Best straps for Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Alves57, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

When I got my Les Paul (one shipped in the first week of Epi LPs) I wanted a cool tooled leather strap for it. Looking around the music stores, nothing I even vaguely liked was under $50. No way was I going to spend that much. I went to several local thrift stores off and on for a week or so looking for a good piece of leather. I ended up with a long belt made in Chile that had a nice pattern pressed into it, leather wrapped buckle, and which was 1.5 inches wide. It cost $1.95.

I cut the belt roughly in half and punched holes for my strap buttons in the newly made ends. Then I bought a $4 piece of leather at the shoe repair shop and made a shoulder pad with cuts in either end to let the belt through.

The strap looked awesome with the paul and I made it myself. All for about $6.

[​IMG]

That was a sweet Les Paul. I wish I hadn't sold it.

2. pirate19

pirate19 Member

3. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I changed over to leather years back. The nylon straps cut into your back when they twist. Two inch maximum is livable. My 1969 Les Paul Custom was a bit over 10 pounds and that thing killed me.
    My Burny reminds me of it not just in looks but in weight. Rubber washers for locks are great, I use the ones from Fender. I can have any beer I want with no extra guilt. Take the size you need to a plumbers department and get them for .10 cents each.

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

5. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

I got exatly the Same. After some use, the leather gets smoother, good feeling. And I out Schaller Strap Locks on, that adds comfort when switching. Try it out :))

6. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

AS for straps: MSM's are great, leather imitation, large in the shoulder, that supports he LP weight, Form Ali, 25$ free house. Straplocks I bought at Alibaba Zoo, 5.50$ a pair, free shipping, I got Them for all my 3 guits, had never any issues.

7. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

Planet Waves
    4.2 out of 5 stars
    Planet Waves Classic Leather Guitar Strap
    From Amazon, $12.99...price may fluctuate slightly, choice of 3 colors.
    This strap is pretty much identical to the
    'Gibson' branded strap I received with the Les Paul Tribute this past May. Lightweight,
    Strong, and haven't had a dud yet.
    I'm sold.

I do have a couple of Vorson leather straps I bought from zZounds, however the thickness really makes it nearly impossible to install a Dunlop Strap-Lok without trimming the strap hole to paper thin.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  8. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

I kind of stumbled onto these : http://reunionblues.com/product/210/RBS-34

Merino Wool, very comfortable, well made with metal adjustments and leather ends. I have a few of them and got them all in the low $30 price range (not the MSRP $50). Cool to wear in the heat, pretty slip-free, and pretty non-descript. I like the brown, but they have Black and also pin-stripe, depending on the look you are going for. Not the fanciest, but very comfortable.

Unfortunately, I have 1 of my 4 dogs that thinks that wool is SUPER tasty, and she has chewed a couple of them. They still work, but have a couple of ragged spots. I'm going to miss that dog.