Beta 87 fake alert

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Big John, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

My drummer just went through this. If you're thinking about purchasing a Beta 87A or 87C in the future, then heads up. I recently found pics that show the proof. Another way to tell is if the mic works without phantom power.

Fake is on the left in both shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Big John

Another way to tell...below are pics of a REAL Shure Beta 87 box. If you spot a box and it doesn't look like this, then it isn't real.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Big John

.....and it doesn't matter if the seller is a dealer or not. If you hit up eBay right now, you'll see some Shure dealers actually selling these fake 87s as real ones. Sad.

4. Kalz

Kalz Senior Member

5. Big John

Physical signs of a fake 87, as compared with my own eyes:

(1) The number of screws at the bottom of the barrel...real ones have 2 screws, and the fakes have one.

(2) At the male XLR connection of a real 87, "Shure" will be molded into the plastic directly underneath the center lug. The fakes don't have this.

(3) The capsule of a real 87 shows the diaphragm being suspended by 3 pillars. The capsule of the fake has it's diaphragm sitting in a molded crown like a regular SM57/58.

(4) The metal collar holding the blue ring has thin edges on a real one, and the blue ring itself is lighter in color.

(5) The Shure badge on the real one has very crisp and clean lettering, whereas the fake's lettering appears "bulky".

(6) Finally, if the mic works fine with AND without phantom power, then it is not a condenser mic. If it's not a condenser mic, then there's no way in hell it's a real Beta 87.

As for the dealer's story, it depends 100% on which distributor the dealer got them from. But that's not my problem.

I'm actually thinking about starting an eBay auction that explains all this, because it pisses me off that my drummer (who's been one of my best friends for over 30 years) got screwed...people need to know.

6. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Boy, that fake looks like a 57 in a different housing.

I know there are plenty of fakes out there. And especially with 57s and 58s, it's too difficult for me to discern the difference. They're one of the few things I take the hit and buy new just for the sake of knowing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kalz

Kalz Senior Member

Have you contacted Shure?

8. Big John

Yes I have, and apparently, so have others. For whatever stupid reason, Shure has not answered any correspondences on the matter, nor have they made any public effort to warn consumers.

9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

They probably just don't want to draw attention to it because then weary consumers might stay away from 87s altogether!

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Perhaps they changed construction and these are not fakes?

11. Big John

umm...