Best tube amp for bedroom levels

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jcas367, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jcas367

jcas367 Senior Member

Hey guys, I've been looking at low wattage tube amps recently. The one that really caught my eye was the Marshall Class 5 head and cab but after further research I learned that although they're only 5 watts, they can be pretty loud. My question is what low wattage tube amp is the best for bedroom/apartment levels that has a master volume so I can get any amount of crunch I need? Thanks in advance!

2. CHUNKYNECK

CHUNKYNECK Senior Member

If you mostly need to play dirty id suggest half to 1 watt. Maybe a blackstar 1 watt? They offer the blackstar in a 1 watt head i think.

nutsauce, winexprt and napsak like this.
  3. jcas367

jcas367 Senior Member

That sounds perfect, I'll check it out!

CHUNKYNECK likes this.
  4. napsak

napsak Banned

Now I'm speaking only for myself but Vox makes a great lil night train that only puts out 2 watts.Compact and powerful, the Lil' Night Train boasts vacuum tubes in both the preamp and power amp stages. The preamp uses two 12AX7 tubes, while the power-amp uses one 12AU7, providing that sense of drive, power, and fatness that's obtainable only from vacuum tubes.

Strato and CHUNKYNECK like this.
  5. jcas367

jcas367 Senior Member

I looked at that but since I'm upgrading from a Vox VT30 I'm afraid that I'd end up being unhappy with it as I am with my current amp. Although they might be completely different too...:hmm:

napsak likes this.
  6. CHUNKYNECK

CHUNKYNECK Senior Member

+1 on the little nt. I've heard is great but can get a little loud cranked. :thumb:

drpietrzak, SelLuap and napsak like this.
  7. napsak

napsak Banned

That's ok Sir. I know that they're pretty good little amplifiers and I like Vox. just throwing an idea your way.:)

8. Jody

Jody Senior Member

[​IMG]

:D

Louie and Guitar Freak like this.
  9. jcas367

jcas367 Senior Member

I'd love to be able to get something like that haha. A bunch of my friends have Marshall JCM2000's and they sound incredible but unfortunitely due to where I live it won't work. I definitely want something with that classic Marshall sound though :slash:

10. Luckynumber3

Luckynumber3 Senior Member

Darn that sucks then, because I was going to say that I played one at a local store through the night train 1x12 cab and it got pretty low. I mean, my blues junior is pretty loud and can vibrate the walls with the master barely turned to the "on" point, but the little night train can get pretty quiet without having to turn the master rediculously low. I'm not sure if the tone is my thing though- it is like a normal vox with the bright switch on and with it off (I forget the other mode), it is like some clear, crisp (disengages the eq I think), fairly high gain tone.

I would also take a look at the VHT special 6 ultra- I was able to crank the thing all the way up and with the boost on and the power scaling was able to keep the volume insanely low. I can't say how low it can get without sounding "held back," but it can roar and still be pretty quiet. I don't know if having only one tone knob is that good though, but I did only play with it for a few minutes, so it might work out just fine.

Also, I think the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister had built in attenuation- Id go check it out. I haven't played one but I definately want to try.:D

Overall, I am currently looking into bedroom amps also, and I may get a phaez Daisycutter (8 watts)- I don't know how quiet it can get but it is supposed to have an amazing master, so I'd check into that.

Strato likes this.
  11. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

The Blackstar HT-1R, as suggested above. Trust me, if you're looking for some gain (as you mentioned), you won't look back. The built-in 8'' speaker is certainly limiting, but for true apartment levels, that's all you need. If you feel like it in the future, you can always add an external 12'' cab. I intend to do so, but for the moment, I'm more than covered with what that little beast offers.

winexprt and captain tightpants like this.
  12. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

The HT1-R Head is hilariously compact. Sounds pretty darned good too and sits nicely atop the matching 4x8 cab ... "Honey, did you shrink my half-stack?"

13. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

There is a huge miss conception about the whole low wattage for bedroom play. i have a Mesa lonestar speial and play it a 30 watts setting from the 30/15/5 watts availeble, i have a good overdrive box thats put in front front of the amp and i just turn the master volume down to my desire level and i can play along a backing track from my imac speakers!

You realy dont need to push the power tubes to have a great tone out of a tube amp.

Now the key if to have a amp with a master volume.

14. Dino Velvet

Dino Velvet Senior Member

Another vote for the Blackstar HT1R Its well built, and loud enough for the house. I didn't like the tone control on mine, but otherwise it was great. Don't overlook larger wattages turned down, some will surprise you. I have played a Peavey XXX Super40 EFX in the house for years. Although at 40 watts it can easily wake the dead, I find it very crunchy and satisfying with the volume on one or two.

15. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

I think the best sounding 1 watt amp you'll find with a master is the Bumbox Lead 1.
    I have a Red Iron Lil Mo. It's awesome but there's no master.

16. jfwund

jfwund Senior Member

+1 :thumb:

I bought my Express 5:50 figuring I would primarily use the 5 watt setting at home. The 50w setting sounds better and the master volume works just fine to keep the volume low.

Any amp with a master volume will be just fine for bedroom playing. If you really want the cranked marshall stack sound, a 1w amp probably isn't going to replicate that, no matter how much you crank it.

nicolasrivera likes this.
  17. randelli

randelli Senior Member

This.....

[​IMG]

nicolasrivera likes this.
  18. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I have the Blackstar HT-5 and it works fine as a "bedroom" amp. Despite being 5W, the master volume allows me to get the tones I desire at a volume that doesn't upset the rest of the family. It also has a headphone jack for late night playing if you need it. Its tone is similar a Marshall, or so it is said. I just know I like it.

You didn't mention a budget, but since you were looking at the Class 5 I figured you are looking for something in that price range. There are a lot of other options if you can run that up a ways, but the HT-5 or HT-1 will come in close to the Class 5, at least in price. I wouldn't rule out the Vox Lil' Night Train - it might surprise you. I know the regular NT was a lot different than I thought it would be. Quite gainy actually, yet it still had decent cleans.

David

19. campbellj

campbellj Senior Member

The new style class 5 also has the low power switch on the back that cuts it to .1 watts, but it is still surprisingly loud at that level. If you definitely want a master volume though, the blackstars are great.

SLewis likes this.
  20. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

The Marshall Class 5 has a headphone mode, which makes it quieter so it would probably work well for you. Of course you do get a little more for your money in a HT-5R with 2 channels and the ISF as well as reverb. Or.. The HT-1R with ISF which is your only tone control on the amp, but reverb and an overdrive select.