BEST ?? PAF clone ????

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by BOBBO, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Senior Member

I've read through like 4 pages and there has been some HIGHLY information stuff in this thread....BUT, wouldn't the type of wiring, pots, caps, and other components also make up the sound? wouldn't a PAF style pup sound completely different in a Traditional with 300K pots vs an LP with 50's wiring and 500K pots?

2. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Thankyou
    Of the modern gibson pups which would you consider the closest to the PAF - if any?

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Well they all are close, but between the BB's and the Classic 57's I would say the 57's have a more PAF sound.

But the ultimate comparison would be to really have a set of original PAF to do a true side by side in a controlled test.

4. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

This is a lucky time to be alive. A diverse group of winders are producing pickups for every taste and budget. The sponsors on this forum, in particular, are the best of the best. That is a given. But you still have to find a guitar that is worthy of a pickup upgrade. If that guitar does not sound better than good with a 490/498, Classic '57, Burstbucker 1, 2, or 3, or whatever stock pickup it came with, I would not bother with the upgrade. You don't go from mediocre/average/good to great with just a P/U change. Finding a guitar with 8/10 tone is the challenge. Once you acquire that guitar, the choice of the pickup will seem like a cakewalk. It will sound marvelous with any number of pickups, except DiMarzios, which sound artificial to my ears.

5. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

Gotta love them spammers. What are the chances someone's going to buy a coil winder like this? :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Secret revealed!!> Real PAFs were wound on Synthesis India coil winding machines!!

7. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

Honestly, my main LP has Dimarzio 36th in it now. I love them, especially for the money (or anything costing multiples of). For me they just do everything I want in an LP.
    They replaced a pair of Tom Holmes, which are going in a 335 as I think they will transform that more due to the dynamics the Holmes have.

8. rykus

rykus Senior Member

I agree, but as an owner of many PU's I will say they are good, real good.
    Stephens or Rolph or Throbak are as almost as good or better though out of the ones I've tried depending on the guitar and the desired sound.

9. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

believe me, OTPG pickups are DEAD ON replica pickups (there is nothing else that can come close on the market) :cool:

if you have one real PAF and one OTPG pickup in hand, you wont know what is what, looking at them or hearing them!!! that guy is simply amazing :shock:

1 person likes this.