Best LPs ~$2000

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by gokuangus, Dec 7, 2017.

1. gokuangus

gokuangus Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a used Les Paul in the $2000 range but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best years, models, etc. Too much contradictory information out there essentially. I know it can be a very subjective topic but was wondering if anyone could recommend a handful of models I should look at within this range. I prefer burst finishes over solid colors but love black guitars with gold hardware.

I know I'm not giving you guys a ton of info to work with but any general advice is appreciated. I'm driving myself crazy looking through the site for info!

Thank you all!

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

There are no "best years". Problem solved.

Now go find one that looks and feels good. How it sounds probably matters also, but lets face it... how it looks and feels seems to be more important around here.

As proof of that, you'll find 5,000 pictures of a Les Paul on this site, for every soundclip or video played and posted by a member.

If I were in your shoes, I would run this query every four hours:

http://www.mylespaul.com/search/member?user_id=6883&content=thread

In my years here, I've never seen better guitars/prices in any store, or any other online resource. @guitaraddict is a great seller, with a well-deserved reputation here.

In the last few months, you could have had these, for your $2000 (usually with hundreds left over):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And... since you mentioned black and gold..... you could have snagged this, too (sick, isn't it?):
    upload_2017-12-7_14-14-23.png

3. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

+1 on shopping the classifieds here. Great deals and even better sellers. Should be able to do very well for $2000 or less.

cherrysunburst00 and gokuangus like this.
  4. gokuangus

gokuangus Senior Member

Thank you for the input Who. Really appreciate it! I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there's anything in particular that I should be keeping an eye out for. By best years I mean years where construction was top notch, etc. It seems Gibson has been having some QC issues recently....trying to avoid other years where that might have been the case, etc.

Best bang for the buck in that range is perhaps the better question? I don't have too much extra time to go and try guitars out unfortunately so just want to see what I should focus on, if anything.

5. gokuangus

gokuangus Senior Member

Didn't see the pics before the second post. They're all beautiful! Definitely keeping an eye on the classifieds section.

That last one is killer...

6. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

There is a huge variety of neck profiles. Start there.

cherrysunburst00 and gokuangus like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Senior Member

There are plenty of great LPs from all years...and a few dogs from all years too.

If you're talking about which years to stay away from completely, for me it would only be the 2015 LPs....fat neck and stupid Les Paul sig. on the headstock!

8. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Look for a used G0. If you keep your eyes open, you can get them for not much more than $2K.

9. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I sold this Prehistoric to a fellow forum member for two grand:

20150611_222412.jpg

There are some stellar deals on here, no doubt.

10. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Yeah, G0's and R7's pop up around that range if you keep an eye out. Hell, post a WTB and see what comes your way. Some serious deals in our classifieds. If you like big necks go R7, if you like slim necks G0's (R0's).

There's a multitude of other really great options at that price, but you asked for my recommendation ; )

...and no joke about the note on @guitaraddict above, he has the best deals on top rate stuff. I don't ask questions when it comes to his stuff...

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Still no 'good years' even narrowing down to any one aspect. QC has been 'suspect' for a long time, and is no worse now than the last 10 years or so - but it depends on how OCD you are. The worst horror stories are usually by people who think guitars should be cookie cutter items.......but even if you went back to the 50's you'd most likely find the guitars of now light years better in terms of consistency of construction.
    More $$ gives you more bling. Studio level guitars look 'bland' by comparison, but is essence are constructed the same way as anything further up the line.
    The only selection comes with reissues. Past that the wood is not sorted in any way. So you have as much chance of an excellent guitar or crappy one with any LP in the line. Then you have the personal stuff like neck shape and colour. Anything else is easily swapped for tonechasing.

cherrysunburst00, Who and NJDevil like this.
  12. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

I'm a big proponent of play before you buy. Play as many as you can until you find the one that feels right. You might find one for far less than that, or more than $2k but wort the cost. Your ears and fingers will tell you more than model names, years, or specs ever could.

cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  13. apfelbaum

apfelbaum Senior Member

For 2K, you can pretty much buy what you dream of when it comes to a lester, it's important to remember it is what YOU want. Buy from reputable sources that will allow exchanges or refunds, and go for it. The options and sounds on these guitars is immense. Don't sell yourself short, get the dream boat right off the bat~!

Macronaut, cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

Check all of the online options: Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, AMS.

The 2017 Classic T is a great deal and only a month ago many of the sites had deals on '16, and '17 models. I'm not crazy about the color but this one is a great player:

https://www.americanmusical.com/Ite...&utm_content=coupon&utm_campaign=Lower Funnel

Look at all those sites as there are nice 0% interest financing options too.

cherrysunburst00, Who and endial like this.
  15. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

My advice is do what I did. I bought a 2010 Traditional plus top (flametop) last year. Got a great deal. Then I upgraded the pickups, wiring harness, pots, caps, nut, hardware and plastics. I now have 2,000 into the guitar. But it's everything I wanted but could not find.

16. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Such STELLAR replies here. The only thing I can add is some info on weight relief (if that matters to you)
    [​IMG]

NJDevil, alnico59 and Tomsmenace like this.
  17. gokuangus

gokuangus Senior Member

Hi everyone!

Really appreciate all of your input. You guys are awesome. I actually found a good deal on a mint condition 2009 LP Traditional Pro online and jumped on it! Got it on reverb but the shop has a solid return policy just in case...

Will post pics when it arrives but it's a plain top heritage sunburst (looks a little faded by the pics but LOVING it) :thumb:

Aesthetically, it looks amazing so fingers crossed it plays as well as it looks.

NJDevil and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  18. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

I'm impatient but was hoping to see if it came in yet.....We want pics!!!:photos: