Best guitar lessons ??????

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by mikedstk, May 1, 2011.

1. PaleRider

PaleRider Junior Member

I like Jamplay myself. Multiple instructors that can teach you any discipline you're interested in. Learn at your own pace and high quality video. Check it out. There's something for everyone on there.

2. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuKn93kHHGM]12 Week Guitar Course Beginner Week 1 Lesson 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_xPxJRWdA]12 Week Guitar Course Intermediate Week 1 Lesson 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwV3GpM--xE]12 Week Guitar Course Advanced Week 1 Lesson 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I used this gentleman.

3. Ratmick

Ratmick Senior Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYPBVDZ8_Bs"]Life On The Road | Learn Guitar With David Brent - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  4. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Senior Member

I signed up for JamPlay myself. So much content, with new stuff added all the time. While yes it is still videos, there is way more content than you can get with DVD's and multiple instructors to choose from, in case you find one boring or not your style. Also they have live web cam sessions, and you can even use your web cam to have an instructor critique you.

5. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

Yep, I would say this one by Gibson would be a good one to start with. Something you also need to know is some theory. Find some stuff on that too.
    I have Guitarjamz, Griff Hamlin and a few others. Those guys are good for Blues.

Just one thing... don't try to learn too much too fast. Learn the basics first.

6. notjoeaverage

notjoeaverage Senior Member

If I was to teach someone who had never played before I would use justinguitar.com as the major part of the curriculum. It's well laid out and in what I would consider a logical order.

I would use it as the foundation and poach from others that interest me.

Others give beginner lessons for songs and have bits and pieces here and there. Justin has a complete course from how to hold your guitar to playing blues, jazz and transcribing.

Has Learn and Master changed their format it was standard notation and no tab when it first came out, so if you're interested in learning to read music that's the way to go, but if you just want to learn to play guitar try justinguitar.com.

7. Progbusters

Progbusters Member

I had an instructor teach me music on classical piano and recorder as well as chorus and band sax at school.

For guitar though, i decided to abandon theory and learn on my own and play by ear. haha. Probably not the best method. I would think learning one-on-one with an instructor is the best.

8. joba

joba Premium Member

9. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

10. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

I found Danny Gill's 5 minute guitar lessons from Lick Library to be great for beginning. And they often have a buy one, get one free offer, like every couple of months often.

1 person likes this.
  11. deMelo

deMelo Banned

Very good thread for the beginners! Help is always much appreciated

12. PRH

PRH Senior Member

I think that, ultimately, your going to have to experiment with various different options and find out what works for you. I don't know what that will be, and neither do you, but you've had many different options put forth for you already. Marty Schwartz and Justin Sandercoe both have a reputation for being very good online teachers and I think you'll learn a lot from both of them. You'll also pick up other things from books, other things from short youtube videos and still other things just from jamming with other musicians. Remember, it's called playing guitar, not working guitar. So enjoy it, have fun and learn what you can where you can. You'll eventually gravitate to whatever method (internet lessons, in-person lessons, books, etc.) works the best for you, and that's the great thing about learning guitar today. Why limit yourself to just one method when there are so many different ways to learn these days?

13. Alty

Alty Senior Member

This is how my 12yr old daughter is learning atm (Since April), she has several Chord books, some better than others as one of them is wrong (Printing error?)...lol and uses online Tabs to learn/practice songs, she doesn't like using YT videos.

It's good to have so many resources available though to suit anyones learning curve/style and think she has picked what suits her and it seems to be working, she can tune by ear and play several Ed Sheeran songs that her and her sisters can all sing along to which adds fun and makes it more interesting and encourages her to play more, which is everyday and still finding her way around the Guitar and her own sound/style.

1 person likes this.
  14. LessPol

LessPol Senior Member

All my "guitar friends" are in a band together, and they sound great and are pretty darn talented musicians, and they (both guitarists and bassist) told me Rocksmith is a really good tool, while still being a "fun video game".

I am def looking at picking up Rocksmith, as it seems it would keep my attention easier than a book or a misinterpreted tab online, I think.

1 person likes this.
  15. lesple

lesple Senior Member

Rocksmith is a good complement to tutorials and/or lessons IMO.

Just to clarify, I have RS2014 and it's a really good and fun game but it's still just a game when it really comes down to it.

2 people like this.
  16. Bobbyk1978

Bobbyk1978 Senior Member

This really needs a sticky

17. Parasite68

Parasite68 Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel and wasted hard earned money on books and videos that bored me to tears. I, like others who have already posted, highly recommend Marty Schwartz at guitarjams.com. He's got a ton of free videos on YouTube. Type in something like Marty Schwartz easy songs and he will pop up.

Not only is he teaching you step by step major chords right off the bat , but you are literally playing riffs and songs immediately. He's a ton of fun, keeps you motivated and if you sign up at his website, he will send you a free ebook of essential chords and info. He also offers dvd's that he sells, but about twice a year or so he offers a "coaching club" program and basically you get every dvd he's ever made plus new ones sent to your door for free. It all costs about 400 bucks for that package and I bit on it 2 years ago and have not looked back since! I started out with about 45 DVDs to start and I now have about 65 total! Try his stuff on YouTube for free and you won't be disappointed. I even find myself going back to the free stuff a lot! What's cool about YouTube and even his videos, if you don't get it the first time, you can rewind and try again without having to worry about an instructor giving you grief! Plus, in my case, I started playing guitar 2 years ago using his videos. I'm 45 now and have been playing in bands thanks to Marty's style! Before now last time I played was 1977!

I play a lot if KiSS, iron maiden, Ted nugent, Shinedown, classic rock.
    Cool thing is, he teaches all genres. Jazz, metal, country, and he has excellent blues lessons!

Hope this helps and welcome to the wonderfully fulfilling hobby of guitar playing!
    Major thing is to find someone that you "click" with and you feel instant gratification and motivation to want to learn more! For me, Marty Schwartz does all of that!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Brian

1 person likes this.
  18. houston

houston Senior Member

Games can be an excellent way for people to learn. Especially for something where repetition is fundamental, like a musical instrument. How many beginners have the discipline to work on scales and finger exercises even for 10-15 mins, let alone 30-60? But make a game out of it, then suddenly it's fun rather than tedious drudge work.

One problem I have with RS is that they don't (that I'd noticed) seem to spend any time on things like basic posture and hand positioning. For ex, one of my kids who's a 3rd year violin student, didn't know how to use a strap properly, how to hold a pick, or how to position the left hand (putting your hand completely square to the neck isn't done on a violin neck, since they're so small). Even just a few photos (like I'm sure Mel Bay had) could go a long way, since they otherwise seem to present themselves as being an option for the complete novice.

19. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

If you ever get anything from Marty about his Guitar Coaching Club buy it. $2,000 worth of his lessons for under $400. 60 plus DVDs and Lifetime membership to his site too. I have it and it's a good thing to have for that kinda money.

20. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

Check out Arlen Roth on Gibson's web site. That's the best set of lessons on the internet, IMO...