Best Wah Wah pedal

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by 2001standard, Dec 31, 2011.

1. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

I like the Ernie Ball Wah Pedal, it sounds as good as my old Thomas Organ wah that got stolen but with a larger sweep.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovld0LDOBg0]Ernie Ball Wah Pedal - YouTube[/ame]

2. Ace1432

Ace1432 Senior Member

will do! :thumb:

3. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

I just had a brainstorm or brainfart. Why not put in a vintage Bumblebee or Vitamin Q PIO cap into your wah? You could have the first Bee-Wah. Bee-wah or be square. :slash:

2 people like this.
  4. 709gibson

709gibson Member

My zackk wylde is a great pedal it has a large sweep and is about the same price as a regular dunlop.

5. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

6. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

You're welcome. Wilson Effects makes some great stuff, but doesn't seem to have a very high profile here. Brett Kingman (Burgerman666) is a fan and has done a number of demos of Wilson products.

Wilson has a backlog, and some products are only available directly, so you can't exactly go to GC and try them out. I have three pedals coming shortly, but I'll leave the demos to Brett.

7. Spot

Spot Senior Member

I've done the wah research and aquire thing twice in past few years. I've tried about everything but keep coming back to the same 1970 Vox King Wah I've been using the last 12 years. Find one of those and do the true-bypass mod and you'll have a stand-out vintage wah thing going on.

[​IMG]

If you're looking for something new that's reasonable, the BBE wah is basically a 535Q clone that actually sounds warmer in my opinion. Nice pedal for the price.

[​IMG]

Shutting up.

8. Tangerine

Tangerine Guitaraholic Premium Member

I like these too, I'm thinking about picking one up very soon. :D

9. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

My personal fave is the original V847(mine doesn't have the AC so I just use the batt. adaptor).
    I also used the Cry Baby for years,but never liked the topend it threw out.
    But for ease of use and instant "on",due to the optical whatsit,I use the Weeping Demon Jnr(smaller footprint).
    Sure,it can't hold a match to the VOX,but it does me for live work. Probably would,ve sprung for the Morley,but the Ibanez was smaller and cheaper.

All these other wahs with extra knobs and flight sims and such...c'mon! I'm just rocking a pot back and fro with my stinking foot :laugh2:

Garnish,to me,sorry fellas.

1 person likes this.
  10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

yeah, that's what i like about my picture wah... no switches or knobs. sounds good with no adjustments. i hate tweaking stuff.

11. Sky

Sky Senior Member

Vox is the way to go...I have 2 myself.

12. beachbum82

beachbum82 Member

I love wahs. It's probably my favorite effect ever, haha. Most people tend to like one type of tone when it comes to wahs, but I really love two. The first is your classic oldschool Hendrix/SRV super quacky tone. For me, it's very hard to beat the wahs offered by Geoffrey Teese. the RMC3 and Picture wahs are perfect for this.

The second wah tone I love is a modern, in your face tone with an extremely large sweep and very vocal quality. The unit that does this best IMO is the EMB Audio Remote wah. It's unlike any other wah, not a traditional design at all. It's super thick and makes dunlop/vox style wahs sound and feel rather thin in comparison.

13. RobLeB

RobLeB Member

"...gotta have more cow bell!" LOL

14. ny_byooboy

ny_byooboy Member

Can he git an amen, and more cow bell?

15. ny_byooboy

ny_byooboy Member

+1, Hell yeah. You have got to try this pedal out, for sh!+% and giggles at least...

16. Deguello

Deguello Senior Member

I have a Bonamassa Cry Baby on order. I will give it an honest review once I get it

17. Woodsie

Woodsie Senior Member

I have the Dimebag Crybaby From Hell only because it was given to me. it's not bad but not my favorite. it has way too many switches and knobbies for me. I'd much prefer a nice vintage wah like a Vox or standard Crybaby. True bypass wouldn't be a problem either way, cuz i want one of these.

G-Lab True Bypass Wah Pad REVIEW & DEMO (GG-399) - YouTube

18. stadams

stadams Senior Member

I really like my RMC3fl. It can do just about what any other non-rack mount unit can do, including use as a bass wah. It will pretty much do it all. If you are looking for one particular sound, it's in there, find it, and set it and forget it. It also has a fuzz friendly buffer. The only problem is that sometimes they seem hard to find.

1 person likes this.
  19. Raffie..

Raffie.. Member

just go with the Cyrybaby GCB95, and install Dunlop Red Fasel, and also :

- change the sweep caps to .22uF
    - take off the vocal resistor which is located next to the Inductor, and connect a 100K pots in the slot, drill a small hole on your wah-wah enclosure. You will have a Q control
    - Change the stock DPDT switch to 3PDT, which can make your wah wah true bypass, and also you will able to install an on/off LED indicator.
    - Change all the MKM caps to mylar, or multilayer caps to get more 'juicy' tone
    - Last, tune the pots gear , 2 click towards you.

As the result, you will have a JH or ZW wah with Q control (or somewhere close to them)

Sorry for my English .

2 people like this.
  20. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Niiiiice! :applause:

Thanks for the tips! You make me wish I could solder!
    :D

PS: Nothing wrong with your English bud.