Best MIJ LP under $1200.00

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by scott 351 wins, Sep 25, 2017.

1. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

That means it was made in the 48th week of 2012. Maybe the workers wanted to make those impending Christmas gifts that little bit more special? This is well after 2009 when they made the 'pure material' models that featured flamed maple caps.

RE the pickguard: Fair enough. The only feature I'm a fan of on modern LPs was when they introduced that 'clip-on' pickguard. Is that still a feature on current USA models?

EDIT: Do you know the 5th number? It just occurred to me that they'd produce a lot of guitars in a week, so the day would be important too... Just in case anyone spots a 2012 Edwards e-lp-125als for sale with a similar serial. It'd be an interesting experiment.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

It had to have been some kind of mistake. I cant imagine anyone purposely making a run with solid tops unless it was a disgruntled employeed wasting materials on his way out the door,lol. Whatever the reason is Ill take it though. As for the clip on pickguard? You know I'm not sure. My last real LP I bought was in 2000. Back then they didn't even drill the body. They just tossed the pickguard in the case but it didn't clip on or anything.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  3. bluesriffdev

Haha. The woodworking and finishing is done in China. Only the hardware, electronics and setup is done in Japan. You'd have to be a pretty ballsy employee to do that in China, I reckon.

jimmyjames likes this.
  4. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

The thing is that rumor has never been substantiated. And the person who actually started that rumor came back a few years later and professed that the whole Chinese Edwards thing was only for a year and the quality dropped enough that they were not going to continue doing so. And even then no one actually had any proof. Even the supposed emails from officials at ESP were never vetted as being authentic and no names attached to those emails identifying anyone with any position of authority. They were just copy and paste emails that could honestly been made by anyone. It was also rumored that it was only lower end Edwards that that had happened with that shared body and woodwork similar to the grassroots guitars. Not like I really care. Most people don't realize just how often that happens. The 1990's BC rich handmades actually had their bodies and woodwork done in Mexico. Supposed NJ kramers were actually Godin made. For me its the end result that matters.

bluesriffdev and lemmy loud like this.
  5. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

Getting here late . . .
    My Edwards 130 Custom is nitro.
    I love it. IT was the only way I was going to get a black n gold Custom I could afford.
    It was 1100 from FinestMusic on eBay. Cannot say enough good stuff about him.
    Constant updates, pics every step of the way.

6. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

This^
    ESP have the best CNC stuff in the industry right now, in my opinion. With thier factories capabilities, I cannot
    see why they would bother with the logistics of China shipping and all of the issues that go along with that on
    this price point of guitar. I first heard the Edwards/China thing on this page, so just out of curiosity, I hit other MiJ
    pages and stuff like that to see what the general consensus was, and after that, my own opinion is, Edwards/China is,
    it is not true.
    Maybe Im wrong, who knows . . .

7. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

OK but one just ended this morn for 89k ($790USD) well so after fees and shipping well within reason of 1200USD.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    villager likes this.
  8. Udonitron

I have seen another 130 Edwards with a solid top on here years ago.
    They musta made mistakes or just didn't have veneers and did those solid toppers.
    Either way, gotta love that!

9. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

Yeah it was actually pretty weird. I was looking at getting a gibson. I just couldnt find anything close enough to the standard i had once upon a time. After many recommendations to get an edwards my only hang up was the maple veneer.

I decided the hell with it im gonna get one and live with the veneer thing. I was just praying to get a two piece top so that later on i could remove the veneer and just have a nice plain top. One day browsing ebay for the perfect als i saw this one and something about the color and the woodgrain just seemed different.

I was really in disbelief when i pulled the pickups. And i wasnt convinced until i literally couldnt find a single thing hinting to it being a veneer. It wasnt until i cleaned the pickup routes better and was able to see the growth rings wrap from the top into the cavities. It was then that I was convinced. The best thing is i actually like the sound and feel better than my old LP.

But that was a weird les paul. It was a standard but supposedly a custom run for sam ash with special woods, pickups and color. This edwards only needs some zebra coils and it would be a dead ringer. I traded it for a usa handmade bc rich signed by bernie sr. But yeah, i saw the solid top on he edwards and made a commitment to keep it no matter what. Sure it will never be a gibson but its still special.

bluesriffdev and Udonitron like this.
  10. Udonitron

Gibson....meh

nigelthebald likes this.
  11. JDB

JDB Senior Member

GammyBird likes this.
  12. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty Senior Member

GammyBird and bluesriffdev like this.
  13. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

You know I feel the same way. At least half of me does. Every time I pick up my Edwards and play it I trust my ears and fingers when coming to the conclusion that my guitar is just as good if not better than the majority of standard production gibsons. But then I look at the headstock and the lack of Gibson logo reminds me I have a LPLO (les paul like object). I don't really have a les paul. And I will always for some reason want the original even if I know in my heart of hearts its just a name. All I do is remind myself that a Gibson made today has about just as much in common with older les pauls as my Edwards does. So who cares what name got put on the headstock. Its probably more faithful to a 50's LP than most modern Gibbies.

Udonitron and bluesriffdev like this.
  14. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Spend big money on a Standard and someday down the road wonder what the fuck you were thinking when you go back to some of your MIJ Les Pauls and realize how good they are.

15. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

One of my last gigs I had guys wondering what guitar I was playing: Looked like a Gibson, sounds great but it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock. Ahhhhh, hmmmm....WTF is a Bacchus? :D

16. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

only reason the Tokais are so cheap at the moment is because of CITES. Its scared half the buyers away.

Wolf ^_^ likes this.
  17. bluesriffdev

I agree. I think the only thing that will steer me towards a Custom Shop Gibson over a luthier-made copy will be the logo sadly... Once I'm willing to spend that much on a guitar that is. It's weird how you can despise marketing and brand loyalty but then have a deep attachment somewhere in your heart to something so small such as the headstock logo. The USA line sucks and it certainly has for over a decade; I think they realised they had to make a bigger differential between the USA and Custom Shop line to justify the higher prices.

18. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

Many luthiers will do the G logo no problem ;)

As long as there is some kind of other mark on the guitar (either on the back of the headstock or in the pup cavity) noting that it is a copy, so as not to be passed off as a counterfeit. Although most high quality luthier made LPs sell for more than Gibsons anyway and there is no attempt to hide the fact its a copy, these guitars often hold greater prestige.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  19. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

IMG_1650.PNG Bought a minty 1980 Tokai LS60 for $725 shipped

Plenty of deals out there

Tcb37, Udonitron, GammyBird and 2 others like this.