Best Fuzz Pedal

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Rikochet, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mattymel

mattymel Senior Member

i tried a bunch before finally deciding humbuckers and fuzz dont really mix. p90s are way better with a les paul. but the one i finally settled on was the wattson superfuzz. cool pedal.

2. stadams

stadams Senior Member

What kind of music do you play? And how much do you want to spend?

Depending on what you buy, the tone bender clones are awesome for late 60's early 70's stuff. If you can find one--good luck--get one of these. Probably the best tone bender clone you can find. If not, get the 1966 they offer. For modern fuzz tones, their are quite a few new ones out there. I was looking at a couple of pedals by Devi Ever : fx. They seem to have quite the underground following.

3. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

Redwitch Fuzzgod II. Best one I've found so far. I've heard alot of good things about the Horn fuzz too.

4. Paragon

Paragon Senior Member

That's the thing. I don't play much. Still learning :thumb:
    Interests are in Hendrix, Page, clapton/cream at the moment. Will probably get into someheavier stuff (metallica, alice in chains, ozzy, etc) My music taste is pretty wide.
    I have a partscaster with Lace Sensor golds in it.
    and a LP type with some humbuckers in it.. should just put this in my signature.. :hmm:

Yeah.. Love the DAM pedals. That 66 page demo song is stuck in my head. That page got me kinda lookin away from the arbiters.

Big muff kinda like the Fuzz Sound? Not sure if I need that much pedal seeing how I was gonna be happy with a fuzz face yesterday.

Anyhoo. I can't spend too much on it with no job and stuff.. and cause I can't justify spending more on a pedal than I have on the guitars at this point in time. (really shouldn't be buying one seeing how I'm not even good enough for the wah I have)

Kinda leaning toward a DIY.. perhaps a mkii clone. .. with mods.. Switch to cut out the first transistor.. turn it into a fuzz.. :hmm: Probably go simplistic for now .. can mod later if I want.

5. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

love pedals purple plexi and dragon are nice ones.

6. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

I really like the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. You can dial up some really angry, grinding sounds and awesome fuzz on it.

7. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

There are so many different flavors of fuzz that you really need to try out a bunch to make a decision. Right now I'm rockin' the Fulltone '70 fuzz. I like that it has a mid knob so it's not too dark sounding.

8. asher67

asher67 Senior Member

If you're budget-conscious, consider the Boss FZ-3. It is a discontinued pedal which can be found for less than $50, and it's all discrete electronics - no IC chips. Unfortunately, because it's a Boss, there is no "true by-pass", but it is a very nice-sounding fuzz.

9. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Have a look at the Fulltone Catalyst fuzz, never used one personally but I hear they're amazing... I honestly am not a huge fan of my Fuzzface... IMO they're for single coils.

10. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Check this one out: FuzzNutz

The guy's from Austin - he's the only one I'll let work on my amps. Quirky as hell, but an amazing guy.

Oh, and rumor has it some "sharp dressed man" prefers this fuzz pedal as well. :naughty:

11. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Well I've built a few fuzz pedals in the last year in search of the golden tone. I love the sound of germanium fuzzes but sometimes they can be pretty temperature dependent. Maybe look into a good silicon based fuzz pedal.

Here's my favorite Fuzz Face based pedal. It has american Texas Instruments 2N1377 transistors in it. It can be quiet some days and noisey on a real humid day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried making the Zvex Fuzz Factory and my version is pretty wild. Sometimes it sounds cool but it's a rather noisey beast. I haven't tried a real one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note: Someone asked me to build this. I made it out of personal interest to hear what it sounded like as I have no intention on buying one. It's part of my personal collection and I have no intention of selling Zvex copies.

Note 2: This pedal is pretty much an MK-II pedal with extra controls. I find it way too complicated to use.

Lately I've been digging the colorsound overdriver/power boost. It can get you that cleaned up fuzz sound without the hassle of the germanium transistors. I made mine out of a bunch of old parts from my local surplus store:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So at the end of the day I'd look into the silicon based pedals like the BMP (I particularly like the Russian version, never tried Triangle), Silicon Fuzz Face copies (Woolly Mammoth, Meathead, etc.), or the Colorsound pedals which you can get off ebay or straight from Macaris in London if you can afford it.

12. willievega

willievega Junior Member

Here's a contender, the Quinn Fuzz Petal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZDtdtIy4HI]‪QuinnAmp Fuzz Petal‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgfgeYBHJQ]‪Quinn Petal Fuzz‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

13. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

14. Montrose

Montrose Senior Member

Are we talking silicon, or germanium fuzz?

15. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

My hand wired Red Russian Fuzz builds with new old stock NPN Germanium Transistors and the BC108 Silicon Fuzz box's are probably my Favorite Fuzz pedals to play around with. I may be biased since I built them myself :D (pun intended)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne41tFA9yOQ&feature=channel_video_title]‪Silicon & Germanium Fuzz demo.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0rNlDzMbRI&feature=channel_video_title]‪Red Russian Germanium FUZZ pedal - Bias Switch Demo.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  16. Montrose

Montrose Senior Member

[​IMG] http://youtu.be/RTg448uIJcQ
    Wendigo silicon fuzz....amazing fuzz pedal, with easy controls that are also pretty funny. The "Howl" is the volume, the "Growl"is the dirt controls, "Find Him" turns it on,"Make him made" activates all these wierd squeels and shreiks that can be controled with your volume... cool stuff! "Hungry/full" is the boost switch, and anger controls how sharp or smooth the fuzz is. It's boutique, with a price tag around $250+. I traded mine, but am in the process of getting another.IMO, this is the only fuzz pedal. It sounds very real, very organic.

17. nauc

nauc Senior Member

the Mojo Hand Colossus Fuzz sounds promising

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTKJqQ-0oc]Mojo Hand Colossus Fuzz Demo - YouTube[/ame]

18. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

I'm very happy with my Blackout Effectors Musket. It's the swiss army knife of fuzz pedals. It does eaverything from those mushy vintage Big Muff tones to distortion. It works great with my single pole Strat and my LP Standard. Here it is stacked with a SD1 OD and set up for more of a distortion tone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPypT1Wwq8g]Musket Demo Them Bones - YouTube[/ame]

19. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

My favorite Fuzz pedals are based on the Fuzz Face circuit. I'm not a big EHX Big Muff fan. I prefer milder fuzz and I just like the Fuzz Face circuit more in general. I currently don't own a fuzz although I might looking at getting the Dunlop Bonamassa Fuzz or perhaps an Analogman Sunface.

20. alexmania

alexmania Senior Member

I have a Green House overdrive which is very organic and restrained. Sounds great through a Fender and keeps the dynamics of the guitar. I also have a Mad Professor Sweet Honey overdrive that cleans up when you pick lighter. It's a medium gain so it may not have the extremity you might want but it pushes amps really well. Both of these are great rehearsal studio stomps although for a live gig it's the preamp in the Marshall. Anything else sounds like...well you didn't have a Marshall.