Best straps for Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Alves57, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Alves57

Alves57 Member

A few days ago, I got a good leather strap for a good price at a local music store, I used to use nylon straps, but the leather one just felt better to me, it's comfortable and really suits my guitar. So do you have a favorite one? Any brand recommendations for a future buy?

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

3. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

The best strap for a LP is the one that you find most comfortable, and equipped with good strap locks. The locks are very important on a LP because the location of the front bout button is angled slightly upward, causing the guitar's weight to often pull the strap off that button unless locked. And nothing good can come of that.

3 people like this.
  4. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

Yes, locks are a great addition.

Back in the day, when we were poor (OK, maybe our money was going somewhere else), we would use a dedicated strap. We could do that because we could only afford one guitar. We would pull the front button, put a washer on that fit so it was retained by the flare on the button, then the strap and screw it back in. Never dropped one this way.

kevinpaul and Dolebludger like this.
  5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I have been using Italia Leather Straps since before joining MLP. Only to find he is a vendor here and offers some nice sales promos. I also get direct emails and the sales prices are fantastic. I have four so far. Two 4" wide and two 2.5" wide. I love both sizes and will continue to buy more if I score more guitars!

I hope this helps!

Here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/ven...-48-hours-only-2-straps-67-free-shipping.html

kevinpaul, Alves57 and pnuggett like this.
  6. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

I have a couple of these high quality straps.

7. Alves57

Alves57 Member

Nice! Thanks for the recommendation.

8. Alves57

Alves57 Member

I was trying to find a proper washer to do this trick, that Grolsch beer is pretty hard to find in my country, so I'm looking for them in hardware stores, let's see if I manage to find one that fits haha

9. LPofBorg

LPofBorg Warranty Voider Premium Member

I use the Grolsch washers and they work great. You may be able to find them online through a home brewing site.

Fuelish and Alves57 like this.
  10. pomaranc

pomaranc Senior Member

That's the way I do it. My 57 goldtop came with epi strap locks but I don't trust them so I swapped the buttons and put them on my jr and special (only the top ones since there is no issue with bottom/back strap button, if you are careful) so I have one 2€ strap with straplocks for those and I use washer on my #1
    [​IMG]
    Also the camera on my phone doesn't like to focus very much :dunno:

3 people like this.
  11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

all my guitars are fitted with this straplocks..

[​IMG]

I've got a couple of leatherstraps from a local manufacturer (Richter)
    basicly this 7cm and 11cm wide and a few of the non padded 'croco' and 'western-rose' types
    [​IMG]

just got them on eBay-outlet-sale directly from the factory for less than 20€ a piece :D

Attached Files:

kevinpaul and Alves57 like this.
  12. Dolebludger

The washer system is fine, so long as your guitar is finished in poly (like almost all Epis) and not nitro lacquer (like Gibsons) If nitro, you want to remove the strap before casing the guitar. If the leather strap is in contact with the nitro, a chemical reaction will cause the finish to bubble at contact points.

kevinpaul, fumblefinger and paruwi like this.
  13. MyLeftyPaul

MyLeftyPaul The Islander Premium Member

Regardless of brand, as long as it's properly padded and 3.5 inches (about 9 cm wide) wide at minimum, you'll be fine. Don't forget the locks.

I once read here long time ago, somebody suggested bass guitar strap. Might be an overkill but if you have some back issues it just might be ideal, imho of course.

Still, :), I'm using Levy's for my LP's.

1 person likes this.
  14. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

A wide one

kevinpaul likes this.
  15. Dolebludger

I say +1 on wider straps. Most LPs are heavy, and a wider strap disperses the weight better on the shoulder. With a good, wide strap, I can't tell much difference between padded and unpadded.

I won't go into appearance, because that is a personal matter.

kevinpaul likes this.
  16. TLB

TLB Member

Where can I buy a Burst strap like the ones that came with the original 59 Led Paul Standards?

17. gball

gball Senior Member

For a Les Paul I prefer Perri's 3.5" padded leather. I actually like the way a nylon strap feels better, because I can move the guitar around easier, but the big leather strap eats up the weight better so that's what I like.

On the straplock question, I hate them and won't use them, especially with the new larger Gibson strap buttons. The only time I ever came close to complete tragedy was when I was using a straplock that failed (Schaller) and my Les Paul came within an inch of decapitation. I got rid of the straplocks immediately and never looked back, started doing the Grolsh method. That was over 30 years ago and I have never had an issue since because I am very careful to make sure the strap is seated properly.

kevinpaul likes this.
  18. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

kevinpaul likes this.
  19. Alves57

Alves57 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I almost made the mistake of buying a very thin leather strap once (because slash lol), now I'm playing with a nice wide one, much more comfortable. I'm considering the washers because of the strap locks prices at my country (more than 40 dollars for a Schaller, for example), so I'll give it a try and see how they'll do.

20. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Never wanted to replace the OEM strap button hardware on any of my LPs.

Once I found the comfortable satin black woven version of D'Addario's PlanetWave PlanetLock Straps, it's been all I use. It's more comfortable than the Polypropylene seatbelt like version. The only exception is on my Sheraton-II Pro, because its upper Strap button protrudes rearward from the back of the body and the PlanetLock strap needs to be twisted 180°.

1 person likes this.