Best Pedal For Solo Volume Boost?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by longjaw, Nov 30, 2008.

1. longjaw

longjaw Senior Member

Thanks for that info - mighty handy!

2. briggs

briggs Junior Member

I enjoy the older marshall bluebreaker pedals. They sound pretty sweet at lower gains. Volume pedals can be mighty useful for getting your volume just right to sit nicely in the mix.

I like the sound of Big John's rig. Lots of amps = lots of tone!

3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

I have been dealing in Xotic effects for a few years now, and the RC Booster is killer for a clean boost, the AC Booster is what I use. KILLER.

4. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Huh?

[​IMG]

5. Jackson50

Jackson50 Senior Member

Check out Freakshow effects #9 boost, or you could go for the Zvex super hard-on

6. Big John

Question for you guys that recommended boost/OD pedals...

If longjaw was playing through the dirty channel on his C30, and had some preamp tube grind going on, do you think a boost (or OD) pedal in front of the amp raise his overall volume?

7. siore

siore Senior Member

Subdecay liquid sunshine. :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZulY8zE7kM]YouTube - Subdecay Liquid Sunshine Overdrive Pedal[/ame]

8. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Member

This is the point! All the suggestions will only bring him much more distortion. Unless the GE-7 or whatever kind of booster isn't in the effects loop he will get no increase in volume.

9. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Wrong.

As I stated in my post just a few above yours, the Xotic Effects RC Booster is a CLEAN boost, not a distortion. You can heat up the signal a bit, but it's pretty much clean volume.

10. Big John

That's why I asked the question. I have never experimented with boosts in front of the amp for volume changes. If folks like Greg say it works, then it works. :thumb:

All you need is 3-6dB of volume change for a solo to stand out.

11. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Member

Maybe the Xotic works this way but not the Boss GE-7 and the other boosters mentioned in this thread.

12. Big John

I'll do some experimenting tonight after band practice. I've got a couple of different master volume amps set-up; VHT, Masters, Mesa. This boost-in-the-front thing has got me thinking. I've got a hunch of what I'll find out, but I'll keep my ears open and my eyes shut.

13. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

My experience of using clean boosts is that they behave differently in front of the preamp and in the post-preamp effects loop.

I used to use a GE-7 for boosts on my Marshall JMP after it was modified (JCM 800). The preamp gain setting was for moderate overdrive. I set the GE-7 to a suitable EQ with its volume flat out. Kicking this thing on gave a modest increase in volume, but it was a larger increase than I could get with either my Rat pedal or Marshall Guvnor (original one). It also increased the distortion level quite a lot, courtesy of the already-overdriving first valve in the preamp: the extra signal level was pushing it even harder . All good, in other words. It gave a useable boost in volume, a nice increase in distortion and excellent control of tone.

The effect was the same into the front end of my ancient Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 100 Watt amp (basically like a JMP with an effects loop and better bass response). Similar again on the front end of my Peavey Classic 50…through the dirty channel of course.

However, if the gain on the preamp was set too high, all it would produce was an increase in distortion, from fuzzy sludge to…well, just sludge. Used like this it was no better than either of the distortion pedals I mentioned above.

The lesson: if thou useth a gain device in front of a distorting valve preamp, thou must beware that thy preamp is not already set too high. If you do, all that the new device shalt do is compress everything, and thy line level shall avail ye not at all. Yay verily and shalt thy tone turn to shit.

Amen.

However, when used in the effects loop, the clean boost mainly just adds level (and whatever EQ shenanigans are built into it). When I used one like this in the effects loop of my Laney, it gave a massive boost in volume. In fact, I had to be very careful not to set the volume slider too high. There was NO compression at all. Bear this in mind. There was a very slight increase in distortion, as a result of the power section being pushed a little harder. This was great for pure volume boosts. I used the front end of the amp and my Les Paul to set the tone, and this thing provided very useable boosts. However, when my idiot singer wanted to do some heavier stuff, I had to plug the Rat pedal in front to get an increase in distortion.

14. dblacker

dblacker Member

+1 for RC Booster - very transparent sweet lead volume boost.

15. Big John

OK, for the amps that I tried this with last night (Mesa Express 5:25, Masters TVA-30, VHT SigX), when playing on a dirty channel that wasn't cranked I did experience a volume bump with a clean boost. With the slight volume bump came more grind, which is a good thing. However, there was a point of negative returns on the amp's gain knob. At this point on the knob, volume did not increase with the boost, just the distortion and compression did.

Was the volume bump enough for a solo to stand out? You bet, but only if the gain knob wasn't too high. Again, this is all just opinion. Your mileage mat vary.

Personally, I like to use as much gain that any dirty channel has to offer and then control the amount of distortion and gain with the guitar's volume knob; just my personal preferrence. This leaves no room for clean boost to act as a volume boost for the way that I like to run the amp. All it does is up the distortion. So in my case, the only option left for a solo boost (or rhythm cut) is the f/x loop. Of course playing live with a soundman, you can work out ahead of time some signals or gestures for him to bump you up in the mains for solos.

16. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Going slightly off topic here: BJ, you run the preamp distortion flat out and adjust down using your guitar vol? Isn't that noisy as hell?

17. Big John

The noise? When the drums and bass come in, I don't hear any noise...:D