Best MIJ LP under $1200.00

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by scott 351 wins, Sep 25, 2017.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I'm fairly new to the MIJ LP guitars so I do not know all the makes and models that are out there.

I'm trying g to decide on my next MIJ LP. I have an interest in the Bacchus Duke guitar series and i have been speaking with a owner who has one for sale. I've read quite a lot on this series of guitars. I like the fact they are a 1 piece back and neck and no poly finish.

My question is what other makes and models are comparable to the Bacchus Duke that can be had for under $1200.00 new and used? I am using $1200.00 as my budget cap. By the way i own a 79 Tokai LS50 which i love but looking for a non poly finished guitar for next buy.

2. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

Can't think of a MIJ guitar that sells for under $1200 that doesn't have poly. I would go for the Duke. I have a handmade Bacchus SG and it's one of my favorite guitars. The build quality and tone is crazy good. Although I did swap pickups and electronics. Hated the pickups and swapped electronics just for mojo(have a Creamtone Black Beauty Harness).

You might be able to find a Edwards LTS, but even those have a poly base coat. It is super thin though. I had 2 and wasn't a fan of the tones. Build quality was spectacular though.

scott 351 wins likes this.
  3. scott 351 wins

I am leaning towards the Duke, just like to hear others opinions. Thanks

4. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

Can very easily get a used MIJ for that money with all nitro finish. I just bought myself an Edwards E-LP-130ALS (all lacquer finish) with hardcase for $1000-odd AUD shipped to Australia, including paypal fees. I'll be putting up a review of it some time this week if you're interested scott, but I absolutely love it - and it only arrived a couple hours ago.

Only things that aren't 'historically accurate' as far as I can discern is the 1 screw truss rod cover, no nibs on the binding, and veneer instead of actual flame (still maple underneath) - all things that don't impact tone whatsoever. And it comes with SH-55 pickups, CTS caps, Switchcraft switch and Gotoh Hardware. I'll probably be getting another one.

Tokais are obviously fantastic, but they cost quite a fair bit. If I had a budget of about $1500 - $2500 USD I could find an amazing Tokai. The problem for me is that buying items over $1000 AUD result in crazy customs taxes in Australia, so Edwards fit the bill for me perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Mockbel and scott 351 wins like this.
  5. scott 351 wins

I'll be watching for your review, thanks for your input.

6. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Epiphone JDM Les Paul Standard LQ. Acrylic Lacquer and the fit and finish of a Gibson Custom Shop LP, if not better, (you know how much pride those Japanese guys put into their work)

bridge500t likes this.
  7. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

For under $1200?

Bacchus Classic - similar to the Duke but a more traditional les paul shape.

Olds442, nigelthebald and GammyBird like this.
  8. Dr Cornelius

Dr Cornelius Junior Member

Another vote for Edwards here. I picked up the Jimmy Page model a few weeks back and love it. I think they must be chambered as it feels light - maybe because of this it doesn't quite have the low end ooompf of other LPs I've had but it's so playabale and it stays in tune like no other.

lemmy loud likes this.
  9. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

I have a beautiful Black Tokai LS122 (LP Standard) I will let you have for well under $1200. And I challenge you stop find a better playing, sounding, looking LP for that kind of coin.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  10. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Member

They're not chambered. They use a type of mahogany from the Philippines which is naturally lighter.

OP: Regardless of what you get, I insist that you shop from Digimart. It does require a bit of digging to get the store details sometimes, and sometimes enquiries don't get an answer back because they don't have an English-speaking staff member, but the prices are almost always the best. I found my Edwards on there from Hirano Gakki Rockin (http://en.rockin.co.jp/shop/), and the staff member Shinya Nakane helped me out so much. Packed the guitar like a champ too. Google translate add-on in Google Chrome is your friend.

Dr Cornelius likes this.
  11. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Uh, an LS80

scott 351 wins and TheWilly17 like this.
  12. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

You should be able to snag an ObG reissue for under $1200

TheWilly17 likes this.
  13. scott 351 wins

Why is it when you think you might be able to get a new addition to your guitar collection the Ole Lady gets wind of your plans!! I guess 50+ pairs of shoes purses etc...... is ok but another guitar lol
    Now I have to find that thread on how to sneak a guitar past her and re read it. Lpl

GammyBird and bluesriffdev like this.
  14. scott 351 wins

Ok, so I should ask why should I not buy a used Bacchus duke that is for sale under $1200?
    I know everyone has their opinion on what make model etc... and i know the variables on being in the right place at the right time or a seller is in need of money sells a guitar for way under it's value. I kind of have my mind set on the Duke

15. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Then buy it, they are a good guitar.

scott 351 wins likes this.
  16. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Senior Member

Getting harder to find under $1200... although I haven't shopped Yahoo Japan in quite a while.

AbbeSauniere and GammyBird like this.
  17. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Buy that motherfuaker :h5:

18. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

my '88 Orville by Gibson was $1200 + 65 shipping..... killer guitar. But if your're set on a Duke then go for it :thumb:

19. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

Its easy to sneak guitars past the mrs. Done it all the time. If you keep them in cases and rotate them in and out most mrs can't keep track.

The biggest problem is when you move house! :rofl:

We moved last year and there was nowhere to hide! All the guitars, cases and boxes were finally visible to be counted! :laugh2:

Have to say my wife is good in that regard. She's never busted my balls over guitars because she has a ton of bags & shoes etc. She gets more annoyed at the space the guitars take up rather than their cost.

20. scott 351 wins

Lol I tried to point the fact out that she has many pairs of shoes purses perfumes etc.... and a bunch of that stuff I've paid for over the last few years. I'll have to bribe her some how.
    I'm most likely going to sell 2 of my lesser guitars off to make room for a better made guitar. Agile AL 2000 and a Epiphone 58 V will probably be going on Ebay sometime soon. She might be able to justify me buying another one if 2 go down the road. But every guitar I've bought it was in the Dog House for me til she got over it. Lol

bluesriffdev likes this.