Best mud-free neck pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 50WPLEXI, Nov 20, 2015.

1. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

If you like the Dr. Vintage, you need to try Wolfe's Legends.

Sublime. The absolute best Wolfe has to offer. Legends are my preferred pups.

Brutus and Mr. Satchmo like this.
  2. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

Sounds like a strange thing to say. For example Sheptone uses A5 for most of his models, and I never experienced a muddy Sheptone neck bucker..

1 person likes this.
  3. Otto tune

Otto tune Senior Member

I have a set of sig. JB's in my LP. They are so different, switching from the bridge to the neck requires major re-tweaking. They definitely jump out at you.

4. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

Since I already bought the marshallheads (I was saying that would be my next set and then I got them the next day) My next guitar will definitely get those legends!

5. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Yep, i have the antiquity jazz in one of my guitars and it is divine
    So much character and piano quality tones

6. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

+ 1 with my main band.

brianbzed likes this.
  7. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

I don't know the Jazz but I my band often requires cristal cleans from my Paul's ... that I can get out of the SD Full Shred and SD59s (see signature)... but I do find myself maxing the amp's treble pot on the Classic 30 and Hot Rod, not on the DSL or the Champ.

8. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Duncan SH-2 is the cleanest pup I've played so far in the neck position.
    You can try coil-splitting the neck pup as well.
    Also height adjustment can make a huge difference, try adjusting the polepieces as well.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

Al Dimeola had this issue with his Customs. I was in a shop in NJ when he was trying various pickups. He finally decided on Dimarzio Super Distortions in BOTH postions on his Les Pauls and it cured the issue. This was in 78 or so. I`m not sure if he still uses them, or Customs for that matter.

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I wonder if anyone makes a single coil mounted off set on a humbucker baseplate with a cover, so it looks like an hb? :hmm:

11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

The Stag Mag is really 2 singles on a humbucker baseplate. The series wiring is thick, but split, it *is* a single coil (rods are staggered magnets), so there's that.

mdubya likes this.
  12. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I see nobody has mentioned a low value capacitor in series yet. IMO, that's the best way to tighten up the neck PU's tone. It especially improves the overdriven tone of the neck, and you can wire the cap with push pull pot, so that you can bypass the cap if you decide you don't want it in circuit.

13. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

Yep, there's many ways to "demud" neck PU's...

Series caps are a clever trick, cheap, simple and efficient, although some capacitive values might add a "Ricky vibe" to the sound (it's in Rickenbacker's that I've seen for the first time stock 4.7n caps in series with the pickups and it contributed largely to their specific sound, IMHO)...

Wiring the PU in parallel works too, albeit it obviously makes it weaker...

Personally, I like to solder a dual (humbucking) high inductance dummy coil in series with a resistor, then to wire the whole in parallel with the PU: it lowers its inductance without altering too much its DCR nor the overall volume/response and tightens the tone accordingly.

That said, I've here a vintage LP Custom in maintenance and its neck T-Top doesn't sound muddy.

This Custom has a light aluminium tailpiece, BTW. Changing the stop bar costs less than mounting a new pickup and might help to cure muddy tones with neck PU's on a LP...

FWIW. YMMV. I wish you all a nice day full of music.

14. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

come on ... A5 is NOT per se muddy sounding. it is all the system winding, material, magnet and setup etc.
    my sheptone tribute is A5 but very open and the SD sh-2 is A5 and the jazz neck known as very clear indeed.
    the Classic 57 I dont like so much a bit too thick ... I will check a SD59N with A5 ( maybe A3)
    soon...

15. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

50's wiring and maybe a Seth Lover or Antiquity. I like a .015 uf cap to help it along.

16. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

I do love the Wolfetone Legends I have in my R8. However a set of ECP Hallowed Ground's would be a sweet choice. Unbelievably Good!!

jcsk8 likes this.
  17. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

Well for me at least...Skatterbranes ended the search for me. Great neck...articulate, never muddy, and the bridge pup is just perfect. Both pups are very musical, lots of harmonics. Great set.

2016-05-22%2012.57.13_zpsgdrsftwg.jpg

framos likes this.
  18. Eric R

Eric R Member

Dimarzio From hell indead, and let's not forget the Dimarzio Bluesbucker. Highly reccomendable!

19. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

+1! I like to set up the overall tone with the neck pickup. That way, your contrasting bridge pickup will melt their ears!

20. Starman

Starman Senior Member

If you don't mind the continual Sweet Child O' Mine flashback's it offers, the Duncan APH-2N Slash Alnico II is absolutely wonderful, clear, articulate and sweet sounding.