Best New ~$700 Small Tube Amp/Combo

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Axiomatik, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

Market is very saturated at this price point, with great offerings from every vendor such as...

Fender Bassbreaker
    Fender Blues Jr.
    Marshall DSL40
    Vox AC15
    Egnater Tweaker
    Blackstar Venue

What's your favorite and why? Feel free to include combos not mentioned on this list as long they cost around $700 new.

EDIT: I'm curious to know what YOUR favorite amp is and why. Feel free to include what types of genres you play. The idea of the thread is to be a resource for anybody looking to buy an amp in this price range, not just myself.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Almost impossible to answer without knowing what it will be used for, and how it will be used, in what use cases.

Sans that, it's just throwing out names, so here are some names

Peavey Valve King II (20 or 50)
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey 6505+
    Supro 1648T

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Not a high gain player and only use about 3 pedals so.....
    Vox AC15
    Egnater Tweaker/Rebel
    Blues JR
    VHT 12/20
    Peavey Classic

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Yes, largely dependent on intended use. How about an EHX Mig 50 for $575 new, with enough cash left over for a well-loved 2x12 cab on the used market?

5. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

For what kind of music ?
    A Peavey 6505 ain't much good for blues, neither is a Fender for melodic death metal...

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Of those listed so far, I've owned the DSL40C and the Classic 30. I'd be hard pressed to chose between those two, as I like different aspects about them both. Most likely, I'd take the Classic 30 though if my goal was gigging the DSL could win if the classic clean and crunch were the two channels. The Red channel was just to modern for me and its a damn heavy amp.

If I was shopping this range now, I'd narrow the field based on my intended use. For me, that means if gigging was not my primary goal, I'd go 20 watts or less and want to check out the stuff I hadn't owned.

Blackstar, Supro, Blues Jr., Bassbreaker, Egnater, Vox and Valveking would all be on my list to check out. I'd also check out the Princeton Reverb to see if it would be worth searching out a good used example.

I don't think any of these are bad amps, just different palette's to suit different players preferences so the only way to know what's best is to try them and see what best suits your individual preferences.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

May be I wasn't specific enough in the thread. What is the best amp to you? It's supposed to be more of a discussion then choosing a amp for a particular person.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

It depends on what you're doing with it. I recently picked up a Tweaker 15 head, used. I like what it does with what I play -- heavy rock, blues, and jazz.

cherrysunburst00 and cybermgk like this.
  9. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I like classic rock to harder rock tone so my DSL40 does that for me. Because I didn't know a ton about amps I didn't try that many out before getting it, but I have since tried the blackstar stuff and just don't like their gain sound as much as the Marshall.
    The only thing that I like almost as much is the Orange gain tone, so I think the Rocker 30 or Rocker 15 combo are great choices.

10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

For $700, Id be shopping for an old silverface Fender of some sort.

11. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Well in that case, I'd go Marshall DSL 40 or Peavey 6505+.
    If I had to buy a combo that is, I'm not a big fan of the combo format, to put it mildly.

12. afranke

afranke Senior Member

older usa made peavey classic 30.
    great for classic rock/blues. available all over reverb and ebay.
    great clean and dirt channel,can be easily upgraded with speaker and tubes if you want.
    nice sounding effects loop and quite a small overall package.

Sournote likes this.
  13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yep still depends on what it's for, as thump says.

If I HAD to pick just one from the above OP list, it likely would be the Tweaker, followed by the right kind of BLues Jr. Or the Peavey VK II I mentioned. I like a lot of different tones, and at several different volume uses. So, I'd go for the best pedal platforms.

That said, that is why I went high end modeler/profiler, so I could have one amp with all the ground I like to cover at different vol levels.

14. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I like the idea of this thread.

I only play old school hard/heavy rock, and I never play clean, so a 1 channel amp is all that I need. At this price point, for me, the best would be an Orange OR15 head, but that is only a head, and I would need a cab. Unless I could find a blemished (OR15) at Sweetwater ;) (hint, hint) and then a cheap 112 cab to hold me over.
    • Why? because it has a terrific master volume and can get really nice old school hard/heavy rock at db levels <90, which is perfect for me who only plays at home.
    • Additionally, the OR15 can easily be a hang on to amp, and once I had a little more ca$h money, I'd flip the cheap 112 and get the Orange PPC112.
    I really want to try the Orange Rocker 15 which has attenuation built in. That is an absolute must for me--attenuation or fantastic master volume, and the Rocker certainly fits the bill.

If we could open up the field to used as well, there are some others I would put in.
    • At the top of the used list at this price point would absolutely be the Marshall SL5. Even though it has 2 channels (and I never use the clean), I find it to be an absolutely amazing amp.
    • Also an Orange Tiny Terror combo
    • Laney Lionheart L5T

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Classicplayer likes this.
  15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Traynor YCV40 or YCV50.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  16. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

a "used" Mesa Express 5:25+
    really tough to beat the tone, feature set, and quality

New - I would go AC15. I got rid of mine when I got the AC10, but miss it a lot....

17. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

IMO, it would be a mistake to buy anything before you play a PV Classic 30.

Some great amps suggested here though.

18. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I would do a Marshall DSL40C with those listed above. It is very versatile and you will probably find yourself mostly using the crunch option on the first channel which is definitely the strongest aspect of the DSL40C. I think it has the best crunch channel out of any amp I have ever played, which is quite a few amps over the years. The Orange and Red for Channel two have a wide range from hard core rock to death metal for sure. The clean channel is nice and takes pedals very well, especially at lower volumes. I would use my Digitech RP500 with some great amp setups as well as effects on the clean channel at lower volumes and it sounded amazing.

19. gball

gball Senior Member

Came here to say basically this - buy the maximum amount of Mesa amp you can for the given amount of money you have and you won't be sorry.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  20. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

How does the DSL crunch compare to something like Bassbreaker 15?