Best mud-free neck pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 50WPLEXI, Nov 20, 2015.

1. 50WPLEXI

50WPLEXI Senior Member

So since the neck humbucker seems to be the achilles heel of a Les Paul type guitar. Which humbuckers have you used to cure this ill?

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

50, almost any modern PAF style will sound perfectly fine if at the
    Most basic level, if most just lower the pickup some and raise the poles to your liking.

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

4. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I liked the new custombuckers for this. PAF style pickups should be lower output and more clear but some winders still manage to make them muddy. I like alnico III in neck but that is my preference.

5. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Tyson TTL-2 neck
    Suhr Thornbucker neck

There are others that I have tried and achieved that, but I didn't like their tone.

6. 50WPLEXI

50WPLEXI Senior Member

I agree up to a point. My guitar (I've seen others) is super picky when it comes to the neck pup for some reason. Wrong mag/just a little too hot and it's mud city.

No amount of tweaking will make it go away. But then you have the guitars that can just take anything. I have a A3/PAF type in my guitar now and it's perfect.

Just wondering what you all thought/have used.

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

If the guitar itself is not a complete dud, any well-wound p'up should be able to be set-up to sound mud-free.

Having said that, there are two grades of alnico that time and time again come to the rescue in case of a pesky muddy neck: A3 and A4, depending on the desired basic tone-footprint.

I don't have the science to back this up; I'm just stating the facts of over fifteen years of guitar-teching.

HTH,

8. theycallmetex

theycallmetex Senior Member

ReWind Low Output

9. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Almost any A5 neck bucker will bring the mud.

10. Quill

Quill Senior Member

I have never in decades of playing and with all kinds of different humbuckers ever had trouble getting a good sound out of any humbucker in the neck position, regardless of wind or magnet. Yes, it's possible that for certain specific applications one pickup might be better than another. But. I like to choose amps and speakers and any gadgetry that work on the bright side, or adjust the set-up so it works that way, and then roll back whatever seems too bright with the tone controls on the guitar or on an overdrive pedal or an eq or whatever works. If one habitually sets up the amp using the bridge pickup on the guitar as the reference point - which usually offers a narrower and sometimes brighter range of sounds to work with in the first place - it can be hard to get good sounds in performance with any other pickup. This applies to any guitar with multiple pickups, not just humbuckers.

I mean ... this is something I figured out as a kid the first time I ever sat by myself in a music store somewhere and picked away a little on an electric guitar plugged into an amp, within about five minutes of flipping switches and turning knobs ... but it's a more complicated world now, with lots of distractions ... it takes longer to figure stuff out, these days. :cool:

11. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

So far I've tried a Shed (6.9k), a Leslie (7k?) and a stock Gibson pu reading 7k (490?) but I think any decent low wound pu (with offset coils) does the trick...

1 person likes this.
  12. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

Even les paul admitted the neck position was kind of muddy ... So you're not wrong ...

If you're playing music with higher gain , you might be into the humbucker from hell, super 2 or d-activator neck .... The super 2 will completely clean up all the notes especially the higher notes on the low e string... That thing is super super clear. But it may not be for everyone ...

1 person likes this.
  13. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I've got an OLD set of K10s (mid-late 1970s - Super 2 before the name change) and those things are seriously clear, probably the clearest I have ever played in a pickup that still sounds fully like a humbucker. A different cup of tea indeed from a PAF type pickup (high headroom, low resistance, ceramic magnet, hotter than a PAF but with a lot of the low end shaved off), but absolutely worth investigating.

14. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

T-Tops are great for neck position, especially late 60s/early 70s ones. They are very clear, dynamic and articulate sounding pickups.

1 person likes this.
  15. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Humbucker size P-90 (Brand of your choice).

1 person likes this.
  16. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Nope

4 people like this.
  17. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Peter Florance Voodoo '59 or Wolfetone Dr. Vintage.

jcsk8, Mr. Satchmo and 50WPLEXI like this.
  18. Zenatty1

Zenatty1 Premium Member

The best neck hum bucker made IMHO (I like Bare Knuckle, Suhr, Dimarzio as a general rule)... is.... the Dimarzion "Humbucker From Hell"... very clear, very articulate, and very responsive ...and it will save you some $...

1 person likes this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

P-90 or Mini-humbucker.

But I love 57 Classics in the neck, too. No muddy problems for mdubya.

Maybe it is a too much gain problem?

I tend to lower the neck pickup to balance with the bridge, volume wise. I don't like one to be louder than the other and I tend to play fat lead tones on the neck, so I don't mind if it sounds a bit wool-y with OD.

Best cure for a muddy neck pickup? Flip the selector switch to the bridge pickup. Mud gone. :)

2 people like this.
  20. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

DiMarzio H from H or EJ?

1 person likes this.