Best Tube Amp for Classic Rock ??

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by BOBBO, Sep 16, 2007.

1. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

EQ is your friend once you have found the pre-amp tone stack you like.

2. MWR

MWR Member

For gigs that I can crank it up a bit my Budda Twinmaster 2x10 crosses sort of that Voxey / Plexi type of territory. Just crank it up and use the old guitar volume control to dial in "clean-to-grind".

3. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

My opinion is there is alot of great Tube amps for Classic Rock!!
    Love the Vox AC30, the Twin(with JBL's!) Showman, Baseman,
    Plexi Marshall, JCM800, Bluesbreaker, HIWATT 100, Orange 120, Ampeg V4,
    depends on the classic rock youre going for,
    I wish i had one of each, i had them all at one time or another

4. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Coldsteal so true , you just cant cover it with even two amps , but possibly two amps, a couple Eq box's and some stomps

5. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Jeez, I don't even know how many amps I've owned in my lifetime... at least 200 I imagine.

None of them could do everything that the others could... So now I find myself buying amps for JUST one sound, and if it does it well, it stays... the next amp I buy is for an entirely different sound, and I refuse to compare them to any of the ones I already have. Buy them for a purpose, not multi purpose.

Although my Transfex 212 Pro modeller sounds pretty sweet, and can emulate some nice amps, it gets a third the use my tube amps do, and they only get used for 1 sound each.

Yea... I'm crazy. Fenders for cleans, Marshalls for dirt and leads, Soldano's for leads, various boutique boxes for blues or what-have-you.

If I like something, and I can afford it, I buy it. No questions asked. :p

6. lp59aholicDon

I have owned a few amps, maybe not as many as you Loki but a fair few, some have been one channel, some have been two I try and squeeze the most outta my buck as I can, but I gotta get at least one channel out of a two channel amp to sound like good Fender Clean, or GOOD Marshall drive / dirt . the next amp I plan for is gonna be a tweed Deluxe Replica , and if I can I will A/B Box it with either my Seymour Duncan or my Mesa Recto verb 50

7. 6pack595

6pack595 Senior Member

British amp tones scream classic rock in my opinion. My Orange AD30r gets the job done for me. My Orange AD15/12 is no slouch either, just has slightly less gain than my AD30r.:hippie:

8. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

I heard one of them Oranges a few weeks ago. It was the Tiny Terror plugged into the 1X12 cabinet. Not bad at all... Gibsonblues... :)

9. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

At the moment I've 70's JMP 2150 combo that covers all bases for classic rock. If I was buying new or after a stack, I would most likely go for a 1959 SLP/HW.

10. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Those tweed Deluxes are VERY nice... You'll be happy when you snag one.

I missed out on an original tweed Blues Deville. The amp was perfect for what I needed and when I showed up to buy it, some other guy was putting a down payment on it at the EXACT same time.

The guy who owns the shop said he'd sell it to me anyway, and tell the guy it got damaged, but I don't want to be a part of that. Something else will come up... I'm really digging the Hot Rod Deville 2x12 right now, although the 'more drive' option is useless.. and doesn't sound very good.

11. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I used to love my blackface Bassman, that was a really
    great Bass Amp, not that loud but the tone for bass is tastey
    would love to have one.

6pac: I was looking at the Orange Tiny Terror, or the 30 combo,
    nice combination of clean and OD sounds on both! One of the
    Youtube demos a guy did at home had the best Hendrix clean
    sound ive heard in years.

12. lp59aholicDon

Well Then Loki I may have a VERY simple Don Mod for you that will improve your Hot Rod, You wont have that jump in the Master Volume either

13. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I can get all the cleans and dirty's I need out of these.

[​IMG]

14. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I hate that! Its so hard to get a decent low volume cuz you're creeping up on the thing... its almost there... almost... and WHAM! 40db jump with the knob on 2. :D

If I decide to keep it, I'll be askin' ya for that one my friend! Its still a toss up... I might hold off for something spectacular.. Have a few options... there is a 1962 Fender Concert Amp in blonde tolex that has the BEST tone I've ever heard out of a clean amp... EVER. I'm not exaggerating either.. I played it for 4 hours at my friends shop on the tremolo channel and after I left I could hear the tones in my head until the next day. I even had a dream about it, it was so perfect.

He doesn't want to sell it, but he said I could borrow it anytime. I figure I'll wait till the end of the month when rent is due and make him an offer. ;)

Haha

15. lp59aholicDon

LOL Loki, your like me cutting deals, Get when they are weak and make em buckle :rofl::rofl::rofl:. I believe ya bout the old Fender Concert I mean check Vintage prices going on em ! Good luck, PM'ed you the mod

16. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Speaking of Fenders, i had a DREAM Blackface Bassman back
    when i was 14, it was one of the original Small size
    2 12" cabs that had the tiltback bars on it.
    That bassman was a louder bass cab than the large cab 2 12"
    speaker cabs for some reason.

Man what i wouldnt give for that amp now it would be perfect
    for studio work.

This photo was taken of me and my amp back in 67 believe it or not,
    check out the pegged pants, mocasins, striped socks and Japanese made Tele bass.
    (Notice the old Gibson my rythm guitairst had, it was an F Hole jazz style hollowbody with P-90
    not even sure what model it is, but he said last year HE STILL HAS IT, its from the 50's its Kind of
    like a 225 but without the cutaway)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Thanks brotha! I think I might keep this Hotrod afterall... throw a couple vintage 30's in there, and walk away smiling. :)

Mr. Coldsteal, that same shop I was talking about has the identical bassman, in MINT condition... I've been dreaming about for a while... But now that the Concert is there, its haunting me. :D

18. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I like the old Traynors or a Plexi. Basically the same circuit. They just rock.

19. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

I'm looking for a good Fender for classic rock ??? Opinions ?