Best guitar lessons ??????

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by mikedstk, May 1, 2011.

1. jsg12

jsg12 Junior Member

justinguitar.com.

Awesome site for guitarists of all levels (especially beginners)

93LPStudio, Evil Mopars, PRH and 4 others like this.
  2. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Justin is great, download any or all of his lessons off youtube and then when you feel like he has helped paypal him a donation. everyone wins!

93LPStudio, kristof_w and jsg12 like this.
  3. polarbare21

polarbare21 Member

I say both. Find someone to give you some lessons, AND pick a song you like then look for lessons on the Youtube. I also recommend Vanderbilly.com (free but they do take donations) excellent source for help. Plus they take requests for songs to make lessons of.
    Good luck and ENJOY!

4. MorganPeline

MorganPeline Senior Member

5. ajrod17

ajrod17 Junior Member

:slash: This site provides great reviews of the best online guitar lessons. There is a table all the different features and prices, which is very helpful.

6. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Disclaimer on the above site, and just about any guitar lesson 'review' site I've come across:

7. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

This is the best DVD series and group of teachers I have found next to Marty Schwartz and Justin Sandercoe. This series is amazing. And if you look hard enough you can find where to download them. Good to buy them too to support the Teachers...:hmm: :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatWeOvJ7HM]Lick Library Trailer - www.licklibrary.com - YouTube[/ame]

8. tragewombat

tragewombat Senior Member

I'm on a diet of Justin and Rocksmith (the game)

1 person likes this.
  9. bjones1972

bjones1972 Senior Member

One of the best things I ever did as far as getting familiar with my guitar was wearing it around the house constantly. More hands on the strings time = less ball scratching time.:D

1 person likes this.
  10. Barcham

The Learn and Master series is also excellent and very complete. There's also a lot of very useful videos on Gibson's Skills House web site which is affiliated with L&M.

Skills House

11. paulgibson

paulgibson Senior Member

I'm a self-taught guitarist and been playing for over 40 years. There's always more to learn the more I learn.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

12. SwisherSweets

SwisherSweets Senior Member

Learn and master guitar with steve krenz, you can get it off a torrent site.

2 people like this.
  13. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

Check out TrueFire - Online Guitar Instruction & Lessons

They have more lessons there than you could do in 3 lifetimes. On more than one instrument. In many styles. Yes, it is a tuition site, but I can say it has helped me over the last 3 years. The ONLY drawback is that you can't access the videos on an iPad or iPhone because of the Flash player issues.

I'd also affirm the Justin Sandercoe site. Drop him a donation via PayPal if you can.

14. Barcham

The set goes on special often enough and it's worth spending the money for it. I picked it up last year for $69.95. Considering what we spend on guitars, I'm sure we can all spare a few bucks instead of ripping it off on Torrent. They also have a great forum on their site along with access to instructors so that you can discuss any problems you might be having.

The same thing goes for any other site with lessons on the net. Many of them are free and if people who find them useful would send a few bucks their way via a donation, I think it's a small price to pay for the help they provide.

4 people like this.
  15. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

Spoilt for choice these days. I did the old school method with books, starting on bass and moving to guitar. Trying to learn songs from tapes and rewinding over and over again to hear different bits. It got my ear in and gave my fingers a work out trying to copy Steve Harris on bass. Best part is when you play something and someone goes "wow!" then they get inspired and start to play. :)

16. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

I definitely agree with this choice. The instruction on the DVD's is very detailed and will teach you proper technique from day one.

17. Grunties

Grunties Senior Member

I guess it depends what you want; I think some people want to learn to play because they like a certain type of music, or want to emulate a particular player. I can't say whether any of the suggestions so far will fit in with your reasons for wanting to play; I can only tell you of my own, thus far limited, experience.

One of the reasons I decided to use Justin's site is because his philosophy rang true with me; I want to learn how to play a guitar, that is to say, no particular genre of music. The idea is that one day I'll get to a point whereby I can turn my hand to something that really floats my boat, musically, having learnt the basics & building upon them, (I self-taught my IT career this way).

I started learning with Justin's site about 7 weeks ago. The last time I played a musical instrument of any sort was at primary school when I was 9; I'm 49 now & in the last 7 weeks have learned 3 basic chords & how to move between them reasonably quickly. OK, so I'm not the fastest learner, but when you realise you might actually be able to do this thing, it spurs you on. I do recommend keeping a schedule of when you practice & what you get up to because it shows your progress when you start to lose heart, (which will happen, as brick walls are encountered with any learning regime).

I think I'd go with lessons if I got good & became really serious, but there's so much good stuff on the 'Net that helps, I feel that lessons are money better spent on kit.

Time will tell; if I end up hating it after 6 months, maybe I was wrong :)

2 people like this.
  18. ajrod17

ajrod17 Junior Member

Learn and master has an awesome guitar lesson course. DVD courses are great, but your are limited to 20 lessons. I found a great list of the best online guitar lessons on this website. I read a review about the Guitar Tricks Program and Jamplay, which have some pretty cool features. I recently bought Jamplay and I was very impressed with their guitar videos and love you can request a song to learn that isnt listed on their website.

19. Barcham

That's the second time in this thread that you post a link to that site. Would it happen to be yours by any chance?

As I mentioned in reply to your first post, those 'review' sites are basically advertising sites for the lessons they claim to 'review'. They are just another form of pay per click advertising.

2 people like this.
  20. RockyMtnGuitars

RockyMtnGuitars Member

Yet another vote for Justin's site. I have been using it for a few months after dropping traditional lessons and have really moved forward. I bought a pack of materials from him to use in addition to the free site (I like to have paper-based materials around) and I've progressed really well - my wife comments on it regularly. It's easy to use, reasonably entertaining and flexible (I'm trying to learn a couple songs so I bounce to exactly the lesson I need for a particular chord, etc). I like how organized his lesson plans are and that he gives you guidance as to when to move on. Great site.

2 people like this.