Best Pedal For Solo Volume Boost?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by longjaw, Nov 30, 2008.

1. longjaw

longjaw Senior Member

Hey guys, looking for a pedal to boost my volume for solos on my Peavey Classic 30. My band play classic rock/blues a la ZZ Top - I'm thinking of getting a Marshall Guvnor 2. Anyone recommend them or any other reasonably priced pedal? Thanks

2. VictorLazarus

VictorLazarus Senior Member

Try a drive pedal or an overdrive pedal set really low distortion for a good clean boost. (if thats what your after)

MVL.

3. JLH

JLH Senior Member

4. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

5. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

Fulltone OCD works for me... Gibsonblues...

6. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

My take on the Guvnor: nah, don't do it. I don't like the sound of the Guvnor in either its original or new forms through any amp except an old Marshall.

Anyway, for boosts there's a better option. The Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer pedal. This or any similar graphic EQ will have 6 or 7 bands of EQ and (roll drums) a volume slider. The sheer boost from this will increase the saturation of your dirty channel, and give you a bigger volume boost than most distortion / overdrive pedals. It also gives you a lot more control over your tone: you can actually sculpt it the way you want it.

It also means that all of your distortion remains valve distortion. No nasty clipping diodes.:thumb:

7. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

That looks cool.:naughty:

And while we're on the subject of big +35 dB boosts, there's this:

New Page 2

[​IMG]

I have their Crunch Box, and it is superb. In fact, this thread has prompted me to go and try a Boost n Buff at a local shop. Hmmmm.:hmm:

8. briggs

briggs Junior Member

AMZ Mosfet booster. The Catalinbread pedal previously mentioned is based upon it. Great booster circuit!

9. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

clean boost? use a GE-7 keep the sliders neutral and just use the vol lever

10. longjaw

longjaw Senior Member

Thanks chaps - think I'll try the Boss GE-7 option. Gonna keep my eyes peeled on eBay and see if I can get one cheap there! Thanks again!

11. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Senior Member

+1 Fulltone OCD. From my experience even with Drive set to min (fully CCW), it provides rich harmonics. It may even be a little much, even set to min. You may wish to consider just a boost such as a Fulltone Fat Boost set to min.

12. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

+1 on the OCD set to minimal gain. It sounds so... perfect!

13. longjaw

longjaw Senior Member

D#mn! Don't know wether to try the OCD now! :)

14. soloben347

soloben347 Senior Member

i own the classic 30 head and speaking from exp id say either the OCD or my personal favourite a tubescreamer...both are good overdrives

15. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

Give in to the GAS attack!

16. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

I'm a little confused.

Are you talking about boosting the guitar signal at the input of the amp (which would more than likely increase preamp distortion and not the volume), or are we talking about increasing the volume of the amp without changing the tone of the preamp (by using the effects loop)?

17. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Whenever I gig, I always run the amp(s) one of two ways for volume changes. I either boost the signal in the f/x loop for solos, or I cut the same signal for rhythm parts. I usually end up boosting the majority of the time because I like the idea of making the power section work slightly harder. In the rare situation that the amp is already louder than piss, I'll go the rhythm cutting route. Also, I put the boost (or cut) at the end of the chain if I'm running effects in the loop.

For solo boosting, I try to use something with a broad & flat response that boosts all frequencies evenly. I've been using the discontinued DOD FX-10 Bi-Fet preamp pedal for years. They're cheap & plentiful, don't color the sound, and work everytime I step on it.

For rhythm cutting, there's a couple ways to do it. The easiest is to pick up an Ernie Ball 25K volume pedal. You want the 25K model because 99.99% of the f/x loops out there run at low impedance. If you gig with a couple of amps, get the stereo version of the pedal. The other way is to just build a volume cut box yourself, which is what I have (hiding in a box somewhere out in the garage). I made mine with two 25K pots for use with two amps, and also with a 3PDT switch so that I could use two status LEDs.

And if you haven't figured it out yet, you will need a couple more guitar cables if you're not currently using the loop.

Rock on. :dude:

18. madams17

madams17 Senior Member

19. lightningmonkey

lightningmonkey Senior Member

Durham Sex Drive

Keeley Time Machine Boost

20. longjaw

longjaw Senior Member

The Peavey Classic 30 doesn't have an effects loop so I'll be going through the input socket.