a flame top ... i'm planning to do that in my classic, but I don't got the guts

17. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

This is, I think, what I'm going for... more transparent of course, but I couldn't get the colours to come through on the guitar creator with them as trans as I'd like.

Kind of an orangeburst... if not just an all over orange like a wildkat or something.

But I dig it.

Thanks for compliments, guys. :)

18. Strom Duzler

Strom Duzler Member

idk if this is off topic, but after seeing all of these bfg refinishes i think it would be pretty cool to sand down only half down the middle, you'd end up with two-face! haha

19. Davey Rockets

Davey Rockets Senior Member

Awesome work so far!! Totally cannot wait to see the finished product. That orange color looks amazing! Gotta luv the BFG, especially when people make it their own.

[​IMG]

20. straightblues

straightblues Senior Member

That is looking sweet. I keep thinking about doing something like that to my BFG. My BFG has become my number 1 guitar. I sounds so darn good that I am afraid of doing anything that will mess with the tone.