Best noise gate???????????

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by A string bounce, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

Angry, there was another poster on here that had good luck with the NS2 as well. I guess you have to find that sweet spot between quitness and your tone. Thats why I love the ISP, one dial, turn for taste...done.

Mr_Wormwood likes this.
  2. pickerrr

pickerrr Senior Member

ISP is better, it wont cut your sustain. G-String version has 2 sets of I/O, so you can use one just after your guitar, and the other use in the amp loop. But when you put it into the amp loop, beware the "grounding loop" in the amp, it will cause a 60hz hum.

A string bounce likes this.
  3. Snap26

Snap26 Senior Member

I approve this statement

Rhust likes this.
  4. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

I've got an MXR Smart Gate and I'm happy with it...got it for $60 used :D

Shai`tan likes this.
  5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Monsieur le vin,
    The Boss has a loop so that you keep it out of the chain with your effects.
    It's not easy to use given the translated instructions. :shock:
    I have my tuner and the gate on one side and the chain on the other. There is no possibility of "tone suck."

[​IMG]:thumb:

6. Mr_Wormwood

Mr_Wormwood Senior Member

I might have been that other poster. In another thread I mentioned the same thing as AngryHatter, that properly set up, at least with my rig, the NS2 did quite well. In fact, due to the rave reviews, I sold it, and bought an ISP Desimator from a member here for more money thinking I was upgrading and have regretted it ever since. With my equipment, the NS2 worked much much better than the ISP. With your rig, the ISP might work like a charm though. According to the raves about it, my set up is the exception.

pickerrr likes this.
  7. pickerrr

pickerrr Senior Member

Agree. IMO, ISP work better with high gain rig.

8. pickerrr

pickerrr Senior Member

I'm using a regular ISP (without G-string) after the ZW-44(Zakk Wylde OD), the OD is well known as a very noisy OD, but the ISP works great, even with the ZW-44 all dimed.
    BUT, all gates have a problem, if you have to switch the OD (or any pedal before a noise gate) on and off very often, you have to set the gate again after you turn on (or off) the OD, because the signal changed after you do that...Or you can just turn off the gate and the OD at the same time.

9. A string bounce

A string bounce Senior Member

Just scored an ISP 'not G string'... I've got a simple / minimal layout i.e boss tu2, Zakk OD. and an mxr analog chorus. Would the ISP be better placed at the end of chain or in between the OD and chorus???

10. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

I tried putting my ISP in the effects loop but it didn't seem to be as effective. I hear some say put the gate directly after the guitar then I hear others say at the end of the chain. I don't run any OD pedals, just a volume and wah. The Carbon Copy and Black Label Chorus are in the effects loop. Makes more sence to me to put in front of guitar, I think that's where most of my noise is coming from (P90s and single coils).

11. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I play a tele, can't get much more single coil than that.
    I also run OD and distortion.
    But I don't put the gate where others tell me, I put it where the instructions said it belongs. ;)
    :thumb:

Rhust likes this.
  12. A string bounce

Anyone????????? :hmm:

13. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

The end of the chain is what the manaul suggests. I have tried both and really don't see any difference in how it performs.

But I also don't run an distortion or OD pedals, I use my 2 Blackstar HT-60 channels for that via my footswitch.

A string bounce likes this.
  14. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

I don't put mine where anyone tells me either, just saying some say do it this way, others say do it that way. I like to try different things and see how it sounds to me. I don't really see any advantages to doing one over the other but that's just my experiance with my setup.

15. pickerrr

pickerrr Senior Member

Put it before the chorus, or delays,reverbs,etc. Just put it after your "Biggest Noise Maker". Otherwise the ISP will dig into your sustain.

16. A string bounce

That's what I thought? I must say Im loving the ISP' it's a no brainer really with no tone loss whatsoever.

17. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

That's great news! When you find that sweet spot, it works great. :dude:

18. pickerrr

pickerrr Senior Member

Yeah, it's very easy to dial in, just turn the knob all way down, then rise it up slowly until the noise is gone. Done~!:slash:

19. albatro55

albatro55 Junior Member

20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

I generally don't even use one, since I don't play much high gain, and I tend to just grab a few pedals at a time for a jam, rather than keeping an assembled board. But when I had a makeshift "board", I had the Boss NS-2 set up on there with the Send/Receive loop, and that worked. It would even cut out the 60-cycle hum from single coil pickups if you set it right.

Tried the MXR Noise Clamp and sold it. Maybe I was using it wrong, but it didn't seem to filter nearly as much noise out.