Best Fuzz Pedal

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Rikochet, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Rikochet

Rikochet Senior Member

I'm looking for a good fuzz pedal, so far the best ones iv'e found are the supersonic fuzz gun by death by audio and the fuzzfactory by zvex, any other suggestions or recommendations?

2. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

electro harmonix makes a couple versions of the big muff fuzz pedal if you want some old school jimi tone?

3. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

I'd say it depends on what type of tone you're after and how much you want to pay.

But, the most versatile fuzz I know of is the Retroman Sybil. I have the one with two sides - Silicon on one side and Germanium on the other. You can run each side separately or cascade one side into the other. It's a bit price, but it's technically two pedals in one. Joe, the builder, is a nice guy too. He answers emails fast and keeps you updated on the build process. He even signed mine and put a personalized note.

My other fuzz pedal is a MJM Foxey Fuzz - if you want that big fat fuzz ala Big Muff, I would recommend this one. Not as much fizziness as other fuzz pedals. I bought mine off eBay for $80!!! Worth every penny. It's a bit finnicky though - is almost unusable on some amps as it causes so much feedback. On Fender amps, I've had zero problems with this pedal....on Marshall amps, I can't turn up the volume on the pedal too much.

4. Les is paul

Les is paul Member

Death by audio and fuzz factory are mentioned so try these they kick ass -

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2-r1oLrB0G0]YouTube - Shiva[/ame]

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6_60d93Bkz4&feature=channel_page]YouTube - The Great Destroyer!!!![/ame]

Watch all the vids as you can see whats avaliable as he starts off pretty harsh (which I like) then goes mellow and atari style.
    Both these pedals are NOT ONE TRICK PONIES and you can do a lot with themdepending on your style. Another to try is REDWITCH there nice.

I have my Fuzz pedals custom made using geranium 128 and it kicks ass.
    It cost me £60 and it was to my own spec of what I wanted it to do as I've tried most Fuzz's and I found it was like off and on and that's your lot.

I do have a big muff which are pretty forgiving and you can do a lot with them, but look for TRUE BYPASS one's so they don't colour your sound.

I did a 2 minute mod to mine to get that SIAMESE DREAM tone and by jingle is it worth it, you get corgan in a box without a fender. I also added a feedback loop as well.

I can put a vid up of it if you like of either?!

Good luck in your quest for tones!

5. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

i was going to say big muff as well.... works great with a wah as well =D

6. JoelmBenge

JoelmBenge Senior Member

The Beavis Fuzzlab!

Beavis Audio Research

Just saw this posted on Make.com. I have no clue about pedals and stuff. But it seemed to be a nice coincidence to this post. :)

7. tomaburque

tomaburque Senior Member

Since I have a really good Marshall I don't use a pedal with my guitars that have humbuckers. But with single coils a good distortion pedal can be very useful. For an 80s tone this is the best I've heard:

[​IMG]

8. jonesy

Great pedal, I bought one of the first ones they made just like that, but more of a distortion than a true fuzzzzz pedal :)

9. tomaburque

tomaburque Senior Member

jonesy -

Yeah, Rat is not a fuzz in the strict sense of the word. But turn the filter all the way down it's gets pretty fizzy. I run the filter (works the opposite of a treble control) between noon and 3pm on the neck pickup of a Strat above the 12th fret and it gets an absolutely gorgeous "woman tone".

10. jonesy

Yes, I always liked that filter control :thumb:

11. Les is paul

Les is paul Member

"Blur song 2" - RAT's defining moment!

12. dalandan

dalandan Member

Tone Benders are what I fancy nowadays. Fuzz Faces are always good too. I never fell in love with the Muff. It isn't my tone, I guess.

The RAT is on my board though. It is the in-between of the tonebender and fuzzface. IMO. :)

13. GuitarnLax36

GuitarnLax36 Senior Member

Ok from my boutiqe perspective great fuzzes come from companies like Sweet Sound (they sell a bunch of different types of fuzzes google them) , Fulltone had the 69' fuzz that was awesome but they discontinued that and now they only sell the 70' which is awesome too, Analogman sells the sunface and they have MANY different options and fine tunings that they allow you to do with their pedals, the Barber Trifecta fuzz is a great pedal, also the new dunlop jimi hendrix pedal is awesome its the pewder blue one supposidly it is an exact replica of jimi's and is true bypass. Check them out there are a lot that I missed but those are some great ones

14. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I can say good things for both the analogue man, sunface and, the zvex, fuzzfactory...both are great pedals that I own...

also another thought would be a UFO from homebrew electronics or the ultimate octave from full tone....both can be used with or with out the octave fx...once again I owm both and they are very good....(I also have the johnny octave)

15. Les is paul

Les is paul Member

Zvex Wooly Mammoth -

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5XW8-9P_FFw]YouTube - Z Vex Woolly Mammoth pedal demo[/ame]

16. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Try to get a repro of the Tone Bender or go to small bear electronics and buy a kit.
    Turned out pretty nice for me along with the Phase 90 repro kit.

17. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I used my USA Big Muff Pi with my Super Reverb RI for the first time today. I've had the Big Muff for a couple of years. With some tweaking, it produces a decent range of usable sounds. The problem I have with it is the tone sucking. Unless I have some reason to use it, it is not going into the chain. Unacceptable. At least the damn thing doesn't click with a loud pop like my Small Clone.

I like the pedal enough not to sell it, but there has to be something much better for true fuzz.

Edit: There is something much better. Fulltone '69. This is the single best pedal I have ever used.

18. solacematt

solacematt Member

I use an An American Big Muff Pi for my distortion. Love it. It enables me to get the wall of sound/dreamlike/Smashing Pumpkins distorted sound that I always wanted.
    As far as mainstream, commercially available fuzz pedals are concerned, it's the best one out. Definatly beats out the Fuzz Face and the Boss fuzz pedal.

19. Paragon

Paragon Senior Member

I'm in the market for a Fuzz. I was originally set on a Fuzz Face but I found the MKII types. Look like similar animals with the addition of a third input transistor on the MKII.
    tempted to get a BYOC ESV fuzz or bender. Any suggestions?

20. gibbbbbbbaaaay!!!

gibbbbbbbaaaay!!! Senior Member

Ok I'm back! I'd say big muff Paragon! (Running for cover now!) I almost bought one but was a complete dumbass and got a iPod Touch instead! I love my Touch but I still regret getting that instead! So yeah EHX Big Muff.