Best mud-free neck pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 50WPLEXI, Nov 20, 2015.

1. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

I have 57 Classics in mine. I got back and forth with it, largely based on what I've been playing. If I've been playing the Les Paul or PRS DGT a lot, it sounds fine.

Then I play the Strat on the neck, and the Les Paul on the neck sounds like it has a blanket over the amp.

It prefers cleaner amps too. It sounds WAY better on the AC30 or Deluxe Reverb than my Marshall. It still sounds good with the Marshall, but there is a sparkle to it through a cooking amp set for clean with a little hair to the tone that is just magical.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

It has been my experience that Gibson guitars need better electronics. I have been disappointed in the quality of the wiring and electronics used in these guitars and I noticed that when I replaced the harness with good quality CTS pots, and PIO caps (mine are vintage bumblebees), my tone lost all the mud and there was so much articulation and clarity. Maybe doing this will help. It's also helpful to note that the stock pots are 300k and the new ones were 500 which helps a lot with brightness in my opinion

1 person likes this.
  3. David Garner

I agree. But mine already has 500k CTS pots, Emerson PIO caps, and 50s wiring.

It definitely helps.

gvon and Mr. Satchmo like this.
  4. Mr. Satchmo

Oh wow, in that case maybe you should check out some wolfetones :naughty:

5. David Garner

:hmm:

They actually sound fine unless I play the Strat first. It's a perception thing.

3 people like this.
  6. ant_riv

ant_riv Senior Member

Lots of good ideas/recommendations here.

To answer the OP question, I have found Lollar Imperials to be a very clear, bright sounding neck pup.

However, if you have tried all of the setting recommendations in this thread and are still having an issue, I'd recommend getting in touch with one of the great pup winders who participate on this forum.

Specifically, I'd recommend Zhangliqun (no affiliation). He has already shown a willingness to help by getting involved in this thread. I expect after a short conversation, he will be able to help you solve your issue or work with you until you do.

Best wishes to you for resolving this! I agree that a well set up neck pup is a beautiful sound.

7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I played a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads in a Les Paul replica (the Marshallhead neck may be a Legend, not sure). I found them to be great pickups; sweet and clear without being too much of anything. Neutral.

Funny thing is, the replica owner didn't like them, wasn't impressed, and he replaced them.

While they didn't knock my socks off, I did like them perfectly fine and didn't find them lacking in any way. :dunno:

One of his other guitars is a Norlin era LP Deluxe, bridge routed for a humbucker (Duncan 1978 Custom Shop) with the stock mini in the neck. I LOVE that stock mini. I love the Duncan 1978, too. It is a funky guitar with bags of character. It is probably not for everyone, or every situation, but its funkiness speaks to me. Lots of Cream and VH and AC/DC tones in that guitar. :D

1 person likes this.
  8. EL-34

EL-34 Senior Member

agreed. an a5 neck pickup is less muddy than an a2 neck pickup.

this pickup is a popular neck pickup. perhaps partly due to the a5 magnet.

1 person likes this.
  9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

That just simply can't be said, across the board.

Even in the very same pickup (which is also a huge variable), magnets of the same type do not all sound the same.

Some A2s are very bright and thin. Some are dark and warm with little treble. Some A5s are dark and woofy, while others are brittle and focused in that "zildjian hi-hat" frequency range. There is a very wide range.

The voicing of any given AlNiCo magnet is not limited to the type and size of the magnet. It also has to do with the charge of the magnet. Further, it can vary with the individual batch. Each batch, even from the same foundry, can sound different. There are several heating/cooling and field induction variables that absolutely DO change the resulting sound of a magnet in a pickup, even when the AlNiCo blend is uniform. When you get into the very crude procedure of casting AlNiCo magnets, especially in old world industrial settings, human decision making and timing becomes a very real and noticeable variable.

Saying "A2 magnets sound like xxxxxx" is like saying "PAFs sound like xxxxxx." The conversation really has to be specific to the individual example at hand.

Hope I don't sound douchy - just trying to keep the facts straight for readers learning.

5 people like this.
  10. Otto tune

Otto tune Senior Member

I was thinking of getting some SD Seth Lovers. What do you think? Save me $200 if they're not worth it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mr. Satchmo

I agree, wolfetone pickups are fantastic options, the dr vintage neck is the best neck I've heard

jcsk8 likes this.
  12. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Getting some 'Wolfetone' Dr. Vintage, Zhangbuckers and David Allen's are all pretty high on my 'todo' list (along with Bill Lawrence, TV Jones and Amalfitano)... there are just so many winders, and so few guitars... :naughty:

jcsk8 and Mr. Satchmo like this.
  13. Mr. Satchmo

I think my next set will be a set of Marshallhead MII or a set with marshallhead bridge and then the dr vintage neck.

in a moment of weakness last night, I decided that I hate the 490/498 in my studio and that I had to have a set of marshallheads, so I bought a set haha:naughty:

14. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Good move... 490/498s absolutely suck... :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  15. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

I am a Super 70's guy. The neck PU's sound big, bold and clear. Distorted or not.
    I also have an unpotted BB in the neck of my R9 and it is nice and articulate but not as 3D as the Super 70's.
    As usual, YMMV.

16. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I've never owned a set, but I was playing an artist last month that I think had a set in it... it sounded real sweet...

1 person likes this.
  17. Zentar

Zentar Senior Member

I have a Strat HSS with Pearly Gates in the bridge. I' have not had a complete set in a LP but the PG in the bridge is the best humbucker sound I have heard myself. I think you'll go gaga over the Pearly Gates.
    The SD JB pickup is a tone filled humbucker also. Duncan just seems to make nice sounding PUs. their single coil PUs are toney too.

18. Mr. Satchmo

Yes they do, I have endured them for 7 years and never really cared for them

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Satchmo

Another underrated option that I have is the CreamTone A3 deluxe pickups, I just got a set and they seem to have of clarity in all the demos I have listened to, I just got my set in after they were custom made for me by Lonnie from CreamTone. Give them a listen on YouTube or on their site!

20. Johnhe

Johnhe Junior Member

Good question. I have Classic 57's & CTS pots in my Epi Dot and the neck is mud city. I already eq the amp for the neck pickup and roll the tone off the bride pickup, but it still sounds nowhere near the open airy tone I am looking for.

On the other hand, the bridge 57 sounds heavenly.