Best guitar lessons ??????

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by mikedstk, May 1, 2011.

1. mikedstk

mikedstk Junior Member

im a newbie.. Been lookin online for guitar lessons for beginners. Most of them seem to suck.. Can anyone recomend some quality lessons online...
    thanks.....

epi les paul standard plus top honeyburst.............:thumb:

I'll try and post some pics soon... damn she's sweeet....

2. mikedstk

mikedstk Junior Member

or would u say getting lessons from someone personally would be better?

3. skipper58

skipper58 Senior Member

try guitarjamz.com Marty Schwartz is an excellent teacher. Good luck in your quest to jam bro.

4. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

Another option is the old school approach, go to a local music store and get a book on guitar chords and start learning your major open chords first, then learn the major, 7th and minor bar chords. Pick up a TAB songbook of your favorite band it will have the chords to each song and start playing along with a CD. Learning from a teacher is a good thing, but also learning to develop your own music ear is a must IMO. A teacher can teach you all the notes, scales, chords, theory, but you have to develop your ear yourself and find your own feel for the music.

93LPStudio, Tazz3, Colquhoun and 6 others like this.
  5. RavenMadd

RavenMadd Senior Member

I agree with the above....also what kinda music are you playing ? ...if its hard rock /metal ...good beginner dvd's are a series called Metal Method by Doug Marks .......and remember ...spend at least a couple of hrs a day until you get a section of a lesson or song down ...till you move on .....the better you get ...the more time you spend with it .....sometimes you gotta say frigg the social time :)

Tazz3 and Colinm478 like this.
  6. mikedstk

mikedstk Junior Member

Thanks for the info..... I think maybe lessons at home on dvd or online may be better for me. Being able to replay and go over something over and over til i get it down i think will be key.. I d probably forget half of what an instructor said by the time i got in the car ... maybe ill do that after i learn some at home.. so i have some knowledge

7. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe#g/u
    This guy has a lot of great lesson and is a really good teacher. he has lessons for every level of player.

8. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

+1 Justin is great something for everyone!!!

for SRV / Blues go here:

Blues Guitar Lessons - StevieSnacks Blues Guitar Lessons

9. nordicchill77

nordicchill77 Member

10. RavenMadd

RavenMadd Senior Member

just find a style thats you or styles and be your own drill sargent

11. LR Guitar

LR Guitar Junior Member

Hey all. I'm a guitar teacher in Montreal who has started an online lessons site to "showcase" my teaching style. I also have an NRJ Les Paul style guitar that plays beautifully...:) It is now my main gigging guitar, making my other guitars, jealous...:)

Lyle (LR)

12. LR Guitar

LR Guitar Junior Member

Hi Barcham. I know exactly how you feel! I felt the same as Joan Jett as that was my own experience as well with the one lesson that I took when I first started out learning guitar...:shock: That was a great scene btw...I didn't like the whole Runaways movie and much preferred the documentary titled "Edgeplay"...but that's just me!

Also, and I hope I'm not out of line here, seeing that I just joined this forum...if you are still looking for a Montreal based guitar teacher...feel free to let me know. I promise not to teach you "Au Claire Du La Lune"...:)

Take care and all the best.

Lyle (LR)

13. skelingtony

skelingtony Senior Member

In my opinion, it will help if you can find some other people who play, or are learning as well. Jamming with others (even if its only power chord strumming) means you learn the guitar as a musician.

I'm self taught, but I know this doesn't work for everyone. I just kept plugging away at replicating songs I liked, with a book of basic scales and chords (the way Skynard mentioned). I learned over ten years ago now, and in a way, its much easier these days with free guitar lessons online, youtube lessons, online TAB, and forums like this one. Practice is still just as important though!

14. mikedstk

mikedstk Junior Member

i signed up for gutiar jamz. but he keeps sending me beginner blues lessons. Is this the best way to learn for a true beginner?

Bytor1958 likes this.
  15. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter

Guitar lessons can really accelerate your learning curve. (Is that a mixed metaphor or just bad English?) Anyway.

But what I found was that playing / practicing every day was what made me a better player. Then playing music with other musicians as well helped make me a better musician. Doesn't even have to be with other guitarists.

Play, listen, groove.

16. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

you need a good teacher, and this book
    [​IMG]

17. Vitro

Vitro Member

I picked up a guitar a year ago and started by using Justin Sandercoe's website which I did find very useful, I could play most of the open chords pretty well within a couple of weeks. I don't really have the discipline to follow the course rigidly though so dropped off for quite a few months. Started having proper lessons with a tutor about two months ago and that really forces you to keep up the practice because you don't wanna be wasting your lesson fees, and it is great having someone there who can answer your specific questions and can tell you exactly where you are going wrong.

Marty Schwartz is good too... whenever there's a song that I'd like to learn to play it's usually one of his videos that comes up top on YouTube and they've always been great!

18. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Senior Member

go to Online Guitar Lessons | JamPlay.com email them tell em your new and they/ll give free week-jamplay has everything even teachers live-no charge

19. olwanger

olwanger Senior Member

Lick Library has some great DVD courses and jam tracks as well.In particular I like Danny Gill's "Rock Guitar In 6 Weeks","Electric Blues In 6 Weeks" and "Advanced Blues In 6 Weeks".They have hundreds of tutorial DVD's and online lessons covering anything you can think of including lessons on how to play classic rock,metal,jazz and different bands and artist's styles and songs.DVD's are very professionally done with multiple camera angles showing both the fret hand and picking hand.I like how they will use certain licks,etc. to guide your thinking toward understanding certain important/key concepts-the idea being that the lick isn't what is important but rather the concept behind it."If a man comes to you hungry you can cook him a meal,but then every time he get hungry he will be dependent on you to feed him.Or,you can teach him to cook for himself and he'll never again go hungry".
    LickLibrary.com - Guitar Tuition, Backing Tracks, TAB, MP3 Downloads, Transcriptions