Best tube amp for bedroom levels

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jcas367, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle Senior Member

If you ever played an Peavey Classic 30, you would forget about all the amps that was mention in this thread. Great Clean/out of this world creamy overdrive channel. Build like tank. Cheap on the used market. Everyone I know who sold their Peavey Classic as regret it. Its the one that should never got away.

jcsk8 likes this.
  2. Max_

Max_ Senior Member

I have a Fender Blues Junior. 15 watts, but with the master volume backed off you can get some nice overdriven tones.

3. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Fantastic Creamy Overdrive, but definitley not at bedroom levels.

4. Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle Senior Member

There is a post volume (master) on the OD channel. All the drive you want at bedroom level.

5. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

+1 and a friggin steal... if you look you can get a SF one for about $300. I got a dripedge 68 for $199. Excellent amp... was just playing it.

Ed B and rlammjr like this.
  6. rlammjr

rlammjr Senior Member

I play mine with a reverb pedal and a Green Rhino Overdrive and it just nails Led Zep. As for cleans, you just have to play one to believe it. Best kept secret ever.....:naughty:
    I would post an audio clip from my Iphone but I do not know how. Anyone?

7. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

Forgot to add to this to my post, I threw a MXR Classic Overdrive pedal to the Class 5 and even with the low volume setting it really makes the amp sound great. It's my own version of a Master volume control for the amp since it doesn't have one.

8. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

Here's a rather lousy quality (blame Kodak) one when I first got the amp... you get the idea. No reverb... just straight into the amp with a 80's ESP 400 series strat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU_UqSWuqfI]Fender Silverface Bronco Demo - YouTube[/ame]

9. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

I play mine everyday at bedroom. Of course it´s not his very best sound. Every amp tube sound better when cranked at pre ant post, but very useable.

10. Matty

Matty Senior Member

IMO you need to realize bedroom volumes are about compromises. Yes some sound good, even very good but they're all going to sound better turned up. Even if you can get the power tubes saturating at low volumes, you are missing the natural speaker breakup and the thump of moving air. All amp companies are aware of the market for low volume tube amps now and I think the products will only improve, power scaling seems to be taking off and I'm sure the designs can only get better. The future looks to be primed for a generation of unannoying guitar players, what has R'n'R come too?

Backstage likes this.
  11. Superlizard

Superlizard Senior Member

I've done the Master Volume amp route (Marshall 2210).

I've done the small amp route (Z-Vex Nanohead).

I've done the attenuator route (THD Hot Plate).

But by far, the best tube amp for bedroom levels, or any levels... is a slaved system.

You can achieve cranked-amp tone, sans attenuator-squash, at any volume (including bedroom levels)... with all the feedback and juicy harmonic overtones with this system.

No BS.

And you get the added benefit of having FX after the powerstage (of the 1st amp) - works great with time-based FX - you get clear, clean repeats.

12. Superlizard

Basic premise is this:

1st Amp
    |
    Dummy load
    Line Out Box
    |
    FX
    |
    2nd Amp
    |
    Speaker

13. onioner

onioner Senior Member

I just recently tried the dummy load / line out thing, and I generally concur that it's a good low volume solution. I still really miss the speaker interaction, but I guess that's gonna happen with any low volume playing.

In my case I'm using a miniMASS. I set the volume to zero and use the LI into a cheap old crate SS amp. With the amp in question it sounds better than getting a similar volume level using just the attenuation. That said, I have another amp where the master is the best solution, and the miniMASS actually works decently with my little 5W Tweed. Conclusion: different methods work for different amps.

But, I do agree that using a post amp line out into a SS amp is a worthwhile approach. Still unsatisfying, but again, I don't think there's any satisfying way to play at really low volumes. It's all about compromise, and what sounds better compared to something else at the same volume level.

14. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

ok guys i'm a little slow on this and am just clarifying so i don't blow up anything

Tube Amp Speaker out > to attenuator on bypass > out to return FX loop in on SS Amp ?

thanks,
    Jay

15. onioner

onioner Senior Member

You still need a speaker attached to the attenuator, just set to full attenuation so it produces no sound, and the line out goes into the regular input of the slaved amp.

16. Superlizard

Not exactly - it all depends on the gear being used.

A HotPlate, for example, does not need a speaker hooked up to act as a dummy load; nor does an actual dummy load. For example, when I bias my amp or slave, I use only the HotPlate set to "Load"; no speaker attached.

The line out could go to FX boxes (then to 2nd amp) or just straight to the 2nd amp.

When you get to the 2nd amp, you can either go straight in to the input, or the effects return (bypassing the preamp). Depending on your 2nd amp and the line out you're using, it may sound better one way or the other.

For example, the HotPlate line out is too hot a signal to go into a 2nd amp input. It would probably sound best bypassing the 2nd amp's preamp.

As well, there are many ways to do the line out. Off your attenuator, a separate box (Suhr ISO line out for ex) or even build-your-own line out box.