BEST ?? PAF clone ????

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by BOBBO, Sep 11, 2007.

1. River

River Senior Member

That's a perfect segue into that Smithsonian episode "Electrified". That's the theme of the documentary.

2. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Senior Member

Have you ever tried recording the acoustic sound of your electric guitar (i.e. not plugged in) with a good mic? If not, you will find that it sounds very different than the sound the same guitar makes using its pickup. The mic is capturing the acoustic sound waves produced by the guitar's vibration. The pickup is capturing the interaction of metal strings with a magnetic field.

Here's a pretty good article on how a guitar pickup works. . . .

Atlantic Quality Design, Inc., How do guitar pickups work?

. . . and some selected highlights from it. . . .

The basic science behind pickup function is Faraday's Law of Induction. It states that a changing magnetic field causes an electric field to be set up in a nearby wire, causing a current to flow if the wire is part of a closed circuit (a loop of wire for example). ​
    Since Faraday's Law tells us we need a changing magnetic field to make an electric current, how does the magnetic field from the static permanent magnets change? That's where the string comes into play. ​
    See, the string is made of nickel and steel (iron+carbon), materials that are ferromagnetic. That is, a magnet attracts guitar strings. When this ferromagnetic metal vibrates in the magnetic field of the pickup, that disturbs the red field lines which also cross through the coil (not shown). That changing magnetic field makes a current flow that tracks the vibration of the string, and we have a working pickup! ​

Terry.

3. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

4. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

5. vortexx

vortexx Senior Member

My first guitar amp was a "Quadraphonic" Hi-Fi amp. Needless to say the main sound out of the guitar was feedback coming from all corners of the room.

6. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Then you succeeded!!

Looked like he was having a ******* blast!!

7. rykus

rykus Senior Member

wow, this was a very long and insightfull thread.... i love that it went from a guitarist asking for advise to a technical debate between pick up makers. very insightfull.... not only about pickups and their construction aspects but also about the makers and their main focuses on achiving tone.as well as their personalities and quirks...... and so far i'm inclined to buy stephans design and have it rewound by shed pu , just joking but? i own a couple PAF's aswell as a pre ttop with the white/black leads but a large magnet?? ,and ttop's and some seymore antiquities and well all are very different and enjoyable. i look forward very much to trying some different paf style pickups from the various creators on this board, we should all support their quest and be thankfull of thier stubborn and insistant drive that lets us all reap the benifits of their madness, er reaserch. as soon as i can make through a couple months without finding some vintage something i can't live without i want to get a ri les paul and try a couple sets out but so far i keep finding those "scores" and never quite getting the burst... ah well, and thanks again everyone for the great read, i have the utmost respect for all the passion and time all these winders seam to show and can't wait to see how the stack up for me! ps i think duane played a gold top 57 in those studio days and kept the pu's when he got his first burst... can't recall exactlly but... cheers doug

8. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

Whoah!
    Just finished reading through this thread. Took me 2 days lol. But was definitely worth it.
    Many thanks to all involved in it. I learnt a lot.

Noticed the OP and another are now(though I did know this before)banished? That in itself must be another story. :hmm:

Threads like this are worthy of sticky's IMO. :thumb:

9. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

hahah glad you liked it!

10. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

You mean BANNED or VANISHED...? :naughty:

11. 52trapeze

52trapeze Senior Member

This thread needs a little 2011 in it!

12. polifemo

polifemo Senior Member

Really? :cool:

Ok, Wizz pickups sound and look very authentic (as far as I can tell, but I´m NO expert!) and Mouse/Leslies pickups seem to have both a vintage tone as well as a vintage look. (Don´t know how "vintage correct" they are though)

13. Juan7fernandez

Juan7fernandez Senior Member

where can I learn more about these Mouse/Leslies pickups?

14. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

15. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Could it be .then,that if each PAF is different to the next could ,say,a Burst Bucker Pro for instance have the same sound as at least one of them.
    Sorry if this seems a stupidly naive question.

16. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

Goin by just what i have researched on the web(here and many other forums,sites) the OTPG are dead on clones?
    I dont own any but what i read really made me want to get a set fast!

17. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

You are right, it could be, but I personally would consider that a bad PAF.

18. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

That's what it's said, but I really doubt it, until I get a set and compare it to others I would say its more hype then anything, even the brain will play a sick joke on you, because of their rarity, it will make you believe you have the holy grail.

19. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Nico,

The wait makes them sound better. It's like when you haven't had any lovin' in a while!!

1 person likes this.
  20. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Nico,

The wait makes them sound better. It's like when you haven't had any lovin' in a while!!