Best MIJ LP under $1200.00

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by scott 351 wins, Sep 25, 2017.

1. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

She'll get over it again.

scott 351 wins likes this.
  2. Dr Cornelius

Dr Cornelius Junior Member

Thanks for the info chap, wasn't aware of that . Just put the Edwards down from a pre work run through of some Bros. Landreth stuff and I remembered I wanted to thank you for the info :)

bluesriffdev likes this.
  3. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

So after some asking around on this forum I've decided to resist the urge to spend the money that I have set aside in the last few months on the Duke guitar and keep building on that and get a nicer Deviser made guitar.

I work in the Agricultural industry (I live in the corn belt, Illinois USA ) and overtime is plentiful for the next couple months.

I wasn't aware of the Japanese classifieds (Digimart, Rinkya, etc) and I am seeing some super nice guitars there. EBay has been my main guitar searching place, not anymore.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  4. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Selling prices on fleabay can be a bit ridiculous with some MIJ guitars.

scott 351 wins and bluesriffdev like this.
  5. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

I'd only use them as a last resort, i.e. the store won't ship because of CITES or they don't have an English speaking staff member. In any case, you can always set up an account one of those 'drop shipping' or whatever places like Tenso, and you'd still be better off.

GammyBird likes this.
  6. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

I wasn't so lucky with my LS80.

7. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

There's an 80 for sale now which is sitting at 51K with 1.5 days left on the auction.

It's an '81, is that one of the good corky years?

jimmyjames likes this.
  8. Thomas/Sweden

Thomas/Sweden Senior Member

'79 is Corkiest but '81 would be Corky enough.

9. villager

villager Senior Member

ls 80 goldtop no case just finished at 122000 yen.. add shipping, fees and import duty and its around 1600USD ...

10. scott 351 wins

What do you guys mean by "Corky"?

T00DEEPBLUE likes this.
  11. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

As in wine elitists "cork-sniffing", the "corky" axe is bestowed with the attributes of its "holy grail" predecessors, and therefore, the MOJO [​IMG]

GammyBird, scott 351 wins and free713 like this.
  12. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

I have an als too. I got lucky and somehow ended up with a solid flame top. It was like Christmas when I pulled the pickups and saw the flame in the pickup cavity as well as that exposed area in the cutaway where you can see the maple peaking underneath. The veneers on the Edwards ALS series are nice regardless. I would say you made an excellent choice for the money.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  13. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Can we see some more pictures of your guitar? I'm surprised to see a solid flame top on yours when the Navigators use pretty mild flame on the LPs. The tops certainly are maple, but with veneers on the top. Love to see some pickup cavity shots if you can manage them.

14. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

Sure. When you look up close there is no line where a veneer has been glued on. It is usually very obvious where the veneer ends and the plain maple starts. And close inspection shows that the flame you see on the top transitions into the pickup cavitys with no mismatch. You can also see in the cutaway of this guitar that the maple is flamed all the way through as there is an bit of exposed top in that area and the figure can be seen there too. Another thing is just how the figure of the wood shifts under light. I have never had a veneer that actually had that super deep 3d movement to the wood. It really behaves like a lacquer flame top with no grain enhancement would look like. Most veneers have a very flat appearance. What you cant see in the pictures very well are the growth ring lines in the maple which also line up perfectly with the lines of the maple in the pickup cavities. I was also surprised to see a one piece back. Ignore the green circles. Those were to show all the voids in the lacquer finish that it had when it arrived to me. Its a very light and lively guitar. Slightly thinner neck than other the other Edwards I just traded off.

P1050193.JPG P1050192.JPG P1050184.JPG

P1050191.JPG

P1050193.JPG P1050192.JPG

P1050190.JPG P1050186.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  15. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

I agree, they're fantastic. Looking at the photos though... That top is extremely well matched. Maybe you got lucky and got one of the Pure Material ones... Surely not though, unless there was a mix-up, cause they're priced significantly higher. 1 Piece backs are standard on the high end ALS models, but a real flamed maple top... wow. It is worth noting that those 3D qualities you speak of are also prevalent on mine, but I've seen veneers behave that way before; maybe I should take my pickups out at the next string change. Could I ask what the first 4 numbers of the serial are? Quite peculiar and it could mean that surrounding guitars made in that week were also made with flame maple tops.

They're amazing guitars, not just for the money, but amazing guitars full stop. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if it weren't for the fact I'm not made of money and I'd like to try some other MIJ brands. But how can you keep the pickguard on such a beautiful flamed top?

16. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

Yeah veneers can also bring the 3Ds, my Greco's does

bluesriffdev likes this.
  17. scott 351 wins

I'm assuming anything under a LS 80 wouldn't be so "Corky" I own a 79 Reborn LS 50.

18. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

LS80 features FEB and Nitro (I think 1pc backs and necks but I'm not sure... I know early 79 ones had 2 piece necks). Does anyone else think that the Tokai paintjobs they had back then were spot on? I'm not a huge fan of plain tops but the paintjobs they had (tobaccoburst, old sunburst and honeyburst) were stunning. Was drooling over villager's collection (http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/page 6 Tokai.html) earlier and it amazed me how well they made the plaintops look.

Oh and the hardcases. The beautiful brown paisley with the pink lining... Much better than Gibson's take on the old Lifton cases. I think a Tokai will be my next purchase... Eventually...

19. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

I honestly dont know what happened in this case. Its a 2012 production year. ED1248 is the first half of the serial. The only thing I could think of is someone grabbed the wrong body blank. As for the pickguard i just dont like looking at holes after removing it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    bluesriffdev likes this.
  20. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

I wasn't saying they cant. But I usually can spot a veneer just by how the figure behaves under light. There is a difference no matter how good the veneer is.