Best long shaft 500k pots ?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by switch1, Jun 5, 2017.

1. switch1

switch1 Member

My favorite pots by far are the Gibson Historic pots, they have an amazing sound and sound really clear and spanky with the volume rolled off.

Unfortunately my Les Paul Standard cannot take these, they are short shaft :(

Which one from the current production long shaft 500k pots is your favorite?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Pots have only 2 key aspects.....value and taper. Match those and you can buy any brand you like.

One thing pots themselves don't really do is keep pickups spanky as you roll down. Thats more a function of the wiring scheme and the pickup itself.

yamariv likes this.
  3. switch1

switch1 Member

Thank you for your reply. In my experience value (metered with a multimeter) and taper does not show the whole truth. A/B'ng some pots on my ES-335 and Les Paul's, (all between 495 and 505, same taper) I can definitely hear tonal differences, it's not only the wiring scheme and pickups.

You are right about the word "spank", what I tried to express in words is that thin single-coilish sound (when you roll down volume) that is not weak. Anyone that tried an old Les Paul or ES335 can understand that tone.

Do you have any personal favorites?

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Go to some of the vendors. I have used James from Rewind to get pots where I can specify K ratings or taper.

cooljuk likes this.
  5. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Switch 1,

CTS are going to be your only option (I believe Gibson pots are made by them).

The 'best' version of the CTS Long Shaft pots seem to be the 550K as a matched set +/- 2% of which James at Rewind, Bill at ECP or Jonesy Blue can I'm sure sort you out.

6. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I'd throw torque into that mix too. I personally can't stand stiff pots. My vote goes to Dimarzio.

7. viking20

viking20 Senior Member

If you prefer certain long shaft pots , no problem to install these in a short pot guitar. Most pots comes with extra nuts , no problem to adjust the height in a thinner bodied guitar.

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

The turning torque of a pot can often be adjusted by changing or removing the lube inside. This is definitely the case with current CTS pots, and they even offer different torque specs when ordering in bulk direct.