BEST ?? PAF clone ????

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by BOBBO, Sep 11, 2007.

1. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

I'm thinking about putting a set of the Wolfetone Dr V's in my R8 .. What do you guys think is the best PAF clone out there today ?? I know DMC just started to make a real PAF clone as well as RS guitar , Skatterbrane , WCR , Lindy Fralin , :slash: etc ...

2. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

They're all great, none are best since tone is really subjective. There are many different PAF "flavors" out there, and the repros you mentioned hit em all. By the way, the WCR Darkbursts do it for me. I'm so pleased with them, I'm done searching for "my" sound, these guys really nail it.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I'd have to say my Legends from Wolfe.

I had a early set of Dr. Vintage, and although they sounded very nice, they were a bit bright for me.

I think the basic Greywolfe's also sound very PAF'ish...

just my opinion...

4. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

First off, PAFs vary so much it's almost laughable. There is no "PAF" tone, I have three PAFs sitting here that have virtually NOTHING in common except the construction. The pickups were wound rather haphazardly, some are hot and fat, others weak but articulate. I have owned a significant number of PAF equipped guitars, and work on them for others on a regular basis. The only thing that is consistent on PAF pickups is the inconsistency.

That being said, there seems to be a common perception of what a PAF SHOULD sound like....Mssrs Green, Clapton, Page, Walsh, Rossington, Montrose, Gibbons, Neilsen, Nugent(he had a couple of 58 Bursts on tour), etc have left us a sweet legacy of recorded music that show what a PAF guitar is capable of. I was present backstage at a show where two of the above handed a guitar back and forth, and the tone was quite different, even though nothing was changed on the guitar or amp. Lightly plucking a string gives a different response than whaling on it, and that was proven before our very eyes that night.

There are so many great winders, and most have spent a lot of time learning and perfecting their craft. My advice is to try pickups from each, if you can. When you hear what you hope to hear, you have your answer.

5. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

OK When i say PAF tone I mean that certain honk a PAF has and the pick attack .. I guess I'm looking for a clone to get me from Jimmy Page to Joe Walsh , Joe Perry , type tones !

6. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

What amp are you using? Do you play hard or soft?

7. overdriver

overdriver Banned

BCRGreg is right on the money with his first reply; I will add that all the players you talk of play and have recorded with other types of guitars other than old Les Pauls with stock pups, Page used a Tele with the Yard Birds and the first zepp album was all Tele I believe, stairway to heaven solo also Tele .TOO Many, I build the right Paf makers out there IMO. Want guitar are you using now. Pick ups are only one factor in the tone chain.

Pick your poison, pays your money ,take your chances.:fingersx:

8. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

An excellent question !! I play 50w Marshall JCM800 .. As for the hard & soft are you talking about types of music i play or my pick attack ?:wave:

9. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

When i was saying i was looking for Jimmy Page's tone .. I'm obviously talking about his live Les Paul tone not his studio tone !:cool2:

10. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Not to get anal ;but Page did play live with his tele he didn't use a LP much, I am sure he must have tried one or two untill he got one from J. Walsh .I saw Led Zepp twice , you would have loved it , the first time was when they promoted the first record , the second when they did the #2 record Lots of fans turned out, I think 350 people for the first , 500-600 at the second.

My point was and is ,any type of Paf designed pup will work , pick a maker you think is right the one that sells you the best Fairy tale and go for it.There are as many thoughts on who makes the best ,as there are guitar players LOL . Good luck IMO ;Gibsons classic57 or their Burstbucker things, Lindy Fralins 8kneck & 9k bridge or his unbuckers,or WBtuned Paf would be good choices if you want to spend that much money, If not GFS vintage 59s of Kent Armstrong pups would be the way to try.:fingersx:

The reason I asked what you have for a guitar now is , if you have a guitar with Gibsons in it now and they are not doing IT for you you could just have them rewound.

11. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Here's what I'm playin now .. My 05 R8 w/ burstbuckers ..

[​IMG] The burstbuckers are good pickups but i was just looking for something with a bit more PAF flavor !

12. overdriver

overdriver Banned

IMO you already have what your looking for, cant imagine anything else being any better:thumb: They are well built Paf pups built by the people that own the company that made the real things. Paf flavor is what BBs are all about. Maybe someone else's could work better maybe not.IMO A rewind from WB or others would be cheaper just a thought. I really feel those as is should do what ever you want them to.

13. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Do a search in YouTube for Wolfetone !! Listen to a set of DR V's and then tell me the BB's are as good ??

14. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Why not buy real PAF's? At those prices, you could probably get Jimmy Page's fingers thrown in for free.

15. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

I think that BCRGreg's first post is right on............he has owned many more PAFs than me (only 3 for me!),however we have probably heard about the same amount.
    Good gear only makes your heart and touch clearer---you take your basic signature with you regardless of the pencil or pen used.

16. overdriver

overdriver Banned

The only way that would make any sense to me would be if the player took the Dr V out put YOUR BBs in and played the same stuff, sorry you do not like your pups, sounds like you have decided on Wolftones so go for a set good luck hope you find what you are looking for

17. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

I do like the Burstbuckers !! I just thought I could get a little better Yaknow ! I guess it's just the never ending tone quest !!:naughty:

18. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Yes the quest; hey I would love it if my gear would sound the same each day I use it ,seems some days things could not sound any better the next day :wtf: Not that bad really , but some days things can sound way out of wack.
    IMO no two guitars are created equal sound wise, If your BBs are not working for ya, try something else, whatever you think will work for you. Not everyone likes whatever if you know what I mean. Sometimes for some people, just believing is enough to make things sound better LOL. And everyone that has found something that works for them will tell you there choice is the best. IMO the best is in your head and what is considered good stuff or what is considered crap can help to let it flow through your fingers depends on the person. Of course pup builders are going to tell you theirs are the way to go . they want you to buy!!!!!!!!!! Which is the best? ans. ALL OF THEM , NONE OF THEM:rofl:

That being said sometimes a change is for the better.

19. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

You hit alot of things dead on but see the real problem here is I just cant leave well enough alone !! I'm a cronic tinker'er ! My Burstbucker are stellar pup's .. but I'm always looking for something better ! I changed out all the plastic hardware on my R8 to DMC vintage correct stuff .. put in real repro Bumblebee's ... just cant stop fiddlin with it !!!!!

20. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

Well I have a old Bridge PAT No pup and it sounds amazing in my LP, but I recently I got some BKP PUPs made to my spec and they are very cool.

Can't wait to try out a set of WB Pickups!!